• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NOW Howland watch: UPDATE 3/20@ 10:30 new tweets

Amaker > Howland

That's the first time anyone has ever said that. Howland revived UCLA and went to three straight Final Fours. Amaker revived Michigan and went to the NIT three out of four years before he got fired.

We have to go bigger and younger than Howland. He's in our fallback group.

I don't argue that point, but ATM, I'm worried Ronnie boy is standing firm on the hand he dealt himself.

I get the younger argument, but "bigger"? Howland has been to three Final Fours. Who out there is "bigger" than that?

Sure. I'd love to see who has better than the guy who has been to four Final Fours. FFS, UNC had to hire Matt Doherty when their first choice said no. The problem with "fallback" candidates is smarter, more nimble, less asleep at the wheel ad's make them their head basketball coach.

I get the younger argument, but "bigger"? Howland has been to three Final Fours. Who out there is "bigger" than that?

Shaka or Marshall you numbskull. Hello dv7. Anybody home?

hello-mcfly-o.gif

rj's dream that we are going to offer Shaka Smart $3.5 million to come coach here.

I thought it was four, but either way HE has been to more than Wake has. Pull the trigger, Ron.

I assumed he meant bigger name. The average bball fan likely hasn't heard of Howland, but has heard of Shaka, Stevens, etc. I could be wrong but admit I had to look him up myself. Winning will cure a lot but name recognition would get fans back in the short term.

Is Howland our Steve Lembo?

Well, I guess I see Gregg Marshall as our Pete Lembo in a guy who the fans would love to have, but who would probably rub RW the wrong way with his brash attitude and myriad requests and demands for Wake were he to take over our program (e.g., academics, financial resources, facilities).

Can't really say whether Howland would be our Steve Lembo as I don't know who that is.

"Certainly, Howland would be a big-time hire, and he would bring a suffocating defensive style that could help USF win sooner rather than later. But would Howland be interested in USF? There are rumors that he would rather go to Wake Forest, assuming Wake fires coach Jeff [Redacted].

That makes sense. Wake is in the ACC. It's a better job
. And that's the problem USF is going to face going forward."

Fucking right. Let's do this Ron. Pull the trigger and we will be back in droves

Tom Jones is a mouthbreathing piece of shit but I can't tell if he's also inferring with his lede that Howland is too bad of culture for USF which is hilarious

Strikes me as more of an Andy Reid situation. Things started going down and he panicked, changed his M.O., lost control of the team/discipline issues, and was subsequently fired. Dude's résumé is about 100x better than Buzz. I'd take him to do the rebuilding that we paid Buzz to not do.

This. I can't remember where I read it (probably a combination of things from here and quotes from the UCLA boards) but it seems like Howland bowed to pressure from program influences like Adidas, signed more superstar prospects who didn't necessarily fit his system, and eventually lost the team. Hopefully wouldn't be a problem here. I can't back this up, just remember reading it.

Howland reported interested in the Wake job?

I assumed he meant bigger name. The average bball fan likely hasn't heard of Howland, but has heard of Shaka, Stevens, etc. I could be wrong but admit I had to look him up myself. Winning will cure a lot but name recognition would get fans back in the short term.
I'm on my iPhone but normally this is where I'd post the "Can't tell if serious" meme. Anyone who follows college basketball to the extent that they'd know the names of various current and former mid-major coaches sure as hell would know who Ben Howland is.

You hadn't heard of Ben Howland? Seriously?

Well, I guess I see Gregg Marshall as our Pete Lembo in a guy who the fans would love to have, but who would probably rub RW the wrong way with his brash attitude and myriad requests and demands for Wake were he to take over our program (e.g., academics, financial resources, facilities).

Can't really say whether Howland would be our Steve Lembo as I don't know who that is.

My feeling is Howland would rub RW the wrong way.

I know the Howland fans here will say its time to get over the SI expose. But really, go back and read it again and ask yourself if you think that is the person RW would jump at the chance to hire at Wake Forest. I just don't see it. If Howland becomes coach at WF, it will be because big donors strong arm RW in to hiring him.

The average bball fan likely hasn't heard of Howland, but has heard of Shaka, Stevens, etc.
I'm not arguing this point, but I find it really surprising if true. Howland took UCLA to three straight Final Fours between 2006-08 and has 14 players in the NBA including Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook. I figured he was a pretty "name" choice, and I'd love to have him here, even with his age (56) being higher than I thought we'd go after.

This Stormfury butthead's credibility is going through the roof!

This MIGHT mean something if someone would actually say what "stuff" Guadio did.

Oh please, not again must we ?

I'm looking ahead. Let's ascertain what caused Howland to get axed at UCLA, o.k. ?

Back