• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Rewatched Immortal Beloved last night. Saw it in the theater back when released. Having low expectations aside from the music, it was...OK. Aside from probably missing badly on the answer to the central question of the identity of the titular person, a lot of other scenes, it seems, probably have a decent basis in reality. Totally forgot Isabella Rossellini was in the movie.

2/3 through Waterworld with my son. Is it a hot take that it’s…not that bad?
It’s not. It’s just kind of silly but given the past 15 years of comic book stuff and sci fi it doesn’t seem so bad now. Especially given the practical work.

yeah I've always liked it but I was obsessed with boats as a kid. my dad always called people on jet skis "smokers" whenever we were out on our boat after it came out.

Also, when i was watching I thought “is that Jack Black?” Googled it and sure enough, he’s in it.

It’s not. It’s just kind of silly but given the past 15 years of comic book stuff and sci fi it doesn’t seem so bad now. Especially given the practical work.
Never seen the movie, but the Waterworld stunt show at University Studios Hollywood has very impressive practical effects.

2/3 through Waterworld with my son. Is it a hot take that it’s…not that bad?

I could be wrong, but I think it's status as a flop was more due to it being one of the most expensive movies ever made (maybe the most at the time) and not making that money on release. It did get panned a bit as I recall, but I never thought it was a terrible movie. I just don't know why a movie with essentially one setting would cost so damn much. Seems ridiculous.

Also relevant here is that the whole post-apocalyptic setting thing was pretty worn out by the 90s. The collapse of the USSR probably had something to do with that.

Just watched Confess, Fletch on Paramount Plus. Delightful. Old fashioned charming comedy/action/mystery. Jon Hamm fun as hell of course.

Argylle wasn’t very good. WAAYYY too long and the conceit has a couple decent ideas but overall didn’t work for me. I do like Sam Rockwell though

Yeah, I agree with that. I really wanted Argyle to be way better than it was

Used pickups from record store:
El Mariachi
Eastern Promises
Joker
Machete
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Catch Me If You Can
The Conformist

Great haul

Eastern Promises is one of my favorites

I wonder how El Mariachi holds up

My brother and I are probably not the first to describe this, but we came up with a sub-genre called “small pictures” characterized by the following:

-Limited number of characters, let’s say 3-5 main characters.
-linear plot
-limited settings.
-tight plot
-limited to no special effects

So far, the working list for small pictures includes:

Pig
First Cow
The American
Blue Ruin
Glengarry Glenross

My most recent nomination is Leon the Professional, but we are still contemplating that one.

Back