• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Paul Controversy

Meh, I agree it doesn't really mean anything, but saying "Maybe this is not for her" comes across as a snide remark on her being a female. Sorry, but it does.

That would make sense if his reason for bitching was that she was a female instead of the bad call.

"If she's going to make that call, maybe this is not for her." directly points to the CALL as the source of frustration, not that she's a female.

What do the female board members think? Just curious. My wife would say this is a non-issue.

That would make sense if his reason for bitching was that she was a female instead of the bad call.

"If she's going to make that call, maybe this is not for her." directly points to the CALL as the source of frustration, not that she's a female.

Nope. If he wanted to specifically say something about the call, he should have said something like, "That was a terrible call. No one in their right mind would ever make that call."

What he said sounds/reads like he is specifically being snide when referring to the fact that she's a female.

Nope. If he wanted to specifically say something about the call, he should have said something like, "That was a terrible call. No one in their right mind would ever make that call."

What he said sounds/reads like he is specifically being snide when referring to the fact that she's a female.

She's not new to being a female, she is new to being a referee. He was taking a shot at her inexperience.

She's not new to being a female, she is new to being a referee. He was taking a shot at her inexperience.

I actually tend to agree, but it's not what it sounds like he's saying. I also didn't "hear" him say it. When I read it as a quote, it reads as a shot at her being a female, so I understand why some people are up in arms about it.

At the end of the day, it's much ado about nothing, and I agreed with everyone that's over and done with now and no one really cares any longer.

What do the female board members think? Just curious. My wife would say this is a non-issue.

His comments are being blown out of proportion by the PC police. In my opinion, he was commenting on the inexperience of the ref who had a quick whistle when being challenged.

Bunch or reasons this is nonsense.

1) Rookie referee. If Paul says "maybe this isn't for him" about a young looking guy ref in his first year out nobody bats an eyelash. Respect for tenured refs and voicing frustrations against inexperienced refs has a long, accepted history in the NBA.

2) The call was awful. It's not like he's overreacting because she's a woman. She screwed up and then compounded it by overreacting.

3) She's not the first, or only, female NBA referee. She's the 3rd full timer. She's not the poster child for breaking through the NBA glass ceiling and she's not the first female ref the players have been exposed to.

4) Chris Paul has a history of being chipping with all referees, and has no history of being a sexist douche (to my knowledge).

But it's a 24 hour news cycle and you can only talk about Tiger for so many hours of the day.

His comments are being blown out of proportion by the PC police. In my opinion, he was commenting on the inexperience of the ref who had a quick whistle when being challenged.

This, exactly. Had nothing to do with said ref being a female.

The tenor of this thread is exactly what is wrong with today's society. The PC police have taken over. Screw it. Refs make bad calls and the fact that she is female shoud be immaterial. They want equality then, when someone makes a biting comment, they want the right to circumcize you for saying it. If Paul said it to one of the many male refs it's a non issue. Scew the PC and screw the NBA. If you are going to work in a fast paced pressure cooker then bring your thick skin. Otherwise, resign and jon a cooking school.

Chris Paul's temper may well have cost WF a Final Four appearance in 2005. Without the ACCT loss to NC State while he was suspended, WF would have almost certainly have been a #1 seed instead of Washington....and the West Virginia game would never have happened.

The nut punch was an extremely selfish act on Paul's part that showed a total disregard for his team and the unique opportunity it had to reach the school's 2nd Final Four.....but keep making excuses and giving him a pass on it.

The suspension was self-imposed to appease sorry old Wake white folk who still aren't comfortable with uppitty coloreds on their basketball court.

But keep revising history to blame him. CP3 is no Billy Packer...

Back