• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NOW Howland watch: UPDATE 3/20@ 10:30 new tweets

#hashpipe.......

put it down, try oxygen for a few minutes

I'd rather have kept [Redacted] than hire Capel. At least we'd have a chance to hire a decent coach next year.

If we have Capel for 4-5 years, we might as well leave the ACC.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1m
Early names I'm hearing for Wake Forest: Ben Howland and Jeff Capel. Will be interesting to see what Ron Wellman does with this hire.

Howland and Capel. One is a smoke screen. If we work with the logic used 4 years ago, the smoke screen would be Howland.

Somehow I think Mike Buddie will have a bit of a clue to keep Wellman from ruining this again.

All for #TheHowling. Obviously the reaches in #Shak'NBake and #WeAreMarshall are atop the wish list. Just no unproven mid majors with supposed upside. I want a #splashy hire that grabs the headlines. Now is the time to bring back the fucking #swaggggggger. Show everyone we have the #moxy!!!!

#Encore #Encore I can't and will not be silenced!!!

I still have a bad feeling Brad Stevens will end up there and they won't skip a beat post-K.

I feel almost certain about it. Stevens and Smart may end up leading the blue teams for a generation. I get a little sick about it.

I find it comical that on some of these threads people are hoping shaka or other candidates don't get too hot in the tourney so we can hire them but a knock on Howland was that his ucla team lost early last year (which is the only real reason we have a chance to hire him anyway).

I'd rather have kept [Redacted] than hire Capel. At least we'd have a chance to hire a decent coach next year.

If we have Capel for 4-5 years, we might as well leave the ACC.

I'm with RJ. If we're going after a former VCU coach make it Shaka, no matter the price.

Strikes me as more of an Andy Reid situation. Things started going down and he panicked, changed his M.O., lost control of the team/discipline issues, and was subsequently fired. Dude's résumé is about 100x better than Buzz. I'd take him to do the rebuilding that we paid Buzz to not do.

Add to that some of the diva personalities with whom he was dealing (of course, he did recruit those guys. The atmosphere in LA can get poisonous fast (we have no monopoly on that). The man had no such troubles at Pitt (where he was a winner) or in his early years at UCLA (where he was a winner) and there was none of the talk that surrounded him the last 2 years in Westwood. He can coach (great defense) and recruit and win.

My feeling is Howland would rub RW the wrong way.

I know the Howland fans here will say its time to get over the SI expose. But really, go back and read it again and ask yourself if you think that is the person RW would jump at the chance to hire at Wake Forest. I just don't see it. If Howland becomes coach at WF, it will be because big donors strong arm RW in to hiring him.

If Howland would rub RW the wrong way, Marshall would do it with sandpaper. Besides, Marshall isn't/won't come to Wake and neither will Shaka Smart. Smart has already turned down pretty big programs presumably with pretty good offers to stay within his comfort zone. He's the Mark Few of the east coast. I'm pretty sure Marshall would win at Wake, not so sure about Smart, but, as I said, neither will be on our radar.

The number will be $3M+ for either Marshall or Shaka.

I agree that it would probably take that to get Marshall. I don't see Shaka leaving VCU after last year. Apparently, to him, money isn't everything.

No one would disagree with that. The criteria set forth were coaches from A-list teams who were fired.

The original discussion (on the other thread) was coaches fired for basketball reasons but that didn't make it over to this thread.

I agree that it would probably take that to get Marshall. I don't see Shaka leaving VCU after last year. Apparently, to him, money isn't everything.

Shaka isn't Mark Few. He won't retire there. He'll make the jump eventually just like Brad Stevens did. Only question is exactly what kind of job he is waiting for NBA, UNC, or something else. Regardless, it hurts nothing to make him a serious offer.

Back