• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

I know we will not be real good next year because we will still be real young and we will only really turn the corner during McKie's senior year, but just the new faces and new talent coming in is really exciting. I feel bad for Travis though we will start getting better as he is on his way out and he deserves better.

I know we will not be real good next year because we will still be real young and we will only really turn the corner during McKie's senior year, but just the new faces and new talent coming in is really exciting. I feel bad for Travis though we will start getting better as he is on his way out and he deserves better.

It's not that often that players give more to MSD than they get back, but Travis McKie certainly fits that bill. His career actually makes me sad.

For anyone in the Maryland DC suburbs, Moto (Episcopal) is playing at Georgetown Prep on Saturday at 7pm in North Bethesda (Rockville). Episcopal is #5 in the Post's rankings at 11-1.

Like many have said, 2012 looks like a nice foundational class. We still need to pick up a star or two in 2013.

Hopefully it'll be a SG and a big. If a third scholarship opens up a combo PG would be nice.

Disagree on 2013 in a big way. The stars are gonna be int he 2012 class.

Yeah, who needs good players anyway. We have to recruit down in 2013.

1: CMM, TC, Fields
2: Fisher, Moto, CMM, Roundtree
3: McKie, Roundtree, Cavanaugh
4: Thomas, Cavanaugh, Green
5: Desrosiers, Thomas, Washington

Where could we possibly use an NBA first-rounder in this rotation???

I seriously doubt that Chase is going to start in that lineup. It's also really hard to project Carson at this point. Besides 2 blocks a game, Carson is a non-factor in our weak 6 man rotation.

I seriously doubt that Chase is going to start in that lineup. It's also really hard to project Carson at this point. Besides 2 blocks a game, Carson is a non-factor in our weak 6 man rotation.

Let me flip it then:

Assuming in 2013 we have the following:

Where would you plug in the elite future NBA 1st rounder? The 5? I don't think it is going to be easy to talk a 2 into coming after the 2011 and 2012 classes bring 2 1/2 shooting guards in Fisher, Moto, CMM, and Roundtree.

I'm obviously not opposed to bringing in a Rodney Rogers or Tim Duncan - but when I eyeball that roster, I don't find it critical.

Not suggesting we turn down an NBA first-rounder dickhead. Just saying that they may already be on the roster next year. We may only need to recruit depth. I think next year's class is going to be epic.

Next year's class will be ok. Epic? That's insane.

Now whether Bz can recruit anyone any better in 2013 is a reasonable question because there will be a decent chance he's fired before that class steps on to campus.

haha. You're a clown.

I think we may have Russell Westrbrook and Carlos Boozer coming in as frosh next year. That's all I'm saying. If you try and go out recruit the equivalent of Mike Conley and Greg Oden in 2013 and they pass on you for whatever reason - including simply eyeballing the roster in 2012, then you are in trouble in like 2015, particularly if anyone leaves early.

I think you go out and get guys who like to chop wood in in 2013.

Not suggesting we turn down an NBA first-rounder dickhead. Just saying that they may already be on the roster next year. We may only need to recruit depth. I think next year's class is going to be epic.

Have you personally seen any of the 6 recruits play a game of basketball in person? If so, how many of them and how many times each? Cheers.

Have you personally seen any of the 6 recruits play a game of basketball in person? If so, how many of them and how many times each? Cheers.

I have. I've been working on a creative project and talking to a few Div 1 assistant coaches up here and some recruiting gurus. Everybody loves Thomas and shocked he's coming to Wake. If the Big East hadn't have imploded I don't think we get him, but we do. These are all Northeast guys as I live up here, so CMM is a hunch based on video and internet chatter. Thomas, I've only seen play once, but he is for real. Smart kid, hard worker, great teeth. He's a wood chopper as they say - less athletic Blake Griffin. I think he fashions his game after him but just a guess. He does the long sleeve t-shirt thing which Blake used to do ...

I absolutely love the 2012 class and think it will do great things for the WF program. That said if you can get a stud SG recruit you do it immediately. Same with any player that you think may be good enough to be a first round talent. No program in the country is in a position to turn down talent like that, unless recruiting said player would piss another recruit off that you think is just or more talented but more likely to come to WF. That said, great players love to play with other great players and I don't think that would be a problem with any kid that will be on the roster.

Moto is more of a 3/4 not a 2/3 an will take time to grow into an effective 3 and asking him to transform his game into a 2 is really pushing it and would take away his greatest strengths IMO.

Fisher is a 2 guard but not one that would ever scare any elite 2G away from WF.

Tree is a point forward and with his shot should never be asked to play any guard position besides the 1, and that would only be on offense. His length on defense will be a huge asset as a 3 and he will relieve the other guards of pressure when WF gets pressed as most teams wouldn't have anyone his size that he couldn't bring the ball up against.

