• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

is it really xenophobic to want people that are American to play for America? Isn't that the whole point of national teams? is international football xenophobic?

Every one of our German-American players not only has the required passport, but has an American parent and thus is, by definition, American. So, yes, that's xenophobic, not to mention fucking dumb.

I don't agree with her. I also don't think it's particularly xenophobic to think of dudes born and raised in Germany who played for German international youth teams who wouldn't have given the USMNT a second thought if there was any chance Germany would give them any call ups beyond the occasional C team friendly as "foreigners." Just an opinion I disagree with. there's some pretty fucked up shit about Rossi said on these boards simply for choosing Italy but I guess that's cool

I think those guys are American. I think it's 'Merican af that dudes like Nagbe and Zelalem are gonna play for us. I just think some people are jumping on the offense train more than a little easily. But c'est la vie

More dumb than xenophobic. The goal is to put the best team on the field and win. Jones and Johnson qualify as Americans under FIFA rules and so does Ted Cruz. They're the best players we can put on the field. That's not Jurgen's fault.

I was in Wilmington and couldn't watch/attend the match if you really wanted to know

Landon made some interesting comments on Twitter last night about it

6nsi2e.jpg

x3dez8.jpg

zkofsx.jpg

Hey Landon, that doesn't matter. Of course they don't identify as "American;" they fucking grew up in Germany, Norway, etc... That doesn't make them any less American.

His tweets are nothing more than sour grapes, and while I believe Jurgen sucks and screwed Donovan, I wish he, too, would just STFU

...as for team chemistry, where do we start? Jurgen has fucked that up pretty consistently, whether it was dual nationals, keepers, holding grudges (Donovan, Feilhaber), etc...

I just think it's bullshit to cry about this. FIFA's rules are their rules. If you hold a US passport, you can play for the US. Did Landon bitch in 2002 about David Regis or Earnie Stewart?

Hey Landon, that doesn't matter. Of course they don't identify as "American;" they fucking grew up in Germany, Norway, etc... That doesn't make them any less American.

His tweets are nothing more than sour grapes, and while I believe Jurgen sucks and screwed Donovan, I wish he, too, would just STFU

Mix disagrees w you on this. FWIW. Grew up elsewhere but identifies as an American. Wants to rep flag and country first and foremost.

Mix disagrees w you on this. FWIW. Grew up elsewhere but identifies as an American. Wants to rep flag and country first and foremost.

I was referring to those Landon said didn't identify as American. Mix spent months each year, as a kid, in Arizona.

Back