• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 MLB Season Thread (Nats Blow It Again)

Ventura needs to get 30 games. He is a repeat offender. Manny needs 5 or so.

Ventura tried to hit Machado in the second inning, but missed. Got him the second time. This is the second time Ventura has hit Machado. Did it last year in September.

Yordano Ventura and the all-heel Major League Baseball team of super villains

1B - Albert Pujols

Transgression: Being good? Making a lot of money? Extensive charity work?

Look, I don't have any problems with Pujols. I know there are NL Central fans who got tired of him pummeling their teams, and I know he isn't the most charismatic fellow, but is this the best we have at first? The other choice was Mark Teixeira and his Dockers, which didn't seem like a grave enough offense to win a spot on this very important team.

Here, you look at the first basemen. There might be players who annoy you, but there aren't any true heels.

No, we'll need a ringer. We'll need to shuffle some people around the diamond to make the best team.

1B - Alex Rodriguez

Transgressions: lol

Yesssss, now we're cooking with gas. Unlike Pierzynski, A-Rod isn't quite sure about his role as a heel. Most of the time.

That was after Ryan Dempster threw at him for being Alex Rodriguez, which is against baseball's unwritten rules, and the best part was the deliberate point to the sky at :20. You can hear the boos intensify.

He might be the captain, if only because he thinks we're building a team of popular, well-liked players, and it makes it funnier if he's actually leading a team of baseball super villains.

Whit Merrifield batting .319 for the Royals since call-up. Set Royals record for most games with a hit in a row as Royals rookie--11. Might we say AL ROY

"Merrifield has hit in his first 11 career starts, which is a Royals' record. He doubled in the first and scored on Lorenzo Cain's single. He has scored a run in nine consecutive games, which matches a Royals rookie record set by Mike Aviles in 2008. Merrifield singled in the fourth for his seventh multihit game."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansas-city-royals/article82160617.html

BALTIMORE —

Royals utility man Whit Merrifield started at second base for the fourth straight day on Monday, the lineup card here at Camden Yards revealing what manager Ned Yost will not say publicly.

In an unofficial capacity, Merrifield has supplanted Omar Infante as the Royals’ regular second baseman. On Monday, he was starting at the position for the seventh time in ninth games. In a pregame session with reporters, Yost revealed that Merrifield’s last day off — a curious rest day during a 5-4 loss to Cleveland on Thursday — was initiated by a minor groin injury.

“The day off actually helped him,” Yost said, “and he’s feeling fine.”

BALTIMORE —

Royals utility man Whit Merrifield started at second base for the fourth straight day on Monday, the lineup card here at Camden Yards revealing what manager Ned Yost will not say publicly.

In an unofficial capacity, Merrifield has supplanted Omar Infante as the Royals’ regular second baseman. On Monday, he was starting at the position for the seventh time in ninth games. In a pregame session with reporters, Yost revealed that Merrifield’s last day off — a curious rest day during a 5-4 loss to Cleveland on Thursday — was initiated by a minor groin injury.

“The day off actually helped him,” Yost said, “and he’s feeling fine.”

Just asked this in the Braves thread but know many of you don't venture over there.

Does anyone have any sort of data on the success rate of college vs HS players taken in the first few rounds. I guess I mean success by makes it to the majors.

"20 years old, that's what stands out... most guys are 21 at his age."

Starting out strong.

So it is basically Groome or bust for Boston's draft. How much does he say he's looking for?

I love the Phils first pick. Evidence of a new front office.

ETA: Also loved the Reds pick.

Last edited:
Mickey Moniak is a fantastic name. And look at the pitch face on Kevin Gowdy:

Kevin-Gowdy.gif

Fantastic draft so far. I hope they are good at baseball also.

Cubs first pick isn't until 104 - but gotta say, watching the MLB draft is not very entertaining

So it is basically Groome or bust for Boston's draft. How much does he say he's looking for?

They said he wanted top 3 money on the broadcast last night. I'd bet that he goes back to school and tries again next year.

Cubs first pick isn't until 104 - but gotta say, watching the MLB draft is not very entertaining

Having Manfred read each pick is terrible, at least let a team rep do it for the first round. (We could have had Mickey Morandini announce the pick of Mickey Moniak last night! Double Mickies!)

They said he wanted top 3 money on the broadcast last night. I'd bet that he goes back to school and tries again next year.

At the end of the day, think the Red Sox will sign Groome. He will take slightly less than he is demanding and the Red Sox have the resources (and the organizational depth) to take the penalty for going above their allotted amount. Incredibly risky for a pitcher to not sign as a 1st round pick as they are always one pitch away from a major arm injury. Can't see Groome turning down $millions to play JC baseball for a year, and hope his stock is higher next year. Way too risky.

At the end of the day, think the Red Sox will sign Groome. He will take slightly less than he is demanding and the Red Sox have the resources (and the organizational depth) to take the penalty for going above their allotted amount. Incredibly risky for a pitcher to not sign as a 1st round pick as they are always one pitch away from a major arm injury. Can't see Groome turning down $millions to play JC baseball for a year, and hope his stock is higher next year. Way too risky.

Agree, plus after round 5 you can just draft college seniors and pay them nothing to bank money

Having Manfred read each pick is terrible, at least let a team rep do it for the first round. (We could have had Mickey Morandini announce the pick of Mickey Moniak last night! Double Mickies!)

Right, Manfred looks surprised and/or disappointed in every pick - its terrible tv.

Go back to school and be the first draft pick of the Cobb County Braves.

Back