• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

I think this is pretty stupid, firstly because Woodcroft seems to be a good coach. But mainly, how many coaches has Edmonton cycled through in the last decade? I saw that Ryan N-H has played for NINE head coaches! At this point, you've got to look closely at Ken Holland. And lastly, somehow, their Goaltending coach has been retained since 2015.

Anyway, McDavid is now insulated by familiar coaches and managers. We can't know whether he directly appealed for them, or that Holland is trying some sort of appeasement campaign as we inch closer to the end of his contract. At any rate, I'm still wagering that Edmonton makes the playoffs despite the horrible start.

Yea I really liked Woodcroft when he started because didn't he take them on a pretty decent run when he started? And he always seemed to be a good game coach.

And I agree that EDM makes the playoffs....that duo is too good NOT to go on a heater or two...probably soon.

It looks like you made one waiver claim on October 10th for K'Andre Miller. That would've sent you to the back of the waiver priority line, but you've since moved up to 6.

Hahaha.....day 1.

Completely missed that one because it was just an add.

You are my fantasy hockey Yoda, HTTD!

I've been getting into jersey collecting recently....though I only just recently was taught which jerseys are the "Authentic" or more realistic ones and which are trash.

Sadly half of mine are trash, half of mine are like Tier 2 (though one of the trash ones is a Sebastian Aho autographed Black/Home jersey).

I think I might hafta pick this one up if they put it out for sale.

Or is it the same retro one we always wear?

Another jersey I'm waiting to get is an Andrei Kuzmenko Canucks Black/Alternate Skate jersey.

For one, the jersey is fire....two, he won me a $1K this year in Daily Fantasy...so I gotta show him some love!....three, Vancouver has become low-key one of my 2nd or 3rd favorite teams. They are looking STOUT this season.

Canes fans help me out. The Hurricanes basically stole the NHL franchise from Hartford. Why do they still cling to that part of their "history"? You would never see the Baltimore Colts wear Ravens uniforms or the Ravens wear Cleveland Browns uniforms. Dallas doesn't wear Minestota North Star uniforms. I know it's an imperfect analogy, but the point still stands. It would be an insult to the cities whose teams were stolen. Why is it different in Raleigh?

Could have sworn I’ve seen north stars throwbacks but maybe those have not been in games.

Hartford was not exactly a healthy franchise at the time as I recall but maybe I’m mistaken. Also, unless there’s some sort of Hartford objection to them I am not aware of any backlash to the throwbacks, as it’s an iconic logo that should not be thrown away.

Not important but I’ve seen a shocking amount of canes gear when I’m in portland maine

HTTD, I have a feeling we're in for a barn burner this week!

I've tried to upgrade my initial heavy projected loss to a more even projection.

I'm considering the trade and will give an answer soon.

It looks like you made one waiver claim on October 10th for K'Andre Miller. That would've sent you to the back of the waiver priority line, but you've since moved up to 6.

HTTD, I countered your offer with a completely one-sided offer, only to send a message with the counter...so hopefully that message comes through with the counter. If not, I PM'd you the copy/pasted message lol.

you guys should talk more about my blackhawks
I'm a Bedard fan

Ditto:

The way Bedard pointed his stick at the kid to make sure he was the one that got the puck, and how when the kid didn't catch the puck, he thought Bedard was just pointing at him, which that in and of itself made him sooo happy....then to see him get the puck...this is a little silly, but it really was a kind of emotional moment....just because I know how much my young nephew loves to get the things/toys he really wants and to see how happy he gets.....It really is "What it's all about".

So glad whoever caught it wasn't an asshole!

What's everyone watching tonight and when?

I think I'll start with Pens/Blue Jackets...or Bruins/Sabres....or jeez Washington/Vegas.....then more than likely move to Ducks/Preds for fantasy purposes....or wait....Devils/Jets....or what will most definitely be a fun game in Dallas and then of course Florida/San Jose....I wanna see how many goals my guy Tkachuk can toss in the net against that sorry team.

Meanwhile....what in the fuck is this?!?

How is there a possibility of manslaughter??

Man arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in Adam Johnson's death

Looks like the guy arrested was the actual player whose skate cut Johnson's neck.

Apparently England's manslaughter laws are very stringent, and this was a move necessary to even bring him in for questioning. So he hasn't been charged or anything....yet.

