• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NOW Howland watch: UPDATE 3/20@ 10:30 new tweets

I'll just post what I have posted before. Please list the guys who have been fired from an A-list program who have ended up having success at a different school later.

Bobby Knight?

I'll just post what I have posted before. Please list the guys who have been fired from an A-list program who have ended up having success at a different school later.

Yeah, you're right. We'd definitely be much better off with some asshole like Russell Turner.

I didn't realize those were our only 2 choices.

don't really see the relevance.

It's not like Howland ran UCLA into the ground. He had one bad season (shortly after three FF teams) And in his final season was 25-9 and won the PAC-12 reg. season. And he obviously left a pretty good situation. Just think the circumstances of his dismissal were unique, with Walton, etc.

I've got three just from the University of Michigan:
Bill Frieder
Steve Fisher
Tommy Ammaker

fired or forced resignation....

Bob Huggins
Cliff Ellis
Lefty Driesell
Mike Davis

He failed at TXTech.

"Knight quickly improved the program, which had not been to an NCAA tournament since 1996. He led the Red Raiders to postseason appearances in each of his first four years at the school (three NCAA Championship tournaments and one NIT). After a rough 2006 season, the team improved in 2007, finishing 21–13 and again making it to the NCAA Championship tournament, where it lost to Boston College in the first round. The best performance by the Red Raiders under Knight came in 2005 when they advanced as far as the Sweet Sixteen. In both 2006 and 2007 under Knight, Texas Tech defeated two Top 10-ranked teams in consecutive weeks. During Knight's first six years at Texas Tech, the Red Raiders won 126 games, an average of 21 wins per season."

Paging SmallSampleSizeDeac. A-list programs, by their very nature, tend to have guys who fail and get fired quickly (see Doherty) or coaches who last decades and then retire (Dean Smith, Wooden, K, Lute Olsen).

How many coaches had great success at an A-list program, then got fired, then took another major job? My guess is very few.

Carolina - nobody that I can remember
Kentucky - Tubby?
UCLA - nobody that I can remember
Duke - nobody that I can remember
Kansas - nobody that I can remember

He failed at TXTech.

He didn't come close to matching his record at IU, but for Tx Tech to make the big dance ~60% of the time ain't bad. Wish Bzz had failed like this in his first four years at Wake:

Texas Tech Red Raiders (Big 12 Conference) (2001–2008)
2001–02 Texas Tech 23–9 10–6 T–3rd NCAA First Round
2002–03 Texas Tech 22–13 6–10 T–7th NIT Semifinal
2003–04 Texas Tech 23–11 9–7 T–5th NCAA Second Round
2004–05 Texas Tech 22–11 10–6 4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen

In basically seven years, he finished 3rd once, 4th once and 5th once in the B12. He finished at .520 in the B12. Not good for a HOF coach.

He did make one Sweet 16, but his teams missed The Dance three times. Only twice in seven years did he win an NCAAT game.

Sorry, that is failure for a HOF coach.

I remember Apetit did the research in the main thread. The list of coaches that have ever reached the final four after being fired from a previous job for performance reasons is thin/non-existent. I think there was 1 or 2 guys that got fired for cheating and did well at a later stop.

Howland could be the first of course. His Pitt and Northern Arizona tenures are really good. I would give his UCLA tenure a C+ at best...about as low as you can be rated while making 3 final fours. 15 NCAA wins in 10 seasons. Lavin had 13 in 7 before him. Harrick 13 in 8 before that.

Paging SmallSampleSizeDeac. A-list programs, by their very nature, tend to have guys who fail and get fired quickly (see Doherty) or coaches who last decades and then retire (Dean Smith, Wooden, K, Lute Olsen).

How many coaches had great success at an A-list program, then got fired, then took another major job? My guess is very few.

Carolina - nobody that I can remember
Kentucky - Tubby?
UCLA - nobody that I can remember
Duke - nobody that I can remember
Kansas - nobody that I can remember

Eddie Sutton?

Again, we're almost definitely not making the Final Four with almost any coach we could conceivably hire. At this point we're just trying to claw our way back to where we were when Dino got fired.

There's more at stake here than hiring someone with pure coaching ability. WF Basketball doesn't exist in a vacuum.

In Westwood for sure. Strange part of it is (apart from legacy) no one really cares about basketball anymore in SoCal. Incredibly fickle group. Even the Lakers (unless they are in finals).
Not true. You can't expect there to be any enthusiasm for a team that is one of the worst in their league.

Back