• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NOW Howland watch: UPDATE 3/20@ 10:30 new tweets

I assumed he meant bigger name. The average bball fan likely hasn't heard of Howland, but has heard of Shaka, Stevens, etc. I could be wrong but admit I had to look him up myself. Winning will cure a lot but name recognition would get fans back in the short term.

HOF bad post right here

I'm on my iPhone but normally this is where I'd post the "Can't tell if serious" meme. Anyone who follows college basketball to the extent that they'd know the names of various current and former mid-major coaches sure as hell would know who Ben Howland is.

I had to look him up, too. I mostly only pay attention to mid-major coaches when Wake is hiring, and honestly haven't followed college basketball as a whole for the last five years. Also, being on the west coast, Howland just didn't stand out in my memory.

My feeling is Howland would rub RW the wrong way.

I know the Howland fans here will say its time to get over the SI expose. But really, go back and read it again and ask yourself if you think that is the person RW would jump at the chance to hire at Wake Forest. I just don't see it. If Howland becomes coach at WF, it will be because big donors strong arm RW in to hiring him.

Someone needs to step up and force him to do his damn job. Of course, I'm afraid that it's the big donors that have been prolonging this bzaster.

I think at the end of the day Howland will be our coach.
I agree. The more I've read about him and what happened, the more I think he got caught up in uber high expectations of UCLA. He was basically like Bennett at UVa in style on his way to 3 FFs and then changed. He focuses on defense which IMO is the way to be consistently good in the NCAAs. Wake would be a great spot for him, the resume is a great pitch for Wellman, and his winning tradition great for Wake sports in general. Just seems to fit all around.

Leave it to the fan base to shit all over potentially hiring a guy who has been to 3 final fours. Unless the Shaka or Marshall miracle somehow can happen, he is our best option by far IMO. For those that are anti-Howland, brace yourself for what it will feel like when you hear RW has gone within the family w/ Turner. If his season ends tonight at SMU and suddenly there are rumors about Bzz being fired & a new coach already approached, then I think we all should be worried.

I have heard if the numbers match up between the two parties that Howland is the favorite.

I just have no idea what the numbers on each side are though, so no idea how realistic the chances of Howland being our next coach are. I'd be very happy with him, especially considering the other names that have been whispered.

I assumed he meant bigger name. The average bball fan likely hasn't heard of Howland, but has heard of Shaka, Stevens, etc. I could be wrong but admit I had to look him up myself. Winning will cure a lot but name recognition would get fans back in the short term.

If you haven't heard of Howland before you're not an average a college b-ball fan.....cripes, the article dissing him/UCLA program was in SI not that long ago....

Plus he was Pitt basketball before anyone heard of Jamie Dixon......

Washington State is interested in Howland too. Cougs fired their coach yesterday.

Paul Schneider ‏@PaulJKBOI
Montana's Wayne Tinkle, Ben Howland, Ernie Kent and BSU's Leon Rice on short list for WSU head coach according to Spokesman Review.

I have heard if the numbers match up between the two parties that Howland is the favorite.

I just have no idea what the numbers on each side are though, so no idea how realistic the chances of Howland being our next coach are. I'd be very happy with him, especially considering the other names that have been whispered.
If that's true, then he's the hire because Wake is the best job going forward right now. For him to jump that high up the ladder after getting dumped from UCLA would be an awesome situation for him so I would not expect him to be as demanding as far as $$ goes....maybe make it performance related.

It's particularly weird that Wake fans wouldn't know BH given that he was the one who stepped up at the last minute and took Westbrook away from us.

And for the record, I am Shaka or Bust.

But Howland is as good of a "bust" as there is.

If you haven't heard of Howland before you're not an average a college b-ball fan.....cripes, the article dissing him/UCLA program was in SI not that long ago....

Plus he was Pitt basketball before anyone heard of Jamie Dixon......

yup

If that's true, then he's the hire because Wake is the best job going forward right now. For him to jump that high up the ladder after getting dumped from UCLA would be an awesome situation for him so I would not expect him to be as demanding as far as $$ goes....maybe make it performance related.

I'd be very happy with this hire. Talk about jumping up the ladder. Look at the jump Wake would be making out of the dumpster fire we've been for 4 years.

Back