• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Paul Controversy

You're down 20 now, homie

Last edited:
"You're down 20, homie."

1. How many ACC Tourney games did Wake win with CP3 on the roster?

2. How many NCAA Tourney games did Wake win with CP3 on the roster?

I figured this place would have quicker responses than the Google.

1. How many ACC Tourney games did Wake win with CP3 on the roster?

2. How many NCAA Tourney games did Wake win with CP3 on the roster?

I figured this place would have quicker responses than the Google.

And he has won two more playoff series than he won Atlantic Coast Conference games games at Wake Forest. He has twice advanced to the second round of the playoffs but that is it and is 17-25 overall in the playoffs. Have to give it to him in that he has won 2 gold medals with amazing talent around him. And it seems that he at least won 1 NCAA tournament game in 2005 because we did advance to the second round that year. His freshman year we advance to the Regionals where we lost to St Joseph's so he won 2 games that year, making him 3-2 at Wake Forest in the NCAA tournament.

Chris Paul's temper may well have cost WF a Final Four appearance in 2005. Without the ACCT loss to NC State while he was suspended, WF would have almost certainly have been a #1 seed instead of Washington....and the West Virginia game would never have happened.

The nut punch was an extremely selfish act on Paul's part that showed a total disregard for his team and the unique opportunity it had to reach the school's 2nd Final Four.....but keep making excuses and giving him a pass on it.

I'm sure he regrets the nutpunch and I agree, it probably cost us a great tourney run BUT I was at that game and the chant "I killed your grandpa" was audible from where I was sitting behind the WF bench. Hodge was in no way the innocent victim in this. He ran his mouth to CP throughout the game. While I don't know what Hodge said to CP, if it was anything close to what a fairly large section of students were chanting, I can understand why he did it.

I also understand why he was punished. It was deserved because the nutpunch was dirty.

The curse of Wake Forest. If the nutpunch hadn't happened, he would have contracted ebola or broke an ankle. A Final Four wouldn't have happened.

Being biased towards your own players is not ironic, it's part of of fandom. Or else we all would just abandon the school when they did something we didn't like.

You mean like buying a UNC sweatshirt and wearing it to a Wake game? That kind of abandonment?

I'm sure he regrets the nutpunch and I agree, it probably cost us a great tourney run BUT I was at that game and the chant "I killed your grandpa" was audible from where I was sitting behind the WF bench. Hodge was in no way the innocent victim in this. He ran his mouth to CP throughout the game. While I don't know what Hodge said to CP, if it was anything close to what a fairly large section of students were chanting, I can understand why he did it.

I also understand why he was punished. It was deserved because the nutpunch was dirty.

The curse of Wake Forest. If the nutpunch hadn't happened, he would have contracted ebola or broke an ankle. A Final Four wouldn't have happened.

If he was retaliating to something Hodge said I would have respected (for lack of a better word) him more if flat out confronted him face to face. If you are not a fan of that type of bravado than let the officials know. However, a cheap shot nut punch is donkish. Not excusing the taunting...that is some serous low class shit but I wish Paul had taken a different path.

If he was retaliating to something Hodge said I would have respected (for lack of a better word) him more if flat out confronted him face to face. If you are not a fan of that type of bravado than let the officials know. However, a cheap shot nut punch is donkish. Not excusing the taunting...that is some serous low class shit but I wish Paul had taken a different path.

I do, too. It was dirty and never should have happened but something was going to happen that day. It was a very tense atmosphere. I honestly wish CP had punched Hodge in the face instead of the nut punch.

I know CP's parents heard the chant. At one point, Chris said something in the direction of the taunting. His mom was worried he would retaliate. This happened only a few years after the murder and we all know how close Chris was to his grandfather...maybe the trial was getting ready to start or it was the anniversary of his murder, but I seem to recall the date of the game being significant.

the very foundations of acc basketball have nary been the same since the sweatshirt incident of '85

The universal reaction to that one-time event 30 years ago from supposedly intelligent people with an elite WF education has become comical. Not only do these supposedly well-educated people continually get their facts wrong (I didn't buy a sweatshirt, Carl Tacy wasn't fired, etc.), but they seem completely incapable of understanding the rationale behind the action....no matter how many times or how thoroughly it has been explained to them. At the time I took that action I totally despised UNC....and wearing that sweatshirt was the most powerful way I could think of to show my total outrage & anger over Wake Forest's treatment of Carl Tacy. If I had liked Carolina, the entire point would have been lost. It is actually a fairly simple concept, so it's pretty shocking that supposedly intelligent people like WF graduates do not have the mental capacity to understand the rationale behind it.

you wore a Carolina shirt to a Wake game. there's nothing more that needs to be said.

My friend told me that cp3 sprained his wrist and hodge kept twisting it during the game. I don't have any first-hand knowledge whether he sprained his wrist. But I did notice that Hodge was twisting his wrist throughout the game.

Sidenote: where is RJ Karl? Gone for good?

The universal reaction to that one-time event 30 years ago from supposedly intelligent people with an elite WF education has become comical. Not only do these supposedly well-educated people continually get their facts wrong (I didn't buy a sweatshirt, Carl Tacy wasn't fired, etc.), but they seem completely incapable of understanding the rationale behind the action....no matter how many times or how thoroughly it has been explained to them. At the time I took that action I totally despised UNC....and wearing that sweatshirt was the most powerful way I could think of to show my total outrage & anger over Wake Forest's treatment of Carl Tacy. If I had liked Carolina, the entire point would have been lost. It is actually a fairly simple concept, so it's pretty shocking that supposedly intelligent people like WF graduates do not have the mental capacity to understand the rationale behind it.

I was outraged at the [Redacted] firing. Ron Wellman has infuriated me.

I stopped buying tickets. Hit 'em where it hurts.

I have yet to don a baby blue and white shirt/sweatshirt/sweater emblazoned with the universal emblem for cheating on the chest. Why? Because that's stupid.

My friend told me that cp3 sprained his wrist and hodge kept twisting it during the game. I don't have any first-hand knowledge whether he sprained his wrist. But I did notice that Hodge was twisting his wrist throughout the game.

RJ can be found on TOB

I also met Chris when I was a student (parties and through mutual friends). He was very down-to-earth and extremely mature for his age. I'm a big Chris Paul supporter. I agree with the suspension for the NC State game though. He is not the reason why we didn't go to the final four

Speaking of Gentleman Carl - why couldn't that dude recruit?

Evidently, you were not as upset & angry over Wellman as I was over the way WF fucked over Carl Tacy.

(Get back to me in 30 years to see if you are still upset about it.)

Ron Wellman didn't screw over one person, he screwed an entire fanbase and program.

There was a lot of dirty going on in that game, directed to CP. Not only from Hodge, but other players as well.

From what I was told, Skip Prosser handled the situation after the game. I also think that game is what made CPs decision to go pro early very easy. The guy had been brutalized that season.

Back