• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NOW Howland watch: UPDATE 3/20@ 10:30 new tweets

WSU could be real competition if we want Howland. Wake is a better job, but it doesn't seem like Howland is a small private school kind of guy. Plus Howland might love the chance to stick it to UCLA in the PAC 12.

I wouldn't be surprised if he used us (or any other school) as a stepping stone. If he brought us back to prominence I could see him jumping for the first offer from a big state school. Which I'd be okay with as long as he gets us back to true historical competitiveness.

This is why Wellman shouldn't dick around with Buzz. Even if he has feelers out, making Buzz's dismissal public makes the wake job a conversation piece on Espn every night

And for the record, I am Shaka or Bust.

But Howland is as good of a "bust" as there is.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Obviously would much rather have Shaka or Marshall, but I'd take Howland over any of the guys I think Wellman will otherwise target.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Obviously would much rather have Shaka or Marshall, but I'd take Howland over any of the guys I think Wellman will otherwise target.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather have Howland than Marshall. Only 5 years older and has a more impressive resume, IMO.

Not that I would turn my nose up at Marshall, mind.

I have heard if the numbers match up between the two parties that Howland is the favorite.

I just have no idea what the numbers on each side are though, so no idea how realistic the chances of Howland being our next coach are. I'd be very happy with him, especially considering the other names that have been whispered.

This. Yes. I was told Wellman was leading the charge for Howland, FWIW

This is why Wellman shouldn't dick around with Buzz. Even if he has feelers out, making Buzz's dismissal public makes the wake job a conversation piece on Espn every night

Wellman, once again showing that appearances are much more important than substance. Press release should have been issued last week if this has been in the works. The shallowness of the precept of doing things the "right way" continues to provide a nasty stench around the program.

Leave it to the fan base to shit all over potentially hiring a guy who has been to 3 final fours. Unless the Shaka or Marshall miracle somehow can happen, he is our best option by far IMO. For those that are anti-Howland, brace yourself for what it will feel like when you hear RW has gone within the family w/ Turner. If his season ends tonight at SMU and suddenly there are rumors about Bzz being fired & a new coach already approached, then I think we all should be worried.

I would definitely take Ben Howland. He could potentially make us a big time program. I just have a hard time seeing it. The irony would be delicious if RW were to fire Dino with veiled "he lost control of the program" insinuations, crap out with Bz, and then hire a guy with a reputation for losing control of programs and completely checking out with regards to his players off-court activities.

The thought of Wellman trying to spin Howland as a "molder of young men" would be high comedy. Maybe, at least, once and for all everyone would realize this has all been bullshit.

Chris -

Thanks for the link(s)....Ugg !

Lousy reading....not quite as bad as Pearl but not good. Like Dino, I guess there's reasons why Howland hasn't landed another gig somewhere.

Can't see Wellman/Hatch/BOT or the alum out there with $7 million burning a hole in his pocket going all-in on Howland.

If someone can clear up his baggage for getting axed at UCLA I'd be grateful.

If it's deemed minor or circumstance fine. If it's somewhere between Gaudio and Pearl type stuff than he's not viable IMO.

This MIGHT mean something if someone would actually say what "stuff" Guadio did.

Oh please, not again must we ?

I'm looking ahead. Let's ascertain what caused Howland to get axed at UCLA, o.k. ?

OK... Looking ahead, I will assume that the unsubstantiated rumors about Howland will keep us from hiring Howland just like the unsubstantiated rumors about Dino caused him to get fired.

WSU could be real competition if we want Howland. Wake is a better job, but it doesn't seem like Howland is a small private school kind of guy. Plus Howland might love the chance to stick it to UCLA in the PAC 12.

I wouldn't be surprised if he used us (or any other school) as a stepping stone. If he brought us back to prominence I could see him jumping for the first offer from a big state school. Which I'd be okay with as long as he gets us back to true historical competitiveness.

He'll be 57 this fall. He could possibly get Wake into the NCAA tournament at age 58 with CMM and Thomas as senior. Then he's in a rebuilding year at age 59 unless he's able to clear out some scholarships currently occupied by total Buttheads and bring in some real talent prior to that and show that he can still bring in the real talent and coach at a high level. So basically, I don't see him using Wake as a stepping stone unless some big power is looking for a 60 or 61-year old coach to rebuild their ailing program.

Yeah, because there's nothing else going on right now.

Butthead!

I am rubbing my eyes in disbelief that people are questioning whether Ben fucking Howland would be a big enough hire at Wake. The questions really are:

1 - would he want it? Tampa paper saying maybe

2 - would ron actually go after him? Who knows?

3 - is he a cultural fit? They loved him at Pitt who IIRC is in our conference.

Yeah he is 56 but he can coach for 10 years and I would rather have a guy that is our best bet for 5 to 7 years because we are in absolute crisis mode as a program and need to start fixing shit now.

Wellman, once again showing that appearances are much more important than substance. Press release should have been issued last week if this has been in the works. The shallowness of the precept of doing things the "right way" continues to provide a nasty stench around the program.
If the substance is that Wellman will be firing Bz and is pushing hard for Howland (and whomever else)....then why does it matter that it officially gets pushed off...other than appearances? This process doesn't start the day Bz gets fired/resigns...it's already started.

He would come in and immediately be the most successful coach Wake Forest has ever had. I'm guessing something is in the works here at least, in terms of an interview.

Some of y'alls timetables are a bit crazy. Bz is gone, and I know you want it to be official, but as long as the hire is good, who gives a fuck when the official firing/resignation announcement comes?

He would come in and immediately be the most successful coach Wake Forest has ever had. I'm guessing something is in the works here at least, in terms of an interview.

Some of y'alls timetables are a bit crazy. Bz is gone, and I know you want it to be official, but as long as the hire is good, who gives a fuck when the official firing/resignation announcement comes?

All of this is spot on.

Lousy reading....not quite as bad as Pearl but not good. Like Dino, I guess there's reasons why Howland hasn't landed another gig somewhere.

Pretty sure he hasn't landed another job because he's earning his buyout money from UCLA, which would be nullified if he took work elsewhere. This year that's gone and he's looking for the best position.

So why isn't Howland on a studio set somewhere? He's wasting away. He's not even thinking about basketball the way Dino is.

Maybe he's lazy.

Back