• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TIGER IS BACK!!!

rory is meaningless compared to tiger in terms of displayed talent and actual wins

How many majors has Tiger won since Rory turned pro? How many has Rory won? Tiger would kill for Rory's record since he turned pro.

Actually, those two points are related. 1st place in that tournament was roughly a million dollars. As Mahan was leading by two shots after 36-holes, he had a reasonably good chance to win that million dollars. By withdrawing, he was basically flaunting his wealth by saying "I don't need this million dollars. I'm splitting." And that's OK, I suppose. A person has a right to flaunt his wealth if that's what he wants to do. However, it had to be one or the other: either Mahan needed the million dollars or he didn't need the million dollars. If he did need it, he should have stayed there and finished the tournament....and if he didn't need the money, considering the situation and his stated position that he was going to be with his wife at childbirth...he should never have entered the tournament in the first place, because, obviously, there was a chance that the child could be born during that tournament. A 100% chance, as it turned out. And if Mahan didn't need the money and wanted to be with his wife at childbirth, another player who did need the money would have had a chance to play for it.

And once again, none of this has anything to do with what kind of family men that Jack Nicklaus & Tiger Woods are.....which was part of my original post on this thread.

hmm

Golf is an individual sport. It's not like he unexpectedly resigned as coach from his 12-8 team with 10 games left in the season like Bob Knight did in 2008.

RacerDeac said:
Conveniently, he left after he got his 900th win, but before what looked like a losing season could be added to his career record. That's class, OWG style.

and if he didn't need the money, considering the situation and his stated position that he was going to be with his wife at childbirth...he should never have entered the tournament in the first place, because, obviously, there was a chance that the child could be born during that tournament. A 100% chance, as it turned out.

There's a chance a family member could die every second of every day. So, taking your illogically perverse logic to it's end, no one should ever enter a golf tournament unless all of their immediate family is already dead. And yet you stated that the death of a family member is a valid reason for withdrawing mid tournament. Does not compute.

Do you seriously think Tiger's record is better than Rory's since he turned pro? Hell you and I have won the same number of majors as Tiger since PED testing.

no, i agree his record is worse since PED testing. that doesn't mean rory will ever matter as much as Tiger in the world of golf.

no, i agree his record is worse since PED testing. that doesn't mean rory will ever matter as much as Tiger in the world of golf.

I think Rory is going to get his personal issues cleared up and go back into beast mode. Rory doesn't have the marketability of Tiger because he's a white dude from Northern Ireland but Rory has all the talent in the world. He's also not a sociopath. Tiger won't win again this year and Rory will win the PGA and a FEDEX cup event then win 2 majors next year. Mark it down

golf is yet another arena of american life where whites just don't get a fair shake

I think Rory is going to get his personal issues cleared up and go back into beast mode. Rory doesn't have the marketability of Tiger because he's a white dude from Northern Ireland but Rory has all the talent in the world. He's also not a sociopath. Tiger won't win again this year and Rory will win the PGA and a FEDEX cup event then win 2 majors next year. Mark it down

and he'll just be another boring white dude in a long line of meaningless boring white dudes on the tour, except he has an irish accent.

and he'll just be another boring white dude in a long line of meaningless boring white dudes on the tour, except he has an irish accent.

Ha, come on...Rory is fun as hell to watch. Dude goes after every pin and bombs it. When he's feeling it he's completely unstoppable. He's curb stomped Tiger a few times.

How many majors has Tiger won since Rory turned pro? How many has Rory won? Tiger would kill for Rory's record since he turned pro.

They've both won 2 majors since Rory turned pro in 2007. Tiger has also won 17 other PGA Tour events and earned 43.5 million dollars in that time frame despite missing basically two plus years of competition.

Rory won 4 other PGA tour events and 4 European tour events and earned 31.7 million dollars combined on both tours.

What result exactly is Tiger dying to trade for?

Actually, those two points are related. 1st place in that tournament was roughly a million dollars. As Mahan was leading by two shots after 36-holes, he had a reasonably good chance to win that million dollars. By withdrawing, he was basically flaunting his wealth by saying "I don't need this million dollars. I'm splitting." And that's OK, I suppose. A person has a right to flaunt his wealth if that's what he wants to do. However, it had to be one or the other: either Mahan needed the million dollars or he didn't need the million dollars. If he did need it, he should have stayed there and finished the tournament....and if he didn't need the money, considering the situation and his stated position that he was going to be with his wife at childbirth...he should never have entered the tournament in the first place, because, obviously, there was a chance that the child could be born during that tournament. A 100% chance, as it turned out. And if Mahan didn't need the money and wanted to be with his wife at childbirth, another player who did need the money would have had a chance to play for it.

And once again, none of this has anything to do with what kind of family men that Jack Nicklaus & Tiger Woods are.....which was part of my original post on this thread.

