• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Manning isn't clowning us. They have a done deal, but we have to wait for Wellman to do his dog and pony show in Dallas and then come back next week and have a press conference.

Manning went to Dallas with the Wake contingent. They will hobnob around introducing him as the Wake coach.

If he's in Dallas with Wake people that seems like it would leak pretty quickly.

Wouldn't be surprised if an announcement comes out tomorrow, then a presser on Tuesday or Wednesday when Wellman gets back.

Absolutely no inside info there BTW, just guessing

This would be a great time for one of those coaches making in the area of $2m whose name hasn't been mentioned anywhere to suddenly express an interest. Maybe someone will see the shit show and feel like they'd put up with it for a few years for a million-dollar raise.

The more I think about the flight tracking angle, I think he is coming or at least we feel pretty good about it. The extra leg from Tulsa to Dallas is a generous gesture. If he had said no, we would have been classy and gotten him back to Tulsa. Beyond that, he'd be on his own to get to Dallas if that's what he wants to do. You could argue that we are doing it as part of the effort to woo him, but I'm not sure. We want him in Dallas, and I think/hope others are right that he will be running the media gauntlet this weekend. The only missing item is time to notify his team.

Someone is paying about $1,500/hr for that aircraft, and the diversion to TX is going to add about 2 hours or so to the cost.

Manning isn't clowning us. They have a done deal, but we have to wait for Wellman to do his dog and pony show in Dallas and then come back next week and have a press conference.

Manning went to Dallas with the Wake contingent. They will hobnob around introducing him as the Wake coach.

There's no reason he can't be announced as the new coach in a press release, with an official introduction as the new coach at a press conference next week. Whenever a school calls a press conference to announce a new head coach, guess what? They say the press conference is to announce so-and-so, by name, as the new head coach. There's no reason to wait on this after he tells his Tulsa players except for the fact that it isn't a done deal yet.

QFHvqZe.gif

The more I think about the flight tracking angle, I think he is coming or at least we feel pretty good about it. The extra leg from Tulsa to Dallas is a generous gesture. If he had said no, we would have been classy and gotten him back to Tulsa. Beyond that, he'd be on his own to get to Dallas if that's what he wants to do. You could argue that we are doing it as part of the effort to woo him, but I'm not sure. We want him in Dallas, and I think/hope others are right that he will be running the media gauntlet this weekend. The only missing item is time to notify his team.

Someone is paying about $1,500/hr for that aircraft, and the diversion to TX is going to add about 2 hours or so to the cost.

Or if he was leaving, maybe he'd go to Tulsa to tell his players/the administration?

I read this...and the only thing I got out of it is that Wellman is wasting time and money...at least he's consistent.

Given our AD, I wouldn't be surprised if no official announcement was ever made and we found out Manning was the coach when the first exhibition game starts.

"We didn't think we needed to introduce him!!!1111"

Random question:

If you had a choice today would you rather have Danny Manning or Andy Einfield approach the podium as the new coach? Last year the majority of fans were all about getting rid of [Redacted] and bringing in The Einfield family. Today I w/o a doubt would prefer Manning so each year is really just a crap shoot when you are hiring a coach that hasn't already reached an elite level.

Enfield. USC will be really good under his leadership.

I don't think Mack was ever considering Wake to be honest. Friend of Dino's, alum at X, and probably not a fan of RW. If Manning passes. Some BOT should take a briefcase with 3M to Howland directly and tell him he'll never have to answer to RW.

^^^THIS^^^. Although it probably won't take $3 million if you take RW out of the equation.

There's no reason he can't be announced as the new coach in a press release, with an official introduction as the new coach at a press conference next week. Whenever a school calls a press conference to announce a new head coach, guess what? They say the press conference is to announce so-and-so, by name, as the new head coach. There's no reason to wait on this after he tells his Tulsa players except for the fact that it isn't a done deal yet.

I agree. But this is Wellman we are talking about.

I'd be willing to turn the reigns over to PhDeac at this point, let him coach for a year, pay him around 400k, and try again next year.

Or if he was leaving, maybe he'd go to Tulsa to tell his players/the administration?

That's what I was thinking. I mean he'd already be there in Tulsa. How could you NOT tell your team personally, ESPECIALLY if you have a weekend press junket publicizing your move. That part doesn't add up.

I'd be willing to turn the reigns over to PhDeac at this point, let him coach for a year, pay him around 400k, and try again next year.

Ph just printed out this post, showed it to his boss, and became the highest paid prof at USF.

Back