• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson To Boycott Colbert

Clawson's convincing guys that we are prestigious. All that matters, and an impressive job by him

Exactly. Somebody has to believe we're prestigious if we're going to actually be prestigious.

This interview from 2016 QB Commit Jamie Newman from the Elite 11 semi-finals may help explain Clawson's motives.

http://www.scout.com/college/footba...tory/1553839-newman-locked-in-with-wake?s=143

Q: What does that mean for you when you see your coach defend the program like he did and go after some one like that?

Newman: It's really exciting. For a head coach of a prestigious program like Wake Forest to actually step out of his character and actually respond to the nonsense, it's actually gets you pumped up to play for that guy.
Classic leading question posed to a 17-yr old. What else is he going to do, dismiss his future head coach's silliness.

Unreal to me that anyone would hold this against Clawson. What is wrong with people?

Classic leading question posed to a 17-yr old. What else is he going to do, dismiss his future head coach's silliness.

He didn't have to all in and talk about how exciting it is. He could have easily given a non-answer.

Oh I don't really care. It's no big deal. And Clawson is still The Man. But this is just a silly distraction IMO. He's a comedian, don't take it so personally. And like I posted earlier, if you're sick of such easy jokes, then win.

He didn't have to all in and talk about how exciting it is. He could have easily given a non-answer.

Few 17-year olds have the skill to answer tactfully. From what I've observed, most just want the interview to be over with, without having said anything dumb or controversial. So lay-up questions get lay-up answers.

Newman is going to say whatever makes the coach look good (which is smart), and the interviewer knows it. So he obtains a nice tidy little soundbite by asking a clearly leading question.

Well, I don't think Newman lied about it. I think he is genuinely pumped by Clawson's response.

What we can agree on is that Clawson is the type of coach whose players would run through a wall for him. I just don't think it's because of his indignance to the gentle jab of a late night talk show host.

I've only seen two interviews with Newman and both have been smart and tactful.

I got the impression we just had some donors foot the bill for Colbert.

I've only seen two interviews with Newman and both have been smart and tactful.

I'm glad for that. Sounds like we are bringing in a quality individual. But your larger point seemed to be that Clawson's motive was to show his recruits how seriously he takes alleged "insults" to the program, using Jamie Newman as a prime example. And if Jamie is truly that reflective, then good for him. Wake will be a nice fit.

My contention is that Newman is likely an exception to the rule. And that most recruits, while they love Clawson, either don't care about this issue or roll their eyes a bit like many of us here did. So I would argue he should rethink this motive and keep his head down and start winning, because that's what recruits are really looking for.

If he wants to get into a legitimate trash talk in the media with Fedora, Cutcliffe, or Doeren, I'm all for it. That's what recruits love. But Colbert? Eh.

My larger point has been that Clawson is using this as an opportunity to promote the program.

Yes, and it carries the risk of looking rather lame.

Nothing can be as lame as the last three years under Grobe. Not much of a risk really.

Those last three years were a joke. Colbert, who gets away with saying a lot, found an easy target. He's a comedian. He told the truth, with a joke.

At least we have a coach who doesn't want to run a program that is nationally considered a joke. This is progress. But if you don't want to be considered a joke, then don't complain about being a joke. Focus your efforts on winning games rather than risking looking a bit foolish with your complaints. Then there will be no more jokes.

I basically agree with you. Claw probably could've let it go but I'm glad our coach is fired up and wants to be taken seriously. Win some games and this goes away. Colbert makes a living taking cheap shots and mocking people. Stopped being funny a while back. this incident aside I like our coach is pissed off at the world right now.

Agreed on that. Like I say, I wish he and Fedora would start something up. Not that we ever play them, but he would have the most feistiness and frostiness of any of those three rivals. And Claw would have a lot of ammunition that recruits would notice.

Back