• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sensational 7: Rankings

Which of the Sensational 7 will have the best college career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A few things:

1) Somebody will have to step up. When CJ and Travis leave, we'll be graduating 30+ ppg. We typically have three guys in double figures and so I don't think the future will be an exception.

2) Like I said, at least two guys are transferring. Maybe more.

3) Like I said, these are just projections. No science involved, though if you look at the per 40 PA numbers, they're really not that outrageous. Furthermore, we're going to be graduating minutes, possessions, and production.

4) Is Andre a top-5 pick? Who is to say... Certainly not in my post or elsewhere. Big E averaged those numbers and he wasn't even in consideration in the mid-second round that year. Andre has a lot of bulking up to do, but if he can and he keeps his mobility and motor (certainly while developing from a skills perspective), then he'll definitely get looks.

5) Our staff did a good job of scouting this class, but I don't want to give [Redacted] that much credit until we see how these guys weather a season in the [Redacted] Zone. But, like I said, people have to produce.

If a 7'1, agile center averages 14/9 in a BCS conference after starting out where he apparently is, that dude is lottery.

As to point 5, I'm just speaking to the point that bz found a bunch of solid acc-level starters (by your numbers) in a class full of non t100 guys. Agree that he certainly has the ability to derail their career arcs.

Rankings so far (10 entries):

1) CMM: 6.9
2) Rountree: 5.0
3) Thomas: 4.8
4) Moto: 4.5
5) Cav: 2.9
6) Jones: 2.6
7) Andre: 1.3

Basically 4 tiers. Codi clear #1. Andre clear #7. 2/3/4 all very close, and 5/6 very close.

Exactly. I know it was DCDeac rather than Strick, but Devin as a 15 and 10 guy "easy"? Darius Songaila, Eric Williams, James Johnson, and some guy named Rodney Rogers all fell short of that mark. Timmy, AFA, and Rod Griffin are the only guys to average that in the last 40 years.

Eh probably should have said 14/8 going by hard numbers. Assuming he stays 4 years, I think his ceiling is definitely realistic to compare to Visser 17/7 and a sophomore Aminu 16/11, Junior year EW 16/8, etc. I didn't really mean averaging a concrete 15/10 over the entire season, more like a guy who can go for 15/10 on any given night. Assuming the rotation settles down in ACC play, I'd expect his current numbers to bump to 8/7, which would put him slightly under Eric Williams scoring but over his rebounding as a freshman. In equal minutes he's already outrebounding freshman Eric Williams right now. We also don't have any big men in the pipeline to steal stats from him, so he'll benefit from that much like Aminu benefited as a sophomore.

Aminu was a beast. I just watched one of his putback dunks against Duke in 09 again on a Sportscenter highlight the other day. Would've loved to see what he could have done in his Junior year. Albeit we got Bz that year, so whatever it could have been, it probably would have been watered down.

I think Roundtree will have the most success, assuming, of course, that he transfers into a program that is capable of using his skill set. That's what is so hard about this, is one has to hope they make a good choice on where to play next.

stonz, care to revisit? not sure if you want to start a new thread or just have discussion on this one.

i still think codi is still the best chance of a star of the frosh with devin a pretty good shot to be damn good (along the lines of big e). tree has been a little exposed after putting up eye-popping stats in limited minutes. his offense is just really limited imo. moto's numbers may not back it up, but he just has the look of a future solid contributor to me. with frosh, i think fg% can be a little overrated. long term, give me guys that can get their shots over guys that may have a little better percentage but have very low usage. tyler is a little of an enigma because i think he perfectly fits a role (stretch 4, pick and pop guy), he's just not making shots. i do wish he worked the defensive board a little better. madison is probably fine as a backup PG (esp when you have a combo guard that can eat some minutes there) but he's pretty limited. dre is what we thought he was.

my current order:
CMM
DT
moto
tree
cav
madision
dre

Thanks for the bump, enjoyed re-reading this thread. I was planning to re-poll at the end of the year.

