• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Hex pretty set, HON the only team that could fall out really and that would take some doing.

Going to be a pretty strong field, no terrible team -- Panama seems to have improved since last time and T&T is deffo better than Jamaica was, IMHO

Jamaica's collapse over the last year is ridiculous. Finals of the Gold Cup to missing the Hex in one year.

I don't think it's out of reason to think that Mexico could beat Honduras by two and Canada could chase goals at home against El Salvador. More likely they'll need Mexico to hang 3+ though given how anemic the Canuck attack has been.

If it wasn't us on the line, I'd be rooting for Guatemala to pour the goals on SVG. I don't think we lose anyway, but those kinds of goal difference chases are fascinating to me.

If we win Tueday we open the hex in November with Mexico at home then at Costa Rica

If we win Tueday we open the hex in November with Mexico at home then at Costa Rica

Yeah, not sure that's a great choice for us given health/chemistry right now. 2nd place would mean Costa Rica at home then Honduras on the road.

I suppose playing two of our toughest matches early could be a better option though. The matches against teams 4-6 are more important for qualifying.

Jozy is our best PK taker

Off of the top of my head, he missed against Peru and Guatemala within the last couple years and missed AND hurt himself with Vancouver. So, I find that hard to believe or it's an indictment of the rest of our takers.

Off of the top of my head, he missed against Peru and Guatemala within the last couple years and missed AND hurt himself with Vancouver. So, I find that hard to believe or it's an indictment of the rest of our takers.

Who would you rather have that was on the field yesterday? Bobby Wood is the only argument I see, but I don't recall ever seeing him take a PK. Jozy was the obvious choice

The only players I see taking a PK over Jozy are Deuce (who I don't think is a great PK taker at all) and ArJo (who's probably our best in the pool, but never on the field)

I had to DVR match and watch last night. Who was doing the color commentary in the match? I missed his name and couldn't find it.

Who would you rather have that was on the field yesterday? Bobby Wood is the only argument I see, but I don't recall ever seeing him take a PK. Jozy was the obvious choice

The only players I see taking a PK over Jozy are Deuce (who I don't think is a great PK taker at all) and ArJo (who's probably our best in the pool, but never on the field)

Looking at the starters again, you're probably right. However, I do think Beckerman has taken for RSL fairly consistently. I'd probably chose him and Fabian and Bobby before JOZY!, but there really aren't many that I would trust beyond that. Deuce, JJ, and Bradley would likely be picked over JOZY! though. (Sometimes my dislike of JOZY's game gets the best of me)

Big Sam has England looking well, English. Slow, plodding and unimaginative. Who'd a thought it?

Skrtel might be looking at a 3 match ban after that.

Not sure if they can since the official seems to have witnessed it. Should have definitely been straight red rather than his 2nd yellow though. Clear stomp.

Kazakhstan has come back from 2 goals down to equalize. Cristian Ericksen just got denied by an amazing save from the Armenia keeper who pops up and saves Poulsen's rebound as well. Some entertaining matches.

Rodney's giveaway rate has been astounding. Not necessarily worse than normal of late, but still.

England showed some good fight, I was impressed with how they were working hard and together to get that winner. Hasn't always been there before

Seems like a very sparse crowd for Serbia-Ireland.

The condition of the field appears to be terrible. Standing water near the sides just off of the line.

Last edited:
Turkey has a player whose first name is "Okay."

I shit you not. And he's so proud of it he wears it on the back of his jersey

Back