• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial Soccer Transfer Thread (NWT)

Seems like a done deal.

How many Dortmund players you think you'll end up getting dv?

I suspect just Kagawa. I don't want Lewandowski and while Hummels or Subotic would be fantastic, I don't see Fergie buying a CB this summer. I don't think Gotze goes anywhere this summer.

What the hell.......this thread is only to be started by Demon09......

I suspect just Kagawa. I don't want Lewandowski and while Hummels or Subotic would be fantastic, I don't see Fergie buying a CB this summer. I don't think Gotze goes anywhere this summer.

I think Gotze could move. Obviously it'd take serious cash, but I think he's just over 50% to leave.

Hamburg have officially signed Rene Adler 'till 2017 on a free transfer from Bayer Leverkusen

As for your 2nd point... Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Sunderland, Aston Villa, Tottenham and Stoke have all spent more on net spending on average per season since 2006 than Manchester United. Spend spend spend? Again you are showing some major ignorance about what you speak.

Only idiots or people trying to use statistics to lie and make a point that doesn't exist use "net transfer spend" while ignoring wages.

Manchester United spends an absurd amount of money on players. So does Arsenal. Saying anything otherwise is just stupid (especially comparing to clubs like Tottenham, let alone Stoke or Villa).

Only idiots or people trying to use statistics to lie and make a point that doesn't exist use "net transfer spend" while ignoring wages.

Manchester United spends an absurd amount of money on players'. So does Arsenal. Saying anything otherwise is just stupid (especially comparing to clubs like Tottenham, let alone Stoke or Villa).

Yes, poor poor Tottenham have only spent 291.2 million on players transfer fees since 2004. Big spenders Arsenal have spent 169.7 million on transfer fees in the same time period. A difference of over 15 million pounds/year.

Do you think Arsenal's wage bill has been 15 millions pounds/year higher than Tottenham's?

------

For the record, Man United spent 263.9 million on transfer fees since 2004. An average of 3.41 million less per season than Tottenham. Wages for United probably total that amount or a bit more over Tottenham, however.

Last edited:
Should we start a new thread to track Robinho's summer status, or is this thread sufficient? Robinho to Arsenal!

LONDON -- Manchester United's cash reserves have been halved in three months, the cost of exiting Europe early, wage increases and Old Trafford's redevelopment.

Quarterly accounts show they dropped from $80 million at the end of 2011 to $41 million by March 31. The figure had stood at $238 million at the end of 2010.

United was deposed as Premier League champion by Manchester City on Sunday and eliminated from the lucrative Champions League at the group stage.

But United remains English soccer's biggest moneymaker, with commercial revenue rising 15 percent to $43.4 million year-on-year. Wages rose 9 percent year-on-year to $178 million.

Debt dropped to $673.8 million.

Anyone know what it was previously?

The debt is actually up since the last numbers were released, but down from 2 years ago still. It was over 700 million in 2010. This is why they are so desperate to do the IPO in the Asian markets.

The cash on hand at United, while comparatively low now, should increase as we get thru the summer with TV money, season ticket sales, tour revenue, etc. etc. The club is, however, still riddled by debt that the fuckbag Glazers have put on it and I wonder how much they will want to spend this summer as a result of the IPO upcoming. The more they spend, the less the profit margin will be, so the less they could ask for in the open markets.

Do you think Arsenal's wage bill has been 15 millions pounds/year higher than Tottenham's?

Arsenal's wage bill in 2011 was 124m GBP. Tottenham's was 91m GBP.

SO YES I THINK THAT BECAUSE I CAN USE THE INTERNET AND LOOK THINGS UP.

33m GBP >>>>> 15m GBP for those who aren't good at math.

United spent 132m GBP for those who care.

For the record, Man United spent 263.9 million on transfer fees since 2004. An average of 3.41 million less per season than Tottenham. Wages for United probably total that amount or a bit more over Tottenham, however.

Since 2004 Man United has spent on average around 35m GBP more per season on wages than Tottenham. I don't think that falls in the "a bit more" qualification.

Where did you find the 2011 wage bills? I have only seen them up to 2010.

Where did you find the 2011 wage bills? I have only seen them up to 2010.

Swiss Ramble ... should be your first stop for all footy finance questions, ALWAYS.

Here's Tottenham, for example:

3%2BTottenham%2BProfit.jpg

Here's United (and whoa, I had 2010 figures for wages. Look at 2011! ... 60m GBP more than Spurs, 30m GBP more than Arsenal).

2%2BUnited%2BProfit.jpg

Spurs total expenses were HALF of what United or City ran up (and United and City spent, in total, almost exactly the same amount in 2011 ... some of that being debt servicing on United's side, etc, etc).

What Tottenham has done while spending a small fraction of the other 4 clubs who have finished in the top 5 the last 3 seasons is pretty remarkable. Arsenal has really underachieved given the money that has been spent and/or is available (the wage bill for the quality of players has been stupidly high, for example). City, United and Chelsea have done pretty much what you'd expect of them.

How in the fuck did our wages go up so much this season?

Neville, O'Shea, Brown, VDS, Obertan -- all off the books. Scholes, Diouf and Gibson off the books for 1/2 the season each.

Young, de Gea and Jones brought in and Rooney got the upgraded contract in the middle of last season, so add that in as extra as well.

I just don't see how that means we spent more on wages this season than last. That's amazing if true.

Spurs total expenses were HALF of what United or City ran up (and United and City spent, in total, almost exactly the same amount in 2011 ... some of that being debt servicing on United's side, etc, etc).

What Tottenham has done while spending a small fraction of the other 4 clubs who have finished in the top 5 the last 3 seasons is pretty remarkable. Arsenal has really underachieved given the money that has been spent and/or is available (the wage bill for the quality of players has been stupidly high, for example). City, United and Chelsea have done pretty much what you'd expect of them.

Using money that United has paid to service that debt as a like for like comparison to what other clubs using money to actually improve their teams is a bit disingenuous, don't you think?

Back