• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

LOL. Landon Donovan is the Trump of US Soccer.

I was referring to those Landon said didn't identify as American. Mix spent months each year, as a kid, in Arizona.

John Brooks? How about Earnie Stewart?

I don't see it as any different than kids that grew up in the US but identify as "Mexican" and decided to play for the Mex Nat'l team.

Or Guiseppe Rossi, who grew up in Jersey but "identifies" as Italian.

The look on John Brooks' face after he scored the winner against Ghana is all I'll ever need to see. That dude was so humbled and proud.

John Brooks? How about Earnie Stewart?

I don't see it as any different than kids that grew up in the US but identify as "Mexican" and decided to play for the Mex Nat'l team.

Or Guiseppe Rossi, who grew up in Jersey but "identifies" as Italian.

What about Brooks and Stewart? How does Mix disagree with me? My point was that it doesn't matter - they have American fathers. They are Americans. I simply pointed out that Mix spent, IIRC, every summer of his youth with his American grandparents in Arizona. Perhaps he's not one of the guys Landon's so worried about. :rulz:

This whole argument is dumb, and Landon should just shut up, too. I'm sure there were "chemistry" problems in the locker room as European-Americans came in. Guess why? Because jobs were on the line. I once worked for a private company that had longtime employees used to mediocrity, but there were never any consequences for being average. Then, we got a new guy in from GE, and he brought with him other guys from GE. They were outsiders, and the long timers lost their shit. They complained about "culture" changes, that the new guys "didn't understand what we're trying to do." Ultimately, most of them left - and the long timers who simply worried about getting better stayed and thrived.

I love Landon, I wish he'd just stop with this nonsense.

Fact is that we'd suck eggs (even more eggs than we're currently sucking) without dual nationals. Without Brooks, Jones, and Johnson, we get one point or maybe zero points in Brazil, and Donovan, Wambach, and the jingoism crowd are whining about that instead.
It's more entertaining than anything else because LD is so obviously grinding the biggest axe in the history of axes, and Jurgen is an asshole and an unsympathetic target because of it. That's the only reason to follow this "story."

Fact is that we'd suck eggs (even more eggs than we're currently sucking) without dual nationals. Without Brooks, Jones, and Johnson, we get one point or maybe zero points in Brazil, and Donovan, Wambach, and the jingoism crowd are whining about that instead.
It's more entertaining than anything else because LD is so obviously grinding the biggest axe in the history of axes, and Jurgen is an asshole and an unsympathetic target because of it. That's the only reason to follow this "story."

Yep.

...and IIRC, of LD's starting XI teammates in most games of WC 2002, 2/10 were dual nationals. It's funny, but I don't remember his bitching about "chemistry" back then.

You guys do realize that he might as well be naming Timmy Chandler and Julian Green, right? I don't think it's any secret that both of them wanted to play in a World Cup and didn't really care how. The Green deal is all but documented, and there were numerous cases of Chandler not exactly showing he was committed to the team/program.

There is nothing redeeming about Timmy Chandler. Shit player. Apparently shit person.

Then perhaps LD and Abby should name names instead of painting all dual nationals with the same brush

Back