• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Soundbite of Jay Bilas on David Glenn Show

Ayo

What up, Bird?
Reaction score
Last edited:
[Redacted] and his family have not received threats other than thinly veiled angry comments on the internet. What a drama queen.

Is he serious? If [Redacted] has been threatened, it has literally never been in the news. When K retires, if duke were to go 2-32 in road conference games, what would duke fans do? We're dealing with failure that we really cannot comprehend. Sorry if we stepped on toes, but maybe those toes needed to be stepped on.

I really don't understand why Nina is not making this decision. Hasn't she been miserable in W-S?

I understand he's a Dukie but do you guys really believe that blurs his impartiality? He certainly wouldn't lie and make up something as serious as threats against Buzz. I take him at his word, although I admit the story may have gotten exaggerated valong the way. Regardless, it seems like nobody on these boards is willing to admit that the reactions of fans to Buzz's non-firing and Wellman's inaction has tainted our program for the worse. And I don't understand what it's going to take.... maybe this is a Haas.

And yeah, you see what I did there.

pleeeeeeaaaaaase try and convince me that if this type of "fall from grace" happened at a Dook,UNC, NCSU or Cuse it would not be 10 times worse!!!?!?!
I do not condone threats but if you think that your Cameron Krazies would be angels if Duke basketball sunk then you are being naive.

I had UNC fans losing their minds just 2 months ago when they lost to Miami in the Dean Dome!

I understand he's a Dukie but do you guys really believe that blurs his impartiality? He certainly wouldn't lie and make up something as serious as threats against Buzz. I take him at his word, although I admit the story may have gotten exaggerated valong the way. Regardless, it seems like nobody on these boards is willing to admit that the reactions of fans to Buzz's non-firing and Wellman's inaction has tainted our program for the worse. And I don't understand what it's going to take.... maybe this is a Haas.

I would argue that Buzz's record and Wellman's inaction have harmed us more than some fan's reactions.

Also I wish the host of the show would have pressed Bilas on whether Buzz has what it takes to be an NCAA coach. I'm sure he's qualified to coach, but I think he's a totally pathetic motivator (of both his team, his assistants, and of the fans) and he's a well below average, lazy recruiter. So I don't see how Bilas could make the argument he's a good COLLEGE coach.

"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

I know it's been discussed in other threads, but here's another thread for Townie. Here's the soundbite for those who want to listen to Bilas' comments:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/jay-bilas-has-some-harsh-words-for-wake-fans

I'd really like to know where the "Jeff [Redacted] and his family have received threats" line is coming from. That has been reported nowhere.

At some point last year [Redacted] actually contacted WFU police and expressed concern that he felt threatened. We actually put up a notice on the boards for people to tone it down. I can't remember the exact timing.

There's no way Bilas knows more about Wake's head coach allegedly receiving threats than 99% of the people who consistently post on these boards. He probably heard that fodder in a discussion with someone and it was an off hand remark like "oh I've heard he's gotten threats from some fans too!!!!111"

I would argue that Buzz's record and Wellman's inaction have harmed us more than some fan's reactions.

I would agree. Wellman should have let Buzz go after 3 years. But the continued negativity of the fans is only dragging us down deeper and deeper. Wellman has made it clear he doesn't give a F*%K what the boards (internet message or highway bill) thinks. We're all frustrated to the point of "I honestly don't even know what to do anymore" so I can't really blame people... but it hurts to see people noticing that the negativity has permanently hurt the program.

I like Bilas and respect the majority of his opinions but I need more reasons on why Buzz is an ACC caliber coach.

At some point last year [Redacted] actually contacted WFU police and expressed concern that he felt threatened. We actually put up a notice on the boards for people to tone it down. I can't remember the exact timing.

That thread got bumped recently IIRC. It was also because a student...don't remember who it was (woody or someone) put up fliers in the Miller Center about [Redacted] or something and got chastised.

I don't consider message board posts to be serious threats unless the context is quite clear.

Feeling threatened and being threatened are two different things.

There's no way Bilas knows more about Wake's head coach allegedly receiving threats than 99% of the people who consistently post on these boards. He probably heard that fodder in a discussion with someone and it was an off hand remark like "oh I've heard he's gotten threats from some fans too!!!!111"

I mean... how could anyone deny that this type of behavior isn't POSSIBLE with some of the way people on the boards have reacted. And as Liquid Karma is noting, there have been some specific instances. Honestly only Buzz probably knows the full extent of it. Chris I agree, there is a different between FEELING threatened and being threatened. Obviously any sort of threatening of him and his family is unacceptable. I hope even as mad as we are we can all agree on that.

That thread got bumped recently IIRC. It was also because a student...don't remember who it was (woody or someone) put up fliers in the Miller Center about [Redacted] or something and got chastised.

I don't consider message board posts to be serious threats unless the context is quite clear.

It was also because the Athletic Department was (and is) monitoring the board. The rhetoric at that time was vitriolic and certain statements were perceived as threatening.

The AD has already thrown former coaches and players under the boss to prop up his star coach. Why not throw the fans under the boss as well, regardless of the narrative's accuracy?

Back