• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA Off-season thread: Duncan and Garnett retire

From the '16-'17 NBA GM survey, this might be the ultimate compliment to Timmy D:

Which player is the best leader?
1. LeBron James, Cleveland – 57.1%
2. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers – 14.3%
3. Stephen Curry, Golden State – 10.7%
Draymond Green, Golden State – 10.7%
Also receiving votes: Tim Duncan; Dwyane Wade, Chicago
Last year: LeBron James – 44.6%

http://www.nba.com/gmsurvey/2016

Could just be Buford.

If Giannis wants to be a starting PG, there will be fewer options than if he just wanted to start at any position.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2016/9/30/13111380/giannis-antetokounmpo-point-guard-bucks-training-camp

“I know that it’s something that’s never been done before. Even like, people still don’t realize that I’m actually going to be the starting point guard of this team and I’m almost seven feet. People don’t realize that,” Antetokounmpo said.

O chemistry issues?

You guys should let him walk and then draft three PFs in the second round and act like it's fine. What could go wrong?

Tough to tell if this is a dig at the Panthers or Sixers.

Wonder how long it will be before the Sixers trade some "assets" to get Ish Smith back. They still don't have a decent NBA point guard on the roster, just some guys. Gerald Henderson, Jerryd Bayless, Sergio Rodriguez, Cat Barber do not sound like all NBA candidates.

Wonder how long it will be before the Sixers trade some "assets" to get Ish Smith back. They still don't have a decent NBA point guard on the roster, just some guys. Gerald Henderson, Jerryd Bayless, Sergio Rodriguez, Cat Barber do not sound like all NBA candidates.

I think when they do cash in assets, it'll be for a wing or SG before they look for a PG--still think they'll try to draft the PG of the future.

Draft Express has Markelle Fultz as the #1 pick and Dennis Smith as #2. That's kind of surprising. Only Lonzo Ball and a Belgian are listed at lottery PGs.

Draft Express has Markelle Fultz as the #1 pick and Dennis Smith as #2. That's kind of surprising. Only Lonzo Ball and a Belgian are listed at lottery PGs.

If you have been keeping up with the summers either have (Fultz at the Curry camp and Smith at the Adidas college camp) it's not really surprising at all that those two are that highly ranked. Gott is saying Smith is probably going to be the best player in the country and he's usually not one for hyperbole. Evan Daniels said last night that Smith is already well beyond where Cat Barber was last year. If he stays healthy he's going to have a monster season.

I just found it amusing that the Sixers once again let Ish walk when he could have been signed for small money and none of the guys they did sign is much, if any improvement. And sorta tongue in cheek wondering if they would do a repeat of last year if none of the guys the have are passable as NBA point guards.

I just found it amusing that the Sixers once again let Ish walk when he could have been signed for small money and none of the guys they did sign is much, if any improvement. And sorta tongue in cheek wondering if they would do a repeat of last year if none of the guys the have are passable as NBA point guards.

It's a good question. I'd be shocked if any of those 4 guys are worth a damn this season. Ish is clearly ahead of them

Ish was an unrestricted free agent and took the biggest offer he got. Unconfirmed, but the Sixers apparently tried to extend him by another season. Detroit offered him two years.

The Pistons won't deal Ish anytime soon as Reggie Jackson is out to start the season. Pistons need Ish to play big minutes.

If you have been keeping up with the summers either have (Fultz at the Curry camp and Smith at the Adidas college camp) it's not really surprising at all that those two are that highly ranked. Gott is saying Smith is probably going to be the best player in the country and he's usually not one for hyperbole. Evan Daniels said last night that Smith is already well beyond where Cat Barber was last year. If he stays healthy he's going to have a monster season.

I should hope Smith is better than a guy who went undrafted. I thought Smith would be in the Top 5-10 due to his injury.

Fulkes has exploded but with Tatum Jackson, Giles, Ball and others, I didn't see him going #1.

Ish was an unrestricted free agent and took the biggest offer he got. Unconfirmed, but the Sixers apparently tried to extend him by another season. Detroit offered him two years.

Ish signed a 3yr/$18M contract with the Pistons not two years.

3 yrs/$18 million isn't a big NBA contract. And as noted above, Ish is better than the "veteran leadership" the Sixers brought in at point. It is beginning to look like the Sixers owner got snookered by Jerry Colangelo into firing Hinkie and now has not Jerry, but Brian Colangelo running the front office.

"Snookered" into firing Hinkie? How do you get "snookered" into firing the least successful GM (who lasted multiple seasons) in NBA history?

"Snookered" into firing Hinkie? How do you get "snookered" into firing the least successful GM (who lasted multiple seasons) in NBA history?

Hinkie was brought in with a specific plan, to have a bad team for a few years, acquire high draft choices and totally rebuild the team. At some point the ownership decided to change direction on that, and brought in Colanelo Sr to run things. Jerry Colangelo then pushed Hinkie to the side to give his basically unemployed son a job. Don't think Sixers ownership expected to see Brian Colangelo running things.

Back