• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Great haul

Eastern Promises is one of my favorites

I wonder how El Mariachi holds up
Eastern Promises, a 2007 film, from what I consider the greatest year in film history. The list of movies released that year is just absurd.

Eastern Promises, a 2007 film, from what I consider the greatest year in film history. The list of movies released that year is just absurd.
Agreed. We Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Mr. Woodcock, the Number 23, Shrek the 3rd, the list goes on and on.

For real though, it is crazy how many great movies came out that year.

Used pickups from record store:
El Mariachi
Eastern Promises
Joker
Machete
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Catch Me If You Can
The Conformist
Nice, I just ordered The Conformist on Blu from the Kino Lorber sale a few days ago. Looking forward to getting that one and giving it a spin. Haven't seen it in a while.

My brother and I are probably not the first to describe this, but we came up with a sub-genre called “small pictures” characterized by the following:

-Limited number of characters, let’s say 3-5 main characters.
-linear plot
-limited settings.
-tight plot
-limited to no special effects

So far, the working list for small pictures includes:

Pig
First Cow
The American
Blue Ruin
Glengarry Glenross

My most recent nomination is Leon the Professional, but we are still contemplating that one.
Bresson movies are probably the extreme of this. A Man Escaped is a good starting point.

My brother and I are probably not the first to describe this, but we came up with a sub-genre called “small pictures” characterized by the following:

-linear plot
-limited settings.
-tight plot

Glengarry Glenross

Probably not a coincidence that Glengarry Glen Ross was written first for the stage

-linear plot
-limited settings.
-tight plot

Pig
First Cow
The American
Blue Ruin
Glengarry Glenross

My most recent nomination is Leon the Professional, but we are still contemplating that one.

The Outfit meets this definition. (I think). There may be one flashback.

Agreed. We Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Mr. Woodcock, the Number 23, Shrek the 3rd, the list goes on and on.

For real though, it is crazy how many great movies came out that year.

I know you're making a joke but I wanted to highlight how truly awful this movie was.

Civil War was very good. It’s extremely tense and dark. It’s hard to describe it as dystopian because it feels much more immediate than that. It is directed and filmed very similarly to Children of Men, which provides that feeling of vulnerability and fear for the protagonists.

Civil War was very good. It’s extremely tense and dark. It’s hard to describe it as dystopian because it feels much more immediate than that. It is directed and filmed very similarly to Children of Men, which provides that feeling of vulnerability and fear for the protagonists.
I thought it was really good and definitely reminded me of Children of Men. It's insane that Jesse Plemons ended up in the movie by accident and provided the most memorable scene

saw Kung Fu Panda 4 on sunday

not bad; good for a sequel, let alone the 4th in the series. Action sequence at the end was pretty damn good. I'm getting pretty tired of Awkwafina, though.

Hans Zimmer co-soundtrack credit.

saw Kung Fu Panda 4 on sunday

not bad; good for a sequel, let alone the 4th in the series. Action sequence at the end was pretty damn good. I'm getting pretty tired of Awkwafina, though.

Hans Zimmer co-soundtrack credit.

Even my 7 year old kid is recognizing Awkwafina at this point. I mean, she has a pretty distinctive voice, but still...she is in about 178% of animated movies released in the last 5 years.

Even my 7 year old kid is recognizing Awkwafina at this point. I mean, she has a pretty distinctive voice, but still...she is in about 178% of animated movies released in the last 5 years.
same with my 8yo

Surely there are other Asian female actors available for VO Work

I’ve never quite understood the push for celebrities in animated films over professional voice actors. Do people watch a film for a celebrity voice?

I assume it is primarily marketing and most celebrities who do it are more talented than working voice actors in any event.

Back