• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA Off-season thread: Duncan and Garnett retire

Anyone who thinks TJ McConnell is a better option than Ish for the next three years doesn't know much. He's a guy with a blog.

I like Ish a lot as a human and less, but still a lot as a fan of a team who he has played professionally for.

Attracting free agents to Philly is still going to take a couple or a few years. I suspect getting to play with a generational talent like Embiid will help. The New Orleans model is a decent comparison.

I can't tell if this is a sarcastic post or not. Play what with Embiid - checkers in the recovery room? He makes Greg Oden look like Cal Ripken. Assuming he isn't already out for the year this season, what's the over/under on the number of actual games he plays before he is?

Rumor is that LA in San Antonio is on the trading block. I did think he did a piss-poor job of reacting to the Thunder's adjustments last year in the playoffs.

If you are RC Buford - and I guess this is a discussion for fellow Spurs donks - do you try and pry the Celtics Brooklyn Nets pick next year from them (and how? not so easy. I think you'd have to take on Amir Johnson + part), or do you try and hookwink a poorly run team.

My first call would be to the Kings in hopes that their dumbass owner would take Cousins + Barnes or Cousins + Caspi for Aldridge straight up.

You also might be able to Tyson Chandler, the rookie Bender and Archie Goodwin from Phoenix.

The Spurs have the problem and freedom of having only one player to build around and he is a bonafide elite player at only 25 years old. Nobody else has to be on the Spurs roster. It's time for Manu and Parker to give up their spots. Unless Danny Green steps it up, he needs to be gone. Hopefully Murray will prove his worth and be the PG of the future, but if not, the Spurs should go find their guy.

I like LMA. It's hard to trade a star and get good value. But I do see the advantage of rebuilding this season to prepare the roster for 2017-18 and 2018-19 when the Warriors may have imploded and jettisoned Draymond, Klay, or KD and Lebron finally falls off and starts his years as a great stretch 4. It's decisions like this that separate the fans from the business end of the GM.

Rumor is that LA in San Antonio is on the trading block. I did think he did a piss-poor job of reacting to the Thunder's adjustments last year in the playoffs.

If you are RC Buford - and I guess this is a discussion for fellow Spurs donks - do you try and pry the Celtics Brooklyn Nets pick next year from them (and how? not so easy. I think you'd have to take on Amir Johnson + part), or do you try and hookwink a poorly run team.

My first call would be to the Kings in hopes that their dumbass owner would take Cousins + Barnes or Cousins + Caspi for Aldridge straight up.

You also might be able to Tyson Chandler, the rookie Bender and Archie Goodwin from Phoenix.

Tyson Chandler? Think you could get Sheed, too?

I doubt you could get Boogie for LA straight up much less Boogie and someone else.

You honestly never know with the Kings. They are going to lose Gay. I, of course, am not a big gay guy, but Cousins is going to walk as soon as he can. I think he hates losing. If Aldridge's thing is he wants to THE GUY, then maybe Sacramento is a good fit and the Spurs franchise might be the one franchise that could harness him.

I personally find Aldridge and Pau a strange fit. They do essentially the same thing offensively and defensively.

If it is a Cousins - LA trade, I totally agree that it is a fair straight up trade. However, salaries require there to be another King in the deal and the Spurs would then have to throw in most likely next year's 1st round pick.

Tyson Chandler is only 34 btw. His back may be 42, but the rest of him is 34. He started playing in the NBA when he was 12 I think. That offer would depend on how good Bender is. Honestly, I don't know, haven't seen him.

The guys I really find intriguing are the two Euros in Denver, three Euros actually. Haven't seen a lot of them and the center (Nurik ?) was injured most of last year, but they both put up great numbers for young guys and in limited minutes with Faried still there.

Last edited:
I got a laugh seeing jaybone post about Tyson Chandler and Bender. Got me thinking about the long-forgotten Jonathon Bender who came to the NBA out of high school two years before Chandler did.

You honestly never know with the Kings. They are going to lose Gay. I, of course, am not a big gay guy, but Cousins is going to walk as soon as he can. I think he hates losing. If Aldridge's thing is he wants to THE GUY, then maybe Sacramento is a good fit and the Spurs franchise might be the one franchise that could harness him.

I personally find Aldridge and Pau a strange fit. They do essentially the same thing offensively and defensively.

If it is a Cousins - LA trade, I totally agree that it is a fair straight up trade. However, salaries require there to be another King in the deal and the Spurs would then have to throw in most likely next year's 1st round pick.

Tyson Chandler is only 34 btw. His back may be 42, but the rest of him is 34. He started playing in the NBA when he was 12 I think. That offer would depend on how good Bender is. Honestly, I don't know, haven't seen him.

The guys I really find intriguing are the two Euros in Denver, three Euros actually. Haven't seen a lot of them and the center (Nurik ?) was injured most of last year, but they both put up great numbers for young guys and in limited minutes with Faried still there.

Remember, when he moved from San Bernardino (or someplace out there) to Dominguez Hills, he was on 60 Minutes talking about going pro and the impact of sneaker companies.

The Spurs would have to get Boogie to sign an extension. The Spurs would have to give up more than just Aldridge.

I think Rozier could actually seize a bunch of PG minutes in Boston while Smart's out. Smart looked good this preseason, but Rozier arguably looked better. Assuming they're about equal on defense, I think Rozier brings better passing to the table, and he's shot well (small sample size alert, but shut up) this preseason. Plus there's the summer league 'splosion he had.

I am optimistic

I think Rozier could actually seize a bunch of PG minutes in Boston while Smart's out. Smart looked good this preseason, but Rozier arguably looked better. Assuming they're about equal on defense, I think Rozier brings better passing to the table, and he's shot well (small sample size alert, but shut up) this preseason. Plus there's the summer league 'splosion he had.

I am optimistic

Is Demetrius Jackson going to make the roster? I would love for the Hornets to pick him up if he gets cut.

Back