• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2015/16 Premier League Thread (NWT)

What are people's thoughts on Newcastle or Villa?

Well these two have been in relegation battles in the past couple of seasons so if you don't like those you might want to pursue other options.
Although if you go Villa you can have USA's next top GK on your side...

What are people's thoughts on Newcastle or Villa?

I recently decided that Newcastle is going to be my squad. Kind of like you, I wanted to pick a team outside of the favorites where if a trophy was ever won it would be a big deal to me because I'll still watch the favorites since the best teams are going to be entertaining no matter what. I liked that Newcastle was a well supported northern team and had a decent history of competing in recent seasons. Since that decision I've gotten more ingrained in the club's daily goings on and I've learned a lot about the ownership and manager situation which I've liked that the supporters are demanding better than what's currently being done but it also makes me worried about the future. I'm going to see how it goes, I don't think they'll get relegated but the way that everyone talks about the situation is that the club is screwed if we don't get rid of Pardew and Ashley.

Well these two have been in relegation battles in the past couple of seasons so if you don't like those you might want to pursue other options.
Although if you go Villa you can have USA's next top GK on your side...

Villa is England's second city, so it has the advantage of being a big city club with lots of history (should you wish to support a non-London side). Plus, Villa Park is awesome.

Southampton is who I would recommend to any newcomers. Best academy in the league, greay stadium and supporters, great owners and front office. Always competitive though not for the title necessarily. They played the most attractive style of anybody in the league last year.

Southampton is who I would recommend to any newcomers. Best academy in the league, greay stadium and supporters, great owners and front office. Always competitive though not for the title necessarily. They played the most attractive style of anybody in the league last year.

That is a very convincing argument. I loved watching them last year I was just worried that losing lallana would be big.

Were I picking a team I would go Totty. Good squad, good supporters, building a new park. If you want a team that's not a front runner but with hopes of real success it's Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal or Tottenham. You ruled out Liverpool and we have enough fans of the other two.

Question for all you folks that follow the EPL, I have been following pretty religiously for the better of the decade without ever declaring my allegiance to any one team. Instead I just had a few players I enjoyed watching. The time has come for me to decide on a squad.

So my question for you all, who should I follow? In order to make this as unbiased as possible it would be a great for people to make a case for a team other than their own. (like dv7 is there a second team you enjoy besides the reds and why?) The only team I refuse to follow is Liverpool for various reasons.

I have a soft spot for Aston Villa, Everton, Southampton, and recently...Swansea.

Swansea has been my defacto team for the last few seasons. I liked Michu because he and I have similar playstyles. I like Bony too. Do they have any chance for sustained success? I would rather not follow someone that could be relegated in the next few years (nearly impossible to watch their games).

Same thing with Southampton, didnt they get gutted this past season with Lambert and Llalana leaving?

Michu is about to leave for Napoli and Bony is probably headed out of Swansea as well, but that is less certain right now.

Well that and they're a bunch of MURDERERS. Amirite DV7?

Let's ask Juventus supporters about their feelings on this subject...

Heysel.jpg

Harsh!

I recently decided that Newcastle is going to be my squad. Kind of like you, I wanted to pick a team outside of the favorites where if a trophy was ever won it would be a big deal to me .

keeganrant_450x300.jpg

Sorry, not sorry about that, Newcastle.

And they just brought in a top, top manager in Koeman (even tho he hates LvGs guts.)

That is a very convincing argument. I loved watching them last year I was just worried that losing lallana would be big.

The player they brought in to replace Lallana is even better. Dusan Tadic.

Southhampton might be back in a relegation battle in a few years too -- they haven't been a consistent member of the top flight in more than ten years (including a couple of years in League One, if I recall correctly).

SO MUCH MONEY

Manchester United @ManUtd · 5m

Manchester United plc has reached a 10-year agreement with adidas, beginning 2015/16. More: http://bddy.me/1qXT6sJ

[h=1]Manchester United plc reaches agreement with adidas[/h] [h=2]Manchester United plc (NYSE:MANU) has reached a ten-year agreement with adidas for a global technical sponsorship and dual branded licensing deal for a minimum guarantee of GBP 750 million, subject to certain adjustments, beginning with the 2015/2016 campaign.[/h]For the 2014/2015 season, Nike will continue in its role of technical sponsor and trademark licensee.

Last edited:
To put that kit deal into perspective...

Forbes currently lists Liverpool Football Club's entire value at 456 mil GBP.

Villa is England's second city, so it has the advantage of being a big city club with lots of history (should you wish to support a non-London side). Plus, Villa Park is awesome.

Ummm....what? You are aware that there's no such city as "Villa," right?

Aston Villa is in BIRMINGHAM. It's a depressing, coal dust coated steel town.

I went there back in '01 to visit a record store (took trains from Oxford) and was ready to get the heck out of there the second my business was complete. Scary, dark, depressing. Think Pittsburgh, but older, dirtier, and a whole lot scarier.

Ummm....what? You are aware that there's no such city as "Villa," right?

Aston Villa is in BIRMINGHAM. It's a depressing, coal dust coated steel town.

I went there back in '01 to visit a record store (took trains from Oxford) and was ready to get the heck out of there the second my business was complete. Scary, dark, depressing. Think Pittsburgh, but older, dirtier, and a whole lot scarier.

You're aware that I forgot the "in" before "England's," right? That typos on phones are commonplace? I guess not.

I've been to Villa Park, which is a fantastic stadium. Didn't spend any real time in Birmingham, but my point was that it's England's second biggest city. England has plenty of depressing towns, by the way.

the case for proofreading/avoiding phone typos.

Jeez.

Anyway, Birmingham is England's second biggest city. Notice that I didn't capitalize (sorry, capitalise) "Second City." Carry on.

Manchester United vs Swansea has been chosen to be the first match of the new Premier League season given the 1245 (745AM EST) time slot on Saturday, August 16

Manchester United vs Swansea has been chosen to be the first match of the new Premier League season given the 1245 (745AM EST) time slot on Saturday, August 16

World Cup years are just brutal on these players...well, for any that aren't English, of course, and haven't had an extended Three Lions WC break :thumbsup:

adidas deal + TV picks (United on TV 10 of first 12 PL matches) underline that Manchester United commercial pull unaffected by dismal dalliance with Moyes.

Not bad for a mid-table club

Back