I don't see how you punish or charge someone for a freak accident that resulted from a fall.

But those Brits are a little bass-ackwards sometimes.

Congrats on the big win HTTD! Didn't get to watch, but a 35 save 3-0 shutout against the defending champions that had won 12 of their first 15 is pretty impressive!

Don't think I won't post 9 of the last 12 posts in this thread.

But every time I see Kyle Connor I just have this incessant brain teaser of a memory of this character actor from a tv show that I had seen before. It was from a single episode and was just a bit part, but I knew the exact context of the scene. The guy played a carnival game worker who one of the main female characters had dated, and every time he comes to town she just can't help herself and just HAS to go see him, go out with him, take him to bed, etc....and the guy on the show cannot stand this and just wants to know what this guy does that makes him so irresistable to the girl. I tried typing ten different combinations of descriptions into the Googler, but everything brought up random shit that had a word in common with my search. I couldn't remember if it was How I Met Your Mother, or New Girl, or Parks & Rec, or Happy Endings or what....but I knew the scene in my head, and could only picture the Carnie worker. After all, it's him that Kyle Connor reminds me of.

And FINALLY it hit me.....Community.

The episode was the one that Britta wanted Annie/Troy/Abed to forcefully keep her from texting or calling her incredibly and perplexingly charming ex boyfriend Blade (yeah, that's the guys name for the insane non-Community watchers/fans). And hijinks ensued.

And Jeff went with Shirley to the carnival to meet Blade and talk to him and see if he could figure out the allure of the mysterious Blade. After rounds and rounds of shooting little yellow duckies with a BB gun whilst asking Blade pointed and somewhat insulting questions trying to size him up (Does he know carpentry?...Does he have extensive knowledge about aquariums? Both freshwater and saltwater? Does he have a big weiner?...Is he dumb? Or just really smart? Is he a loser, or a winner? Or is he a human mirror, and we all see what we want to see in him? HE CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT. Frustrated, he finally just gives up and flat out asks him what it is that makes him so cool? He replies with Jeff's earlier line: "A magician never reveals, right?". But after spending over $300 bucks at Blade's shooting game booth, Blade took pity on him and told him why he had such a hold on Britta. I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't watched and potentially want to watch, so I'll use spoiler tag/button:

When Blade stops Jeff and tells him the story, Jeff is taken aback. Brain damage. Turns out that years prior, a loose bolt had fallen off the Ferris Wheel and embedded itself in Blade's skull. It was planted in and destroyed the part of the brain that is responsible for shame. Blade no longer had shame and didn't care what anyone thought of him. He was laid back and his demeanor and attitude would always make him attractive to people like Britta who had serious issues with self-hatred. Blade was someone that would always end up treating Britta poorly, and thus feeding into her cycle of self-hatred while wanting to be with him.

Partial Video:

Later explanation videos:

Anyway...here's the dude's picture compared to Kyle Connor....seeing them side-by-side they don't look that similar, especially with the reddish blond vs brownish black facial hair....but it's just what always pops in my head with the mustache and everything. Oh well....another day, another incredibly lengthy and needlessly pointless post that no one cares about from OblongPickle.

KYLE CONNOR:

BLADE:

Last edited:
That episode is also responsible for one of my favorite lines/verbal exchanges from Community:

Nothing much I could do about it.”— Blade, talking about his name

You could change it!”— Jeff and Shirley in unison

To what? Templeton Ferrari the Third? Won't change how mustard tastes.”— Blade

Canes fans help me out. The Hurricanes basically stole the NHL franchise from Hartford. Why do they still cling to that part of their "history"? You would never see the Baltimore Colts wear Ravens uniforms or the Ravens wear Cleveland Browns uniforms. Dallas doesn't wear Minestota North Star uniforms. I know it's an imperfect analogy, but the point still stands. It would be an insult to the cities whose teams were stolen. Why is it different in Raleigh?
I have seen comments along these lines on Twitter from old Whalers fans. On one hand, I get it since the franchise moved. Although, “basically stole the NHL franchise”? The owner moved it due to poor attendance and revenue challenges in Hartford. But it surely sucks to lose a professional franchise, no doubt, and I loathe the corporate welfare game billionaire owners play with cities. On the other hand, wearing the old unis every now and then recognizes the franchise history back to Hartford. I can see both sides.

Back