• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Freshmen

TwentyONE

Reaction score
I'm interested in what the consensus is regarding the ceiling of these freshmen. Lot of talk about Dinos lately. I see him as the best pro prospect on the team. That doesn't mean he will play in the NBA, but there is at least an outside shot to develop in to that type of talent. What about Crab and Mitch? I personally think people are sleeping on Crab's upside as an offensive player. Let's throw GMc in there as well.

What ceiling do you see for these players? Do we have eventual all-ACC type players? 6th men? What exactly do we have here:

Dinos
Mitch
Crab
GMc

Given the size of the league making an All-ACC team is not as easy as it used to be. Most likely outcome for all four is that they end up playing pro ball in Europe when their time at Wake is done. I wouldn't be shocked to see Crab and Dinos develop into potential NBA players, but I certainly wouldn't predict that for either of them at this point.

I'm interested in what the consensus is regarding the ceiling of these freshmen. Lot of talk about Dinos lately. I see him as the best pro prospect on the team. That doesn't mean he will play in the NBA, but there is at least an outside shot to develop in to that type of talent. What about Crab and Mitch? I personally think people are sleeping on Crab's upside as an offensive player. Let's throw GMc in there as well.

What ceiling do you see for these players? Do we have eventual all-ACC type players? 6th men? What exactly do we have here:

Dinos
Mitch
Crab
GMc

I think Dinos, Crab, and Mitch all could mature into high level ACC players. McClinton has shown a few flashes, but I think his ceiling is probably a good role player.

My thing with Dinos is that the things that are keeping him from being an all-ACC or an NBA prospect aren't going to change. He's not going to get much quicker or grow significantly more hops. Those things are keeping him from being even a decent defender.

I could see Crab developing into a 3 and D guy in the NBA. The drawback on him is his age and not knowing if he's closer to peaking than his freshman status would indicate. For someone more familiar, how does he compare to Tony Snell in college?

Crab is the best player out of the Frosh....if he can develop some handle, he could become a dangerous player for us in the coming years. Especially if we land some big talent players that will allow him to just be a shot maker. He locks up on the defensive end and I love his shot, deadly if he hits a couple early...

My thing with Dinos is that the things that are keeping him from being an all-ACC or an NBA prospect aren't going to change. He's not going to get much quicker or grow significantly more hops. Those things are keeping him from being even a decent defender.

I think he needs strength and good coaching more than anything to improve in those areas. I agree he isn't going to get much quicker or ever be able to jump out of the gym, but physically maturing, gaining strength and learning from DM could make quite a difference.

Crab has the highest ceiling and most diverse skill set. Mitch will be consistent player his entire career, will hit his shots that are created for him but never a superstar. I tend to think the same thing abt Dino's. Might get a better offensive game when he gets stronger and can bang down low but don't think he will be a superstar due to lack of athleticism.

FWIW DraftExpress updated their Frosh prospect rankings today and Dinos went from #77 to #36. Of course no other Wake frosh made top 90. Isaac Haas is #25, who if we had kept we probably wouldn't have Dinos.

Crab reminds me a lot of Josh Howard as a freshman. Roughly same frame and athleticism. Good body for a 2 or 3 in NBA.

I could see Crab developing into a 3 and D guy in the NBA. The drawback on him is his age and not knowing if he's closer to peaking than his freshman status would indicate. For someone more familiar, how does he compare to Tony Snell in college?

The age thing is a pretty big drawback. I doubt there have been more than a handful of examples of a 21 year old freshman with his production developing into anything close to an NBA caliber player.

James Johnson also turned 21 during his freshman year, but he was already producing at a very high level.

His freshman stats are pretty similar (Hudson has better per minute numbers but the analytics seem to slightly favor Snell). Snell was two years younger though

Back