• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake to keep [Redacted] according to John Feinstein sources

Posted by Andy Durham on March 18, 2014 at 11:14 am under College | 3 Comments to Read

Wake Forest Basketball/Winston-Salem Press Conference Update

Looks like anything that was going to happen today(Tuesday) will be postponed due to the weather and Ron Wellman extending his NCAA visits out of town at the NCAA game city sites…(Wellman NCAA Tournament Chairman)

They may need more time to figure out how they want to approach this…

Some sort of basketball wisdom tells you that Jeff [Redacted] has to resign to save some face for AD Ron Wellman, the man who went out on a limb and hired [Redacted] in the first place…

They have a very good friendship from over the years and if [Redacted] resigns/steps down, then that takes some of the pressure off of Wellman, who in turn does not have to fire his friend….

Everything that was to be, is postponed for today(Tuesday) with the weather and the overall travel conditions….Wake will try to get all of their plans together and when we get more, we will pass it on…

I don’t think this is a resignation ruse, it really is not a matter of if, but when all of this will take place….Really, it has to happen…

If Ron Wellman has to step up and fire Jeff [Redacted] and push his friend out, it will not be