• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

I know they pointed out the communication protocol today, but Clattenburg said that Webb introduced that this past offseason, I believe — had the head of rugby refs come in and train them on it.

Well, they brought in a guy who was a rugby ref “to improve communication,” but who knows what that means. I believe rugby uses “closed loop” or whatever.

“The PGMOL brought in Phil Bentham last year to improve communications between the match officials because of his background in rugby league.

As a former TMO his every word was broadcast live, and Howard Webb has been striving for his Premier League officials to make their messages clear and concise.”

Last edited:
My opinion on offsides is that the advantage should go to the attacker. If a player's body is clearly visually beyond the bodies of the defenders when the ball is played, fine, call it back. If it's tight, let it go.

Soccer, like hockey (and other low-scoring sports), comes down to a few extremely influential events per game. We should do whatever possible to keep our grubby fingers off those events unless literal cheating occurred.
Wenger has been a big proponent of this from his new FIFA position (or some version of it), I think it only makes sense that if an attacker and defender are even in all but maybe half a limb or some phalanges then it should be onside.

It is interesting how serious of a problem this becomes when Liverpool gets screwed. The sky certainly wasn't falling when Arsenal was on the short end of a PGMOL mistake.
oh settle down arsenal whiner

Wenger has been a big proponent of this from his new FIFA position (or some version of it), I think it only makes sense that if an attacker and defender are even in all but maybe half a limb or some phalanges then it should be onside.
Just base the rule on where the feet of the players are located. This whole notion of one guy’s shoulder is ahead of another’s is silly. The defenders are playing a trap often. Base the rule on where the players’ feet are positioned.

Saw a blurb somewhere that last year no team benefits more from VAR decisions than Liverpool. So there’s that to consider when discussing whether officials must have it in for them.
Benefitted the second most and 90% of them were "yeah, that was obviously not a goal". Liverpool did have at least two last year where I thought "hmmmm ok, we take those".

It is interesting how serious of a problem this becomes when Liverpool gets screwed. The sky certainly wasn't falling when Arsenal was on the short end of a PGMOL mistake.
I think it’s less that it’s Liverpool and more that the Diaz goal was the straw so to speak. There has been anger and clamoring over var in England for years and missed calls. This Season has been worse across the board. Just ask arsenal, wolves, etc. heck, sky and espn both have “var review” segments on their sites every week analyzing the failures.

if it was working, I doubt they would be highlighting the process.

Fortunately Gakpo is looking like he might be back post-international break after this HORROR challenge that I will put here in freeze frame, so you see all you need to see about it. Knee contacting with standing leg, bending the ankle and twisting the knee after a full sprint and lunge. Pretty ugly. Maybe some retroactive punishment, PGMOL???

1696339562806.png

You all aren’t ready for the conspiracy tweets from deep in Arsenal twitter this weekend. Oliver announced as the official for Arsenal/City a couple weeks after taking huge money to officiate one game in the UAE.

Oliver was also on VAR last weekend for the Forest/Brentford match and missed that Wissa/Turner incident (with Tierney as the ref, that troll fuck). That's bad. Should have been stood down. England and Cook both were in UAE on Thursday before Saturday's Spurs/Liverpool.

No reason to even allow for the possible appearance of impropriety with those trips, it's crazy, much less give these guys big matches so soon after. Much different than reffing Champs/Europa/Conference.

It could all be on the up and up and it's still just not a great look.

I just don't think they care.

Last edited:
Apparently these guys have been doing this moonlighting thing for a while, too. Michael Oliver, Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett and Darren England officiated a Saudi Pro League game in April -- no idea what assignments they got next, but would be interested to see when their next matches were, how much rest they got, and who the clubs involved.

I think off-season stuff like Madley going to Japan in June should be fine, I guess? But UAE/Saudi in the middle of the week during the season? Just weird.

It wouldn't be a huge issue except for the glaring fact that Newcastle and City are owned by Saudi Arabia and the UAE, respectively. If Boehly or Kroenke were having referees fly out to LA to officiate a local game in the middle of the week, sure it may be innocuous but it looks horrible. As if the PGMOL needed even worse PR issues to deal with than the ones they create for themselves each weekend.

better analogy would be if Kroenke flew out premier league refs to assist with a Colorado Rapids practice (another team he owns).

This has been a very common reaction online which I guess is predictable. It's a garbage point imo. Every team gets screwed from time to time. Liverpool lost the league by a singular point twice in recent years and could point to a terrible call or two as the difference. Anyone remember Harry Kane's studs up tackle on Robertson two years ago where he wasn't sent off in what was a more dangerous tackle than Curtis Jones' tackle this past weekend? The thing is, those are subjective calls and every team gets punished by them. Liverpool lost the league both years because City was one point better.

This is instance is different because there's no subjectivity to the decision. It's just rank incompetence at a level that is shocking given that we're talking about the wealthiest league in the world. There should be an outcry and it should be uniform from all teams. The league deserves a higher level from the people paid to enforce the rules of the game and that's something that benefits everyone, not just Liverpool.

Saw a blurb somewhere that last year no team benefits more from VAR decisions than Liverpool. So there’s that to consider when discussing whether officials must have it in for them.
I don't think refs have it out for Liverpool, but this argument is kind of backwards. If VAR has to fix errors for Liverpool more than other teams, that suggests that on field refs screw up with respect to Liverpool more often than they do for others. I personally don't believe there's bias on either end.

This is instance is different because there's no subjectivity to the decision. It's just rank incompetence at a level that is shocking given that we're talking about the wealthiest league in the world. There should be an outcry and it should be uniform from all teams. The league deserves a higher level from the people paid to enforce the rules of the game and that's something that benefits everyone, not just Liverpool.
I'm 100% on board with this

The level of refereeing in the Premier League is simply unacceptable. I'm old enough to remember when the refs said that they needed to be paid as full-time employees to not make mistakes. How'd that end up working out?

I don't think refs have it out for Liverpool, but this argument is kind of backwards. If VAR has to fix errors for Liverpool more than other teams, that suggests that on field refs screw up with respect to Liverpool more often than they do for others. I personally don't believe there's bias on either end.
Or that the VAR guys decide to help them more than others.

Back