• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Freshmen

Pretty sure that was because they had some other dude who liked having the ball in his hands, so did not utilize a traditional ballhandling PG.

Correct. This guy:

billwennington_FB-300x300.jpg

I think Dinos has the mosy=t valuable basketball skills and attributes but he is simultaneously the least athletic. He has some some very valuable assets, good outside shooting touch, quick release, holds the ball high, and pretty good height. Good positioning and better ball handling would really help him progress to the next level. He can also maybe ad a little height to his jump but he'll probably never be a quick jumper. But just the height, the shooting touch and the way he gets the ball off are all big pluses that make him valuable.

I'll take a stab at this... Though, full disclosure, I thought Cameron Stanley was going to be a special player for us.

Dinos: I think he'll gain some strength and expand his offensive game a bit, but defense will always be an issue. As long as he stays at Wake Forest, he'll play a ton of minutes because 6'10" shooters with a quick release are quite valuable in the college game... especially when they can rebound a bit. He'll always work better alongside someone who can do the dirty work (like Thomas and hopefully Collins/Moore). He's not an NBA player. I worry that he'll go back to Europe as soon as he figures this out.
Wake Forest Comp: Ricky Peral
Irrationally optimistic message board upside: Dirk Nowitzki

Wilbekin: I still love him, but I think I overrated his potential a few weeks ago. I don't know that he's ever going to be much more than a spot-up shooter and reliable ball-handler. He's Chase Fischer with better dribbling skills (***note: I really liked Chase Fischer). He does seem to play the game the right way (whatever the hell that means), and there have been plenty of very good college players with his skill set. Will be a very good 4 year player for us... starting a lot of games and perhaps coming off the bench as the 6th man if we upgrade our backcourt talent.
Wake Forest Comp: Taron Downey
Irrationally Optimistic message board upside: Scottie Wilbekin (perhaps not so irrational, but still)

Hudson: Love the way he plays... seems fearless and with a short memory. 3pt shooting has been a surprise (to me). Handles the ball well enough. If he can develop more of a slashing game, it would really help our offense. Active on the glass and defensive end. Unfortunately, because he is already 55 years old, he won't get any better. In fact, his peak physical years are probably in the past.
Wake Forest Comp: Harvey Hale (the best I could do... sorry)
Irrationally Optimistic message board upside: James Harden (I know, I know... he's left-handed... bad comp)

McClinton: I think I am still higher on him than most. With his size and athleticism, he should be able to get minutes. Love the way he crashes the offensive boards and can create his own shot (to a degree). With nothing to back this up, I'll say he makes the biggest leap of all 4 of these guys between this year and next.
Wake Forest Comp: Cameron Stanley (because I had a similar irrational man crush)
Irrationally Optimistic message board upside: KJ McDaniels

They'll develop much more than they would have under our previous coach. That's my bold prediction.

I'll take a stab at this... Though, full disclosure, I thought Cameron Stanley was going to be a special player for us.

Dinos: I think he'll gain some strength and expand his offensive game a bit, but defense will always be an issue. As long as he stays at Wake Forest, he'll play a ton of minutes because 6'10" shooters with a quick release are quite valuable in the college game... especially when they can rebound a bit. He'll always work better alongside someone who can do the dirty work (like Thomas and hopefully Collins/Moore). He's not an NBA player. I worry that he'll go back to Europe as soon as he figures this out.
Wake Forest Comp: Ricky Peral
Irrationally optimistic message board upside: Dirk Nowitzki

Wilbekin: I still love him, but I think I overrated his potential a few weeks ago. I don't know that he's ever going to be much more than a spot-up shooter and reliable ball-handler. He's Chase Fischer with better dribbling skills (***note: I really liked Chase Fischer). He does seem to play the game the right way (whatever the hell that means), and there have been plenty of very good college players with his skill set. Will be a very good 4 year player for us... starting a lot of games and perhaps coming off the bench as the 6th man if we upgrade our backcourt talent.
Wake Forest Comp: Taron Downey
Irrationally Optimistic message board upside: Scottie Wilbekin (perhaps not so irrational, but still)

Hudson: Love the way he plays... seems fearless and with a short memory. 3pt shooting has been a surprise (to me). Handles the ball well enough. If he can develop more of a slashing game, it would really help our offense. Active on the glass and defensive end. Unfortunately, because he is already 55 years old, he won't get any better. In fact, his peak physical years are probably in the past.
Wake Forest Comp: Harvey Hale (the best I could do... sorry)
Irrationally Optimistic message board upside: James Harden (I know, I know... he's left-handed... bad comp)

McClinton: I think I am still higher on him than most. With his size and athleticism, he should be able to get minutes. Love the way he crashes the offensive boards and can create his own shot (to a degree). With nothing to back this up, I'll say he makes the biggest leap of all 4 of these guys between this year and next.
Wake Forest Comp: Cameron Stanley (because I had a similar irrational man crush)
Irrationally Optimistic message board upside: KJ McDaniels

You lost me here

It is a very good sign that Dinos is coming up big in ACC games. Also, he is rebounding better but missing too many bunnies. Our schedule becomes almost impossible at this point. Some of our freshmen may sink while others swim.

Dinos is 6th in ACC games only in 3-point%. He is shooting .424. Good job!

You lost me here

Yeah, that was terrible. I couldn't think of any other Wake players that had a decent 3 point shot and Hudson's athleticism.
Dawson was less athletic and a better shooter.
LD was more athletic and a worse shooter.
Hale was smaller and probably not as good on offense.
I was mostly joking with that comp... who am I forgetting that would be better?

I have no idea who Mike Helms is/was. I only go back about 20 years of Wake hoops.

I have no idea who Mike Helms is/was. I only go back about 20 years of Wake hoops.

Mike Helms was a sharpshooting guard 1978-1982 from Virginia. His last two years the Deacs were pretty good, among Tacy's best teams. After Wake he was convicted of dealing coke and did time. Don't know what he's up to these days.

Yeah, that was terrible. I couldn't think of any other Wake players that had a decent 3 point shot and Hudson's athleticism.
Dawson was less athletic and a better shooter.
LD was more athletic and a worse shooter.
Hale was smaller and probably not as good on offense.
I was mostly joking with that comp... who am I forgetting that would be better?

Yeah, Crab is tough to compare to anyone. I'm having trouble myself - I didn't see Helms play, so it's hard for me to make that comparison. I think he's got tremendous upside, though, and am really excited about what lies ahead for him. As for Dinos - while he won't get faster or more athletic, he will get stronger, and that will only help his (already acceptable) rebounding and (not good at this point) finishing in the paint.

Back