• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

Haven't heard much about the California kid Donovan Mitchell that signed with us. Anyone have a pro's/ con's to his game? I like that we already have a crafty PG who can score, pure shooter at SG and a big man with low post moves.

Haven't heard much about the California kid Donovan Mitchell that signed with us. Anyone have a pro's/ con's to his game? I like that we already have a crafty PG who can score, pure shooter at SG and a big man with low post moves.

hopefully, these 4 can play defense because we sure are lacking in that area with the present team.

I'll see what if I can track down anything, but it's hard to find anything about him outside of box scores. He plays in Fresno and has the same name as a 2014 SG now at Louisville, which probably has something to do with it.

Here is some very limited tape from Hudl (mainly of him dunking):
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4902280/donovan-mitchell

From the Modesto Bee:
http://www.modbee.com/sports/high-s...e.com/sports/high-school/article51843265.html
▪ Donovan Mitchell, Buchanan: The 6-foot-9 senior is as versatile as any player in the tournament. With guard skills and an overwhelming height advantage on most high school players, Mitchell can play on the wing or the block. But to completely appreciate his versatility and explosiveness, one must understand that Mitchell isn’t just an accomplished basketball player. He helped lead Buchanan to the Central Section boys volleyball championship in the fall, racking up a match-high 19 kills in the title match. Next game: vs. Pleasant Grove, Monday at noon.

Went to IC to see what they had to say about Rechon. I got a chuckle out of some dumbass that bragged that Roy seems to get every kid who's parents are educators. It's amazing now they are able to marry top flight hoops with such rigorous academics.

Carla runs her ship a lot like UNC ran (probably still does let's be honest) theirs so it's a good fit

I can't remember if this has been posted yet, but we offered 2018 PG Jaelin Llewellyn last week.

Jaelin Llewellyn
6'2, 165 (2018)

3-star Rivals
He doesn't have a profile yet on Scout, ESPN or 247.

Offers include Wake, Providence, Tennessee, UNLV, and Creighton.

He plays for CIA Bounce, though, which is a good sign.

Last edited:
Very little on Donovan Mitchell, but his last three games were
January 16th - 19 points
January 19th - 15 points
January 22nd - 14 points

His team does not appear to be very good, these were all losses and they now are 9-12 for the year

January 16th - 19 points
January 19th - 15 points
January 22nd - 14 points

His team does not appear to be very good, these were all losses and they now are 9-12 for the year

Anything is possible, but hard to get excited about an under the radar guy who doesn't put up great numbers on a bad team playing presumably average HS basketball.

Anything is possible, but hard to get excited about an under the radar guy who doesn't put up great numbers on a bad team playing presumably average HS basketball.

I'm not sure that this is the right way to look at the situation.

If your issue with Mitchell is that he is under the radar, then you're probably going to have an issue with the entire class of 2016.

Mitchell is the least under-the-radar prospect among our 3-star commits, ranking #147 in the Rivals Top-150.

By the numbers, that puts him behind SJM as the second best recruit in our 2016 class.

January 16th - 19 points
January 19th - 15 points
January 22nd - 14 points

Maybe his team doesn't have a good point guard to get him the ball. If his team is that average, he's likely getting a lot of double-teams.

Washington is putting up big numbers and Chill is having a good year by all accounts. We need shooters. That's 2 very good ones.

I'm not sure that this is the right way to look at the situation.

If your issue with Mitchell is that he is under the radar, then you're probably going to have an issue with the entire class of 2016.

Mitchell is the least under-the-radar prospect among our 3-star commits, ranking #147 in the Rivals Top-150.

By the numbers, that puts him behind SJM as the second best recruit in our 2016 class.

Is under the radar the same as diamond in the rough?

I would say diamond in the rough is some ranked as low as say a Rondale (if Rondale goes on to be a major contributor) and under the radar is a 3* that over performs his ranking in college.

Jaelin Llewellyn has to be the son of former Deac Cordell Llewellyn right? Cordell played one year in the early nineties before transferring to Rhode Island and he is retweeting some of Jaelin's tweets so I'm putting two and two together.

Jaelin Llewellyn has to be the son of former Deac Cordell Llewellyn right? Cordell played one year in the early nineties before transferring to Rhode Island and he is retweeting some of Jaelin's tweets so I'm putting two and two together.

There ARE some brains left in SC! Good work.

I've always considered a diamond in the rough to be an unheralded recruit that with development can be made into a major contributor. While an under the radar player is a player that can contribute higher than his ranking suggests but for whatever reason isn't getting the appropriate level of attention on the recruiting trail.

Using football as an example, Aaron Curry would be a diamond in the rough while Riley Skinner was an under the radar recruit.

I've always considered a diamond in the rough to be an unheralded recruit that with development can be made into a major contributor. While an under the radar player is a player that can contribute higher than his ranking suggests but for whatever reason isn't getting the appropriate level of attention on the recruiting trail.

Using football as an example, Aaron Curry would be a diamond in the rough while Riley Skinner was an under the radar recruit.

Agree with this. When I read your descriptions, Timmy popped into my mind. Which category would he have fallen under?

I would consider Duncan an under the radar recruit. He was able to make a significant contribution right away but was under recruited because he was in the Virgin Islands.

I would consider Duncan an under the radar recruit. He was able to make a significant contribution right away but was under recruited because he was in the Virgin Islands.

No, no, no...you are describing off the radar. Huge difference, with respect to Doppler2000 accuracy.

Back