Also, in the other part of my post which referred to the golf records of Tiger & Jack, I mentioned the very relevant fact that Nicklaus has 45 top-3 finishes in the majors, while Tiger only has 24 top-3 finishes in majors. In 55 posts since then, not one person has even commented on that fact. They've been busy talking about Bob Knight & Hunter Mahan.

FLAUNT HIS WEALTH??!! WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? HE EARNED THE RIGHT TO ENTER (AND THEN LEAVE THE TOURNEY WHEN HE SAW FIT) BASED ON HIS STELLAR PLAY OVER THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS!!

The RBC Canadian Open didn't need another also-ran stiff who would've missed the cut anyway. Who exactly got the shaft? Some journeyman on the web.com Tour? A Canadian Tour player who failed to qualify on the merits? I bet if you polled any of those guys, they would not have had any objection with Hunter playing in and elevating the cachet of their underrated, somewhat unappreciated national championship tourney. For Joe Schmo Saskatchewan to win his national open with the likes of Hunter Mahan and other PGA Tour luminaries in the field makes the accomplishment a helluva lot more prestigious than otherwise. Not to mention a Canadian hasn't won that tourney in what, 50 years? They obviously deserve more spots for sucking at golf relative to the US for years and years and years. Your whole argument is bunk. Just give it up.

They've both won 2 majors since Rory turned pro in 2007. Tiger has also won 17 other PGA Tour events and earned 43.5 million dollars in that time frame despite missing basically two plus years of competition.

Rory won 4 other PGA tour events and 4 European tour events and earned 31.7 million dollars combined on both tours.

What result exactly is Tiger dying to trade for?

Which majors did Rory play in as a pro that Tiger won exactly? Also, don't you think it's curious that Tiger's "injury" post Torrey coincided with the PGA tour drug testing? #cleanblood

Which majors did Rory play in as a pro that Tiger won exactly? Also, don't you think it's curious that Tiger's "injury" post Torrey coincided with the PGA tour drug testing? #cleanblood

Oooo, seriously #HOTTAKE there calling out Tiger for drugs.

I don't reckon steroids would help anyone make more clutch putts than any player in the history of golf in a 10-12 year span. I'm not a Tiger fan but it's not fair to accuse him of drug use when he was, by all accounts, a gym rat, running fiend and workout animal (the mother used to train with the Navy Seals for FUN!!). But even if players did use performing enhancing drugs, it's not like using would really help your eye to hand or touch around the greens. In baseball, it accounted for more home runs and longer careers. In golf, you may get a longer career, but the level of athlete playing is so much better now thanks to Tiger transforming the game, it is much harder to win on a regular basis than it used to be.

At any rate, the fact that Tiger hasn't won a major between the ages of 33 and 39 is more shocking to me than him winning 12 in 10 years (through the '06 PGA at Medinah).

Oooo, seriously #HOTTAKE there calling out Tiger for drugs.

I don't reckon steroids would help anyone make more clutch putts than any player in the history of golf in a 10-12 year span. I'm not a Tiger fan but it's not fair to accuse him of drug use when he was, by all accounts, a gym rat, running fiend and workout animal (the mother used to train with the Navy Seals for FUN!!). But even if players did use performing enhancing drugs, it's not like using would really help your eye to hand or touch around the greens. In baseball, it accounted for more home runs and longer careers. In golf, you may get a longer career, but the level of athlete playing is so much better now thanks to Tiger transforming the game, it is much harder to win on a regular basis than it used to be.

At any rate, the fact that Tiger hasn't won a major between the ages of 33 and 39 is more shocking to me than him winning 12 in 10 years (through the '06 PGA at Medinah).

Majors are more physically taxing. PEDs allowed TIger to feel like he was a superior athlete and that extra confidence was the difference between winning and being an also ran. Tiger has had a number of major weekends where he was worn out and melted down on the weekend. Tiger has show that he is a sociopath and a cheater in every aspect of his life. Why does anyone believe he wasn't taking PEDs?

I gave you the results since 2007, the year Rory turned pro. If you are going to rub your foreskin off about how awesome Rory is and how Tiger would kill to have Rory's results since Rory turned pro, back up your numbers.

Would Tiger like to have those two majors Rory won? Absolutely. He would like to have Bubba's two Masters as well. He would also like to have Phil's Masters and Open Chamionship wins. All that proves is that at this point in his career he is competing against history.

But if you are insistent on comparing them, let's compare apples to apples.

Rory is 25 and has 12 professional wins, two of them being majors. 6 of his professional wins have been on the European or Asian tour.

At 25 Tiger had won 29 PGA tour events, 6 of them majors.

I'm not even a huge Tiger fan, but your insistence on matching Rory's record against Tiger's makes you look like a jackass.

Back