• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year, the Panthers had 3 LB's on the field 1/3 of the time vs having a 5th DB on the field 2/3 of the time. It's just the way the NFL is now right now. Nickel CB is a starter.

Right. And I'm curious to see if Jones moves to S and Bene moves back to nickel.

Right. And I'm curious to see if Jones moves to S and Bene moves back to nickel.

From hearing Gettleman and Rivera talk this offseason, I think that is what they ideally want to do but it probably depends on whether they draft CB who can play on the outside immediately after missing out on Ball.

Adarius Glanton did some good work for us at LB as well last year.

We're fine at linebacker. Arguably the strongest position on the team

Glanton had 11 tackles in the last two games. Didn't see the field much before that.

Right, he stepped in for Klein the last two games when he was hurt and did very well, particularly against ATL. We have plenty of depth there

The defense is very close to being elite again.

LB depth isn't the issue. It's when do we need to find a replacement for Thomas Davis. He's 32 and a major drop off in his play could happen as soon as this year. Ideally, we get 2-3 more years out of him, but at some point there needs to be a plan to replace him and I don't think any of the backups are good enough to take on that role. They are great as depth and fill ins but I wouldn't rely on any them to be full time starters.

We just signed a LB and special teams stud Jason trusnik

We better have the best special teams in NFL history after all of these signings.

We were such a shitty ST team last year - it directly submarined a few games. I think it was probably wise to sign predominantly ST and depth players on the cheap and plan on finding core players via the draft, considering the future money we'll have tied up in Cam and Luke.

We were such a shitty ST team last year - it directly submarined a few games. I think it was probably wise to sign predominantly ST and depth players on the cheap and plan on finding core players via the draft, considering the future money we'll have tied up in Cam and Luke.

Agree now that it's clear what GMan's end game was. I imagine he'll be bringing in serious camp competition for Gano as well.

All of the last guy on the roster for each position group is now a ST ace except for the lines. Hell, even Webb could be considered one at QB.

RB - Todman
WR - Boykin + Ginn
CB - Teddy Williams
LB - Trusnik
S - Coleman

Fozzy, Bersin and Philly could all find themselves on the outside looking in on cut down day assuming we draft a RB and WR. Gman has already shown his doesn't give a damn about fan favorites(although Bersin isn't one anymore) and this solidifies that for me. Expecting a TE to sign that excels at ST's to replace Brandon Williams any day now.

Last edited:
Fozzy ain't goin' nowhere, he's shown he can contribute on ST too and with J-Stew's injury history we need RB depth. He also just got a two-year deal.

But yeah, Philly and Bersin's roster spots are by no means a lock. I'd still think Philly will stick, he's shown potential

All of the last guy on the roster for each position group is now a ST ace except for the lines. Hell, even Webb could be considered one at QB.

RB - Todman
WR - Boykin + Ginn
CB - Teddy Williams
LB - Trusnik
S - Coleman

Fozzy, Bersin and Philly could all find themselves on the outside looking in on cut down day assuming we draft a RB and WR. Gman has already shown his doesn't give a damn about fan favorites(although Bersin isn't one anymore) and this solidifies that for me. Expecting a TE to sign that excels at ST's to replace Brandon Williams any day now.

Nice breakdown.

Fozzy ain't goin' nowhere, he's shown he can contribute on ST too and with J-Stew's injury history we need RB depth. He also just got a two-year deal.

But yeah, Philly and Bersin's roster spots are by no means a lock. I'd still think Philly will stick, he's shown potential

2 year deal with almost nothing guaranteed. Fozzy and Todman have pretty much the exact same build and running style. The major difference is Todman is faster, is known for ability to cover kicks and was 3rd in the NFL in kick return yards last year. Both Gettleman and Rivera said they expect to draft a RB who would most likely be RB2 behind Stewart which leaves Fozzy, Todman and Reaves to fight it out for RB3. I like Fozzy too, but he is by no means lock for a roster spot with the Todman signing.

Both Gettleman and Rivera said they expect to draft a RB who would most likely be RB2 behind Stewart

Good call, here are Ron Ron's comments at least:

"The thing you've got to be careful about in this league is you can't rely on one player at one position. I think at running back it's definitely been proven that you've got to have a good two-back tandem," Rivera said. "And that's what we're looking for. We're looking for that complement to Jonathan."

I just hope we don't overstretch ourselves to get an RB. Gettleman told De'ang part of why we let him walk was b/c we don't run the ball enough to justify that amount of investment in the RB position.

And Fozzy hasn't really gotten a fair shot at being an RB2. I'd be more than comfortable with letting him and Todman share the RB2 load and not bringing in more than a 5th round or later flyer.

Could be misdirection from RR -- I hope so, and I'd be impressed if he was pulling that

Last edited:
Sauce? Not saying you're wrong, just would be interested in reading that

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/12841/panthers-still-want-to-use-the-two-back-system

Here's Rivera's comments from the league meetings. You kind of have to read into it a bit. He says they want to draft a RB and says he wants to give Stewart around 15 carries then 10 carries to "another back." Fozzy only gets a passing mention in addition to that rather than be included in the possibility of being the other guy. That leads me to believe they are planning to draft a RB in the first 3-4 rounds that will be the RB2 with Fozzy, Reaves and Todman battling it out for RB3.

Gettleman didn't say anything quite as specific. He just said they planned to address RB in the draft. He didn't go into personnel from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back