• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Press Conference

So the site that originally said there was going to be a press conference now has this comment from the original author up there:

Andy Durham said,

Looks like anything that was going to happen today(Tuesday) will be postponed due to the weather and Ron Wellman extending his NCAA visits out of town at the NCAA game city sites…(Wellman NCAA Tournament Chairman)

They may need more time to figure out how they want to approach this…

Some sort of basketball wisdom tells you that Jeff [Redacted] has to resign to save some face for AD Ron Wellman, the man who went out on a limb and hired [Redacted] in the first place…

They have a very good friendship from over the years and if [Redacted] resigns/steps down, then that takes some of the pressure off of Wellman, who in turn does not have to fire his friend….

Everything that was to be is postponed for today(Tuesday) with the weather and the overall travel conditions….Wake will try to get all of their plans together and when we get more, we will pass it on…

I don’t think this is a resignation ruse, it really is not a matter of if, but when all of this will take place….

If Ron Wellman has to step up and fire Jeff [Redacted] and push his friend out, it will not be pretty…

The move to make is for Jeff [Redacted] to step down and do it in such a way that it does not hurt Wake Forest, or their future basketball plans and so that it keeps their leader, Ron Wellman in place until he is ready to move on too….

This is such CYA bullshit from Andy Durham. He was the only one reporting there would be a PC today. And when it didn't happen (because it was never going to in the first place) instead of being a man and admitting he was wrong he blames it not happening on the weather. It could have been 70 degrees and sunny and there still wouldn't have been a press conference today.

cannot believe a high-quality site like greensborosports.com let us down. or is it greensborosportz?

I said this in the other thread, but it makes sense to say here too after that CC post. Wellman likes to have his ducks lined up. He's not going to stand for an NC State situation where they got blasted for not having a head coach for 1-2 months (twice, right?). If the announcement is made later this week, he either has a coach lined up or he's in a position to begin interviews as soon as teams are eliminated from the tournaments. Does a few days make a difference? No. But Wellman does things his way.
Think this post is exactly right and needs to be bumped. Wellman's recent hires in the two major sports have shown he likes to do everything humanly possible to eliminate the time between Point A (the termination or resignation of the current coach), and Point B (the hiring of the departing coach's successor). If Wellman has his eye on coaches whose teams are alive in the NCAA tournament, he's not going to announce anything any sooner than he has to.

Like we're really surprised they're goofing this up - let's recap - ummmm....
Firing Dino Justification - poor record in post-season
Hiring Bzz - no search firm/ hiring a guy with no track record of success and no postseason success
Hiring Bzz Justification - going with my gut
Not Firing Bzz after year 2 - Jeff's done everything we've asked him to do and he's building the foundation
Not Firing Bzz after year 3 - he's got a great group of players who will be sophomores next year plus D Green and our attendance is up

why would anyone think that we'd go with normal process and fire Bzz on Friday or at the latest Monday?

Travis Hancock ‏@TBoneWFNZ 5m
Per John Feinstein's sources, Wake will not be firing Jeff [Redacted]

As long as the end result is the same, that's fine, but it's weird that Feinstein has been told we're not firing him.

This guy has 3k followers and works for a Charlotte radio station. Says same source told him about the assistants.

THIS GUY HAS ALL OF THE BAD NEWS

Travis Hancock ‏@TBoneWFNZ 2m
@nelroy78 Also rumors of Buzz Williams wanting the Virginia Tech job

No chance. I can't imagine that Wellman would fire either Rusty or Chill.

Maybe counting Nix as an assistant? But, it would obviously be absurd to fire our too most qualified / successful coaches and leave Rusty, Childress, and [Redacted] in place.

Travis Hancock ‏@TBoneWFNZ 13m
Per John Feinstein's sources, Wake will not be firing Jeff [Redacted]

Travis Hancock ‏@TBoneWFNZ 10m
@KennyKeller_CSN They will, according to the source, fire 2 assistant coaches instead of JB

Nix doesn't count as an assistant. The three are Battle, Chill, and Rusty.

I don't know if I believe this at all, but this guy seems somewhat credible. It's certainly more credible than the Greensboro Sports site.

Nix doesn't count as an assistant. The three are Battle, Chill, and Rusty.

I don't know if I believe this at all, but this guy seems somewhat credible. It's certainly more credible than the Greensboro Sports site.

I realize what his title is, just saying that that's a potential point of confusion depending on what the source is. I know Corbean was called coach by the players while he was still DOBO.

Back