So I see it as CMM is the best SG prospect WF is bringing in, and that's not the position he's being recruited for and won't be his position if he is as good as I think he is and has the ability to play professionally for a living. In short, you absolutely bring in a stud SG in 2013 if the opportunity presents it's self.

haha. You're a clown.

I think we may have Russell Westrbrook and Carlos Boozer coming in as frosh next year. That's all I'm saying. If you try and go out recruit the equivalent of Mike Conley and Greg Oden in 2013 and they pass on you for whatever reason - including simply eyeballing the roster in 2012, then you are in trouble in like 2015, particularly if anyone leaves early.

I think you go out and get guys who like to chop wood in in 2013.

You certainly don't have a history of hyping up our incoming frosh to unreasonable levels, lectro.

I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised. He's a shot blocker and scraps for rebounds.

But my point was more along the lines of - Green is a smart kid who keeps his feet moving. If Bzd gets nothing out of him next year, that's a tell for me. Bzd did wonders in Denver with about four guys that were the NBA version of Green: hustlers, if you will. Guys that brought energy. So, if he can't get Green to be a positive on the court next year in a similar way, even for 8-10 minutes, I am concerned about his college coaching abilities.

If Walker and Tabb are gone and I am going to assume they are, then Green is our backup center. For some reason, I am far more comfortable with that than if Green and Walker were gone and Tabb was our backup center.

To survive in the ACC this year, we're going to have to scrap for every rebound. Green is a scrapper. So is McKie. So is TC, I am hoping. Carson did not reveal himself to be much of a scrapper last year, so Green could actually prove to be crucial.

Call it a hunch. Because that is what it is. We need a scrapper in there trying to get rebounds. Nikita is one. McKie is probably our best rebounder. If Green can provide that for 8 to 20 minutes, awesome. He doesn't have to score. We also are going to need a guard fight for rebounds a la Jason Kidd. CJ and Terrell didn't really provide that last year so on the assumption they won't next year, that leaves TC. He has the physical and mental makeup for it, but you have to be able to anticipate where missed shots are going to be a good rebounding guard. We'll see.

I think Green's going to be better than most people think ... next year. In college hoops, you do not need to have any offensive game at the 5. Virginia for years has trotted out a center who can't score until they are a senior. As long as Green does not commit frosh fouls (a big if), and can score if nobody guards him (i.e., cut to the basket, have hands at minimum better than Kevin Swinton), he'll be a positive on the court.

Green should be right in Bzd's wheelhouse, I feel. He's a smart kid, a motivated kid who chose to play for Bzd. If Bzd can't get good minutes out of him when there a minutes that are desperate to be had, that is a bad sign, for me. Unless he's just a horrible defender, but I don't think he is. I think he's a good defender with fast feet and good lateral movement for a big.

Green and Fischer should see quality minutes from game 1. Both are needed.

McKie 35
CJ 30
Carson 30
TC 25
JTT 25
Fish 20
Green 15
Nikita 13
Fields 7

I think Fischer is going to be a better fit than JTT was ever going to be, and a kid like Downey, who might start for two years then come off the bench for two years and be productive at both. Total hunch. I think our offense will move the ball better with potentially two point guards on the court for 25 minutes a game (CJ + TC or Fields).

But I think Chase is going to make a major impact, somewhat out of necessity. I think Green will bang and Fields I have no clue.

I think I was fairly prescient. It's kind of laughable to try and dis my prognostications of this season before it started compared to everyone else. You were thinking we'd win 8 games all year. I've already won $20 bucks from you and $100 from two others ($50 still outstanding from TBR1982).

Green IS better than Tabb and WOULD be playing important minutes if we had lost Walker like we thought we had. Walker is taking minutes that I thought Green would have to play out of necessity.

Fischer IS better than most everybody expected. He hasn't scored like he I thought he would, but I def like him on the court more than I liked JT, and I really really wanted to like JT

Chase is averaging 6.5ppg on 35.4% shooting.

And I thought we would only win 8 games by the end of the non-conference schedule. We won 9. I'm such a moron.

If you thought we'd win 8 games, you were an idiot for taking a bet on 8 wins being a push. So ... I guess you really are a moron.

I said Chase would have a huge impact. Maybe not quite huge, but he's had a big impact. He's a batter passer and tougher player than I thought he'd be as a frosh. I'd rather a frosh score 6.5 ppg on 35% shooting than 11 ppg on 35% shooting. Travis and CJ are shooting 50% so ideally they get those shots, right?

Chase is averaging 6.5ppg on 35.4% shooting.

And I thought we would only win 8 games by the end of the non-conference schedule. We won 9. I'm such a moron.

Oh, c'mon dv7. Here is your prediction for the season.

"I see us getting anywhere from 7-10 wins. Put an over/under at 10.5 and I'd be very interested."

Then you refused to bet on 10 wins for the season and had to get talked into betting on the first half instead.

Considering we're at 10 wins now, bashing another poster for their predictions is a bit hypocritical, don't you think? Especially predictions based off Ty being dismissed from the team instead of becoming our starting center?

Back