• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Freshmen

I thought Matthew Broderick was surprisingly good in his role.

I am really intrigued with Dinos. As previously stated, he may not get a lot quicker but most of the guys that have gotten around him are wing players. His major problems are strength related(not winning fifty-fifty balls, getting pushed around underneath, and not finishing inside).I don't know how much strength training he has had, but a solid year or two in a good program should alleviate those problems. His perimeter game is good and with added strength I could see him as a stretch four at the next level.

not impressed with dinos' overall awareness either. he's one of the few guys on the team who isn't a good passer (prob the worst on the team) and physical limitations aside, doesn't always seem to be in the right place on d.

Hudson might be 21, but I doubt that he has spent much time in the weight room. He will get stronger and continue to get better.

Same with Dinos. He will get stronger which should help him with stick backs under that basket and rebounding/boxing out.

freshman.jpg

Dinos looks like he could play professionally...in Europe.

Which is not a bad deal if you get Italy or another nice area.

My rank order of potential
Dinos- IF he can learn to finish in the paint and effectively guard 4's, I wouldn't rule out any level of pro play. Making basically 50% of his last 50 3 pointers. 3rd biggest contributor for our team right now. Always room on rosters for 6-10 shooters.
Hudson- pro potential? No way. Solid ACC player? definitely. He handles the ball pretty well and isn't afraid on the court. Efficiency needs help. Defense looking stout at times. Gotta consider this is a Soph/Jr year though.
Mitch- Solid player. Will always be limited by his size and difficulty creating his own shot in terms of pro potential.
McClinton- looking forward to seeing more from him. I wasn't so high on him initially but his offensive game and rebounding are coming on.

That is some harsh shit to leave Rondale off the list.

Wilbekin, Dinos, and Crab should be nice ACC role players, most likely off the bench for a Top 25 team. Any of the three could start as a #4 or #5 option in the right lineup. McClinton probably wouldn't play much down the road if the 2015 class is very productive and the 2016 class is strong.

If we are downplaying Hudson's potential due to age, then it is worth noting that both McClinton and Wilbekin are 20 year old freshmen.

How can you limit a player's development due to age? Nutrition and an emphasis on weight training make an impact whether one is 18, 21 or 49.

I think Hudson has a higher ceiling than Mitoglou. The lack of Athleticism/defense is something that can be hard to overcome. If Hudson can develop a slashing type of game then he would be a real threat.

I think Dinos has the greatest potential. Coaching cannot create a 6'10 guy who can shoot 40%+ from 3. But, he must develop a move to get past big men who try to guard him on the perimeter. He must also become stronger, much stronger. His inability to finish around the basket is due, I think, to weakness. Defensively, well wherever he played before they apparently did not play D. He is so far behind in understanding where to be and how to guard. His lack of quickness could be a function of not knowing, hopefully. Dinos provides DM an opportunity to demonstrate what he can do with big men.

Wilbekin, Dinos, and Crab should be nice ACC role players, most likely off the bench for a Top 25 team. Any of the three could start as a #4 or #5 option in the right lineup. McClinton probably wouldn't play much down the road if the 2015 class is very productive and the 2016 class is strong.

This, because for now they all have huge holes in their games. Wilbekin's is the toughest, since he'll always be limited physically but he's an ideal backup point guard for a legit ACC team. Crab is way behind the curve handling the ball - and for the NBA his age does matter. Joke about NBA defense all you want, but he'd get destroyed by any moderate defender in the league. Dinos has the most potential, but he has a long way to go before he develops the kind of strength and court awareness he'd need to stay in the U.S. His build and his reluctance to play inside just screams Euro ball.

Crab reminds me a lot of Josh Howard as a freshman. Roughly same frame and athleticism. Good body for a 2 or 3 in NBA.

This way undersells Josh Howard. That guy was the best athlete on Wake's team from the moment he set foot on Wake's campus, and remained so until the day he graduated.

Hudson is a nice player as a freshman. He could, conceivably, develop into a guy who scores 13-15 points per game in a couple of years. But he is average athletically. That is what will keep him out of the NBA.

All I have to say is Rusty LaRue and Ish Smith. Did anybody think Rusty would wind up getting an NBA pension? People spent 3 years trashing Ish's game. The key for both of them is they did do one thing really well.

A lot can change in 3 years for these guys.

All I have to say is Rusty LaRue and Ish Smith. Did anybody think Rusty would wind up getting an NBA pension? People spent 3 years trashing Ish's game. The key for both of them is they did do one thing really well.

A lot can change in 3 years for these guys.

Elite speed and elite shooting ability do not magically appear.

Back