• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Almost none. I have an entry for the first day I posted on this board. That's about it....and I only have room for one line's description per day. About 100 characters or so. And, obviously, I don't think that what anyone says on this board is very important. It's mostly for meaningless entertainment. It's kind of like when one of my cousins calls me on the telephone. She talks forever and never says anything worth hearing. The nice thing about it, though, is that I can continue to use the computer and do whatever I was doing when she called while she talks. All I have to do is occasionally say ""right" or "yeah", etc. so she knows that I haven't hung up....but I don't listen to anything she said.

This board is kind of like that....and the first baseball game today doesn't start until 7 PM, so I still have a few dead hours until then.

You smack it with your cousin on the phone? That ain't right.

A Former Marine Explains All the Weapons of War Being Used by Police in Ferguson

Apologies for interrupting the bkf thread, but I thought this was an interesting read, as someone who doesn't know what most of these things are.

That guy is basically complaining about everything used in a crowd control situation. Not sure what he expects the cops to use in the event that an actual riot breaks out.

Tear gas is an ages old and very effective way to get mobs to disperse. Whether it has been used appropriately in Ferguson or not is something that can be debated, but its use is not a big deal. You won't die from tear gas, but you will GTFO. The stuff is nasty and works quite well.

bkf, did you have a lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet before and then convert it? visicalc? or was it just a ledger, and then you typed it all in?

I think you are mistaken. This was the game that Rogers hit the jumper at the end to beat a ranked Virginia team. It was a Saturday afernoon game the year before. I was there.

Feb. 2, 1980 13 Virginia H W 79-77

Virginia was ranked 13th not 3rd. But Wake wasn't very good that year, so it was a stunning upset.

snow on the ground?

I see what you are saying, because I am a white boy like you. But I think that "come out just fine" isn't really what happens to black folks a lot of the time. They probably don;t get shot in the street, I agree. I think they get taken in and a bunch of trumped up charges get thrown at them, then they get the shit beaten out of them multiple times by cops - sometimes to the death- with no cameras around, who write up reports that the black guy attacked them.

I think this happens more than you or I or anyone will ever know, and has been happening to black men for so long in America that it is ingrained in them at a young age. They grow up hearing about dads and uncles who were railroaded by the cops. just sayin

This is a myth IMO. It certainly happens but not on a grand scale. If it was going to happen anywhere with regularity it would happen in Mississippi and it simply isn't common at all. If it were in today's time we would hear about it. It certainly happened 20 years ago, and was probably fairly frequent, but now that everyone has a camera phone it just isn't a regular occurrence.

Trumped up charges to bring them in? Still happens. Beating a black kid senseless and blaming the kid? Chances are minuscule. I live in a predominantly black county and work in a county that is VERY predominately black. It would be common knowledge among both races if this still occurred. It just doesn't occur except in extreme cases, and when it does it makes the news.

This is a myth IMO. It certainly happens but not on a grand scale. If it was going to happen anywhere with regularity it would happen in Mississippi and it simply isn't common at all. If it were in today's time we would hear about it. It certainly happened 20 years ago, and was probably fairly frequent, but now that everyone has a camera phone it just isn't a regular occurrence.

Trumped up charges to bring them in? Still happens. Beating a black kid senseless and blaming the kid? Chances are minuscule. I live in a predominantly black county and work in a county that is VERY predominately black. It would be common knowledge among both races if this still occurred. It just doesn't occur except in extreme cases, and when it does it makes the news.

My Spidey sense cautions you to prepare for a confident yet ill-sourced rebuke.

On the other end of the economic spectrum is Huntington Beach. It's upscale and has little crime. Many of my black friends simply won't go downtown because of cops hassling them.

A perfect example of this happened 2-3 years ago. It took some effort, but I convinced my friends Sean and Derrick to join me downtown. Sean about 6'2 with a very athletic build. Derrick is 6'5 about 225. Each played college bball. Each has a masters degree.

We ate a friend's place that is well known in the city and county as a locals place. Upon leaving, we started walking towards the pier. Two cops crossed the street to follow us. Sean and D immediately recognized what was happening. I said they were paranoid. We stopped to look in the window of a bar/club. The cops stopped. When we started walking, they started walking. Sean and D weren't paranoid.

I turned around and walked calmly up to the cops and asked them why they were following us. One stammered that they weren't. I mentioned that they had crossed the street to be behind us. When we stopped, they stopped. When we started walking again, they started again.

I again asked why they were doing this. They just took off.

The next day I called the PD to make a complaint. They didn't want to hear it.

The concept that black people aren't legitimately afraid of the police, even when they haven't done anything wrong, is ludicrous.

black-power.jpg

My Spidey sense cautions you to prepare for a confident yet ill-sourced rebuke.
BREAKING NEWS: jhmd doesn't believe that black people still endure racism. I'm sure you'd support Asian Americans protesting the California University system.

BREAKING NEWS: jhmd doesn't believe that black people still endure racism. I'm sure you'd support Asian Americans protesting the California University system.

If your facts, intellectual honesty and reading comprehension were as true as your belief in the orthodoxy, you'd be an unstoppable force.

If your facts, intellectual honesty and reading comprehension were as true as your belief in the orthodoxy, you'd be an unstoppable force.
My reading comp is off the fuckin' charts, but don't ask for my help with algebra.

Back