I'm very glad I went with Thomas over Rountree in my original rankings. Thomas and Codi should be the clear-cut top 2 now. I think the rest of the rankings have been pretty static.

I'm switching to Thomas. He may not play like he did against state every game. But he is no fluke. He is going to absolutely dominate as an upperclassman.

Mine previous:

CMM
Thomas
Tree
Jones
Moto
Cav
AW

Mine Now:

Thomas (he's a stud and working hard to improve)
CMM (looks really good at times, if he can spend most of his career at the 2 I think he'll be better than if he's the point)
Moto (lots of energy, hustle, very strong)
Jones (solid ball handler, seems to have a calming effect on the offense, not much of a scorer but doesn't have to be )
Rountree (Mr. Energy and Arms...has to develop an offensive game)
Andre/ (If Andre gets enough of a chance he could be the surprise of the group as he seems better in the limited minutes I've seen than most of us thought he would be at this point...)
Cav (love Cav's attitude/hustle but potential totally depends on if he becomes able to hit the three consistently during games if not he'll be filling a similar role to Chase)

If I was to redo it, I'd go
Thomas
CMM
Moto
Rountree
Madison
Washington
Cav

Same as the above post. I think Cav can be a starter as an upperclassman potentially so it's no big putdown. All the guys have enough skill to be effective players. I think the top 4 are slam dunk starters by the time they graduate. I would say Jones too but Mitchell is an exceptional talent and could start from day 1. Even as a backup PG, I think Jones should have an upside > Taron Downey.

Crazy to see how most of us underrated DT. I even said he'd probably have more to offer once coached by someone that doesn't suck.

I stand corrected.

My new rankings:
1.) CMM - I still think he will be the best of the new deacs. In my personal opinion, I think it takes longer for guards to adjust to the college game than it does others.
2.) DT - Obvious.
3.) Rountree - I still don't see why he's not getting minutes. Dude has a motor not many of our freshman can match. Get him some minutes Bzz.
4.) Madison - Good ball handler, does work defensively getting steals. I like it. I feel like his role will become a "second man" kind of deal once Mitchell comes to town, but he is still a good pickup.
5.) Moto - Good defender and can do work on boards/second chance points. He seems to struggle offensively overall.
6.) AWash - I feel he is under-valued. Give him some time, he COULD be fantastic. Anyone that size is valuable to us.
7.) Cav - I'm really disappointed in Cav. Having a horrible struggle getting the lid off of the basket. Decent rebounder, not a great defender, horrid scorer. I don't want to see him fall into a Chase-like role.

Last edited:
I'm switching to Thomas. He may not play like he did against state every game. But he is no fluke. He is going to absolutely dominate as an upperclassman.

This. The idea that he "peaked" at NCSU this early in his career!?

What is that shit? Heavypetter saying "no way he ever averages 12 pts a game" --- Whhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt!!!!

The fuggin guy may average 12 Rebounds a game by the time he is done...no replacing sheer will and desire...this guy has the drive to make himself better and better.

This. The idea that he "peaked" at NCSU this early in his career!?

What is that shit? Heavypetter saying "no way he ever averages 12 pts a game" --- Whhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt!!!!

The fuggin guy may average 12 Rebounds a game by the time he is done...no replacing sheer will and desire...this guy has the drive to make himself better and better.

ervin murray's best career game was the first one he started

Disagree with those putting Cav at or near the bottom. He's up against a freshman wall, but unlike Carson last year, he's maintaining his good attitude and continuing to push through. I'm not worried about him at all. He has the shooting skills to be deadly, he just needs the game to slow down a little, which it will. Like Thomas missing all those bunnies, I think Cav will eventually stop missing his jump shots. Watch out then.

Lol. I love this thread. Sorry Strick but I'm crying at your praise of Dre.

I was way off on Tree but it seems like when this thread started he was getting like 3 or 4 blocks in 10 minutes of action a night. He also had some ball handling and passing skills but was so dreadful scoring it didn't matter. Seemed like such a good kid too which made him easy to root for.

Back