• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake vs. UTEP Game Thread

Except we played better when he was suspended

Never passed the eye test

Beat up on inferior competition and wilted against guys his skill level (maybe a couple exceptions)

his size hurt him more than anything else (other than his head, i guess)

his antics never bothered me all that much, but he never really learned that he earned himself a reputation and would sometimes get bad calls because of it

Today is going to be close to the best offensive output in KP history (back to 2002).

Wake dropped 40 in the second half despite attempting (and missing) just one three point. That's pretty impressive.

No one is leaving early for the draft

Collins maybe next year

It's a pretty stacked draft this year, I seriously doubt either of them leave.

Just checked, and wow you're right. Neither crack the top 60 (yet) on either mock draft I saw.

Also, a random Rodney Purvis name sighting. Completely forgot about that guy after he left State.

It's really early; but for years we wondered who would score the basketball and now we have multiple options...options both inside and outside. Hardly seems possible that this could be a WF team given the recent past.

And it looks like these guys take to coaching. Such a different offense in the 2nd half and switching defenses, it's early but this is so different.

We must defend better however and our big guys must stay out of foul trouble. Still if we stay away from injuries, this could be fun.

Tomorrow will be a really good litmus test. Nova top 5 in both offense and defense.

So what are our chances tomorrow? Did Nova lose much off last year's title team? Admittedly, other than Wake, I don't get into college hoops much until the New Year.

So what are our chances tomorrow? Did Nova lose much off last year's title team? Admittedly, other than Wake, I don't get into college hoops much until the New Year.

Probably be a 13-15 point dog if I had to guess.

They lost Arcidiacano (PG), and a banger in Echefu. That's it. Return all their other key players.

I'm going to guess we struggle with foul trouble tomorrow trying to stop penetration and we lose 81-68

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

I wonder if we're gonna be back among the top 68 in KenPom. If so, you know what that means.

I wonder if we're gonna be back among the top 68 in KenPom. If so, you know what that means.

Yes, we absolutely will. May move inside the top 60. Our defense may drop slightly.

Looks like we scored 103 points on 76 estimated possessions, and allowed 81 on 76 possessions.

1.35 PPP for Wake
1.06 PPP for UTEP

After the adjustment for playing each other (UTEP is worse than average in both aspects of the game), our 99 defensive PPP will go up a bit, and our 108.3 offensive PPP will likely go up a good amount.

Guessing 62-63 when it hits in a little bit.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no idea what to expect tomorrow. And I mean that in a good way. I do know that a win is absolutely possible, as is losing by double digits. This team looks like they could run with just about anyone and it wouldn't be a fluke.

It's amazing how much easier t is for Dinos to get his shot off with 3 more shooters on the court and an athletic post presence.

Arians, Crawford, and Wilbekin each had a nice pump fake, dribble, mid range jumper play that is going to make defenders think twice.

They're killing it this year. Favorite to win it all, imo.

Nova was top 5 in offense and defense last year en route to a National Championship. Two years ago they ranked 4th in offense, and 11th in defense.

This year they return the 14th most minutes in terms of continuity. That's not a small sample size at all.

Complete guess, but I'd be surprised to see a spread larger than 11.5... I'll take the Deacs again for sure if we are getting double digits.

Back