• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

I guess so but in this clip he clearly thinks ivf is birth control.

Doesn’t stop him from giving away the game anyway.
I do not think that is so clear. I think he was of the opinion that embryos should be carried to term and not destroyed .

I don't know how to embed the tweets, but 2 minutes ago he posted this:

I've spoken with Alabama Speaker of the House Nathaniel Ledbetter and he's assured me that a bill to protect IVF will be taken up immediately. We want everyone to have the opportunity to have kids. IVF will remain legal and available in Alabama.

If the Supreme Court justice cited the Bible and god in his decision, why wouldn’t he just strike down any new law as unconstitutional too?

IVF isn’t illegal in Alabama. But running a clinic or undergoing treatment opens up a high risk of being sued.

Last edited:
Yeah good luck finding a doctor who wants to treat you and worry about republicans trying to throw them jail for some crazy thing or another.

I can’t believe all these auburn fans who knew him up close and personal and knew he was an idiot still voted for him ( in the primary anyway…. In the general they obviously think that an idiot is still better than any democrat)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Republicans including Trump are coming out in support of IVF but it’s unclear how they’ll square this conflict. “I support IVF” is an easy thing to say. Reassuring providers and patients that they can freely exercise reproductive rights in this space is a whole different issue.

Yeah to make a law they will have to make a hard stop that embryos and life begins at fertilization aka conception isn’t true, and that’s not happening in a place like Alabama.

Republicans including Trump are coming out in support of IVF but it’s unclear how they’ll square this conflict. “I support IVF” is an easy thing to say. Reassuring providers and patients that they can freely exercise reproductive rights in this space is a whole different issue.
Do they need to do anything but say “I support IVF”? People aren’t voting for these ghouls as a result of actual policy or, well, reality.

if you can’t conceive naturally I guess that’s just god’s will (in Alabama)

That's a good point. And that's probably why that's the talking point it took them a week to come up with.

There are still some wealthy suburban families still voting Republican.

They are going to write a useless and uninformed law that says IVF is legal and encouraged as long as no embryos are harmed or killed in the process.

Alabama is the sacrificial lamb here. They’re the “radical” option that other states will use to say “Well hey, look, we’re reasonable. We don’t think it’s a human for 4 weeks.” And people will think “Well at least it’s not that absurd embryo law.”

At least that used to be the strategy. Unfortunately the radical right has become the dominating force in that party, so that’s when these initial first pitches/“fringe” ideas run wild and idiots actually get behind it.

Alabama is the sacrificial lamb here. They’re the “radical” option that other states will use to say “Well hey, look, we’re reasonable. We don’t think it’s a human for 4 weeks.” And people will think “Well at least it’s not that absurd embryo law.”

At least that used to be the strategy. Unfortunately the radical right has become the dominating force in that party, so that’s when these initial first pitches/“fringe” ideas run wild and idiots actually get behind it.

The message should be the GOP cannot be trusted. They made the SCOTUS who overturned Roe and caused the IVF mess. They will moderate their message during the election then they will flip once elected to serve their fundamentalist billionaire backers.

That's part of the strategy, though. Pass vague laws that make healthcare providers afraid to provide care, and then blame the healthcare providers for not providing any care that is popular.

"What? We had an (extremely vague) exception for the life of the woman, it's the doctors' fault if women die."

That's true. That's the typical playbook. But they seem to have been caught off-guard this time. The consequences got ahead of their rhetoric. Probably because IVF is more common than late term pregancy complications or at least because people are more open about their IVF experiences than pregnancy complications or abortions.

I'm guessing it's also breaking through more than other stories about abortion restrictions. And I'm basing that on the fact that my 97 year old grandfather brought it up when I visited him today.

Back