• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Yeah, I think the Celtics did ok. They were not looking at those guys past this year and got a star back. The pick is big, but they are close and have the picks to take the shot.

eh both IT and Jae were dispensable role players until the celts; they greatly benefited from brad stevens dark magic

Yep. Celts fans overrated their roster. Now the roster is as good as they thought it was before.

Cleveland won the trade if BRKLN gets the #1 or #1 pick.

Crowder can slow Klay a little.

IMO Cleveland did alright in that trade, considering the whole world knew that Kyrie wanted to be traded.

Only way that Boston even remotely regrets this trade is of the Brooklyn pick is #1 or #2 and they don't resign Kyrie. Otherwise it's a big win for them iMO. Stevens will take Kyries game up a notch on both sides of the ball.

no one knows what the draft will look like right now, things change during the college season, but there are potentially 3-5 top notch prospects in the draft. Bagley, Porter, Doncic, Ayton and Bamba all have potential #1 look in normal years.

and everyone talking about brad stevens magic, as if every player that ever has played with LBJ hasn't benefited greatly from playing next to him as well.

every star that got traded in the past 2 years went for a steep discount, Boogie, PG, Butler... and when ainge finally pulled the trigger it looks like full price.

no one knows what the draft will look like right now, things change during the college season, but there are potentially 3-5 top notch prospects in the draft. Bagley, Porter, Doncic, Ayton and Bamba all have potential #1 look in normal years.

and everyone talking about brad stevens magic, as if every player that ever has played with LBJ hasn't benefited greatly from playing next to him as well.

every star that got traded in the past 2 years went for a steep discount, Boogie, PG, Butler... and when ainge finally pulled the trigger it looks like full price.

The Celts still own the Lakers first round pick so they should still get a decent player. NBA got lucky with opening night Cavs vs. Celtics & Rocket & Warriors #can't wait.

Bosh and love have not benefited from playing with Lebron

Seems like grading this trade is mostly a referendum on Kyrie. If you think he is a franchise player that can carry a team to an Eastern Conference championship, it's a win for Boston. If you think he's a volume scorer who has largely benefited from playing next to the best player in the league, it's a Cavs win.

Seems like grading this trade is mostly a referendum on Kyrie. If you think he is a franchise player that can carry a team to an Eastern Conference championship, it's a win for Boston. If you think he's a volume scorer who has largely benefited from playing next to the best player in the league, it's a Cavs win.

This is the correct post. The Celtics didn't overpay if they are getting an elite 25 yr old franchise level player who they think they can resign. But I don't think they are.

Cleveland won the trade if BRKLN gets the #1 or #1 pick.

Crowder can slow Klay a little.

Yeah I don't see how this helps Cleveland beat the Warriors other than whatever defensive effect Crowder has, which I think is overrated. Unless they now flip IT for Patrick Beverly, then they would have a shot.

Celts paid more because it was going to take more for Cleveland to trade to the top regular season EC team. Celts paid more because they did want to give IT $30mm a year and this was the way to get out of it. Celts paid more because they wanted a 25yo in his prime vs a 5'9 28yo with a bad hip.

I do think the Celts gave up a lot but I am assuming they think the Nets will be slightly better than terrible and may not get a top 5 pick anyway.

This is what a trade looks like when both teams (relatively) lack leverage. The part that makes me laugh from the Celtics side is that Ainge has been so stingy with young players and picks, and this is where he goes all in? Not for Boogie, who was cheap?

And this is what...10 players gone from the roster that won the East last season? Not saying the Celtics are worse, they do have some legit all stars now and not just Brad Stevens voodoo All Stars. It also seems crazy to me that in clearing some cap space the Cs also gave up one of the best contracts in the league in Crowder.

I'm super high on Kyrie and even higher on Brad Stevens, but the fluid system is going to have to change in Boston, right? The team that was 7th in assists swapped PGs with the team 22nd in assists. Gotta think there will be growing pains.

Anyway, fascinating swap.

The Celtics got the better player, but it didn't improve them that much. Kyrie doesn't play D. Now, the Celtics have lost two of their three best wing defenders. But what they needed is someone to rebound.

For the Cavs:
How good is Zizic?
Can they get Michael Porter (honestly don't know)?
This could be a steal of a trade if those 2 end up on the roster and contributing in a year.

For the Celts:
Very good starting 5, love the rotation at 1/2/3 spots with Rozier/Smart/Tatum coming in.

Down low -- Marcus Morris and Horford are soft. Backups are 6'7 rookie Olejeye and Aron Baynes. Baynes isn't soft, but isn't real good either. That's your depth now that crappy Zeller is gone too?.

So, not sure, I guess Cavs really won, but Celts starting 5 could do some real work.

Back