• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official ACC Basketball Thread: UVA beats Maryland in overtime!

I seem to remember that both sons wanted to play at VPI. I would guess that Greenburg was slow to warm to them and by the time he came around he did not make any friends.

Stephen got an offer to walk on I think. Not sure how he screwed up the second one.

Both were tiny and physically underdeveloped during the peak recruiting time they were in HS. Think Steph grew like 4 inches over his senior year of HS and signing with Davidson. The fact that everyone else missed on the younger one makes me feel like he wasn't anything special coming out. Just your classic case of a player not being physically there, and then they hit their growth spurt after its too late for most. You would have thought that Dell's talent alone and their shooting would have garnered bigger offers though.

Lots of tech posters spouted the party line that Steph would not have really helped that much anyway during his first two years.

The fact that Seth didn't get more offers after everyone got to see how they missed the first evaluation is quite confusing. Plenty were willing after a year at Liberty.

3 games today. First up is a must-win game for Maryland, in a game that is somehow on ESPN2

12:00 espn2 #87 Clemson @ #61 Maryland (-5) 73%
1:00 espn3 #10 Miami @ #134 Wake Forest (+11) 14%
4:00 espn #37 North Carolina St @ #31 North Carolina (-5) 67%

Current matrix projections:
Miami: 1 seed (#2 overall)
Duke: 1 seed (#3 overall)
NCSt: 7 seed
UNC: 10 seed
----
UVA: 1st team OUT
MD: 3rd team OUT

Looking way too far ahead...

Based on the current KenPom projections, 3-6 in the ACC standings would be UVA, UNC, NCSt, MD. That would make for a pretty fun Friday at the ACCT. UNC/NCSt in the 4/5 game would be a great crowd, and then UVA/MD in the 3/6 game could very well be a NCAAT "elimination" game of sorts.

Last edited:
I'm no KenPom expert and really don't know much about how he comes up with his rankings but it sure seems like he's killing NCSU for close wins while not giving us any props for close losses to Miami and Michigan, as well as that almost all losses are by 3 points or less. Really just don't see a 7 seed in our future.

Sloppy game with Clemson and MD right now.

You're outside the Top 25. Basic math says a 7 seed or worse.

You just have to know we are going to beat Miami. We are tottering on the edge and beating #2 Miami would get Bzz his extension. I think the last thing anyone, who is completely focused on Bzz getting fired this year, wanted is for a highly ranked, undefeated in the ACC Miami coming to town.

The only way this could be worse is if IU had lost tonight and Miami was #1 in waiting.

Or we lose by 40.

Do I know hoops or what. :)

Or it's the blind squirrel thing (but I also called the NC State win so that would be two nuts.)

Still not seeing Tyler Lewis as a legit player. It's basically 5 on 4 when he's on the court right now against UNC.

I'm no KenPom expert and really don't know much about how he comes up with his rankings but it sure seems like he's killing NCSU for close wins while not giving us any props for close losses to Miami and Michigan, as well as that almost all losses are by 3 points or less. Really just don't see a 7 seed in our future.

Sloppy game with Clemson and MD right now.

Those seed projections I posted are entirely separate from KenPom. Those are just a aggregation of basically every bracketology site you can find online.

Based on the KenPom numbers, State would be a 10.

Those seed projections I posted are entirely separate from KenPom. Those are just a aggregation of basically every bracketology site you can find online.

Based on the KenPom numbers, State would be a 10.

I keep hearing pundits say "Look out for NC State in the tournament", like all of a sudden they are going to quit sucking.

State could easily be 6-8. Very underachieving.

but I thought gottfried was the second coming?

State could easily be 6-8. Very underachieving.

No question about it.

Still time for the Wolfpack to turn it around though. They are favored in each of their remaining 4 games, plus they will probably be the best team playing on Thursday at the ACCT. I wonder if, on some level, State's players just don't care very much about the regular season, considering that they made their run last year as an 11 seed in the NCAAT. They might just be thinking to themselves, "we'll turn it on when it really counts."

Last year's team was 32nd in offense, 65th in defense.
This year's team is 8th in offense, 133rd in defense.

I don't know how you could attribute that drop to personnel changes. To me that screams effort.

3 games on the slate today:

2:00 espn3 #109 Boston College @ #5 Duke (-20) 95%
2:00 espn3 #80 Georgia Tech @ #19 Virginia (-9) 85%
6:00 espnU #120 Florida State @ #161 Virginia Tech (-1) 51%

Must-win game for Virginia. Duke should cruise. FSU/VT should be competitive, if not good. Would love to talk to the person at ESPN who decided to show that game nationally.

No question about it.

Still time for the Wolfpack to turn it around though. They are favored in each of their remaining 4 games, plus they will probably be the best team playing on Thursday at the ACCT. I wonder if, on some level, State's players just don't care very much about the regular season, considering that they made their run last year as an 11 seed in the NCAAT. They might just be thinking to themselves, "we'll turn it on when it really counts."

Last year's team was 32nd in offense, 65th in defense.
This year's team is 8th in offense, 133rd in defense.

I don't know how you could attribute that drop to personnel changes. To me that screams effort.

To me that screams coaching.

Looks like there is a decent chance we pass Boston College in KenPom tomorrow. Currently 7 spots behind them, but Duke is steamrolling them right now. Spread was 20; Duke is up 17, 12 minutes in.

UVA up 11, late first half.

Leslie was unable (or unwilling?) to score or rebound on his 6'5 defender. it looked like he didn't give two craps about the game. so glad he doesn't play for my team.

unable, then unwilling. as a basketball fan i wish he gave more fucks. he could be so good. Gott coddles him way too much. There was a 14 pt swing in the second half when he went out of the game. I was happy when he came back in.

Last edited:
So Bzz to get blown out by GT and then lose to them in the final minute at home. They blow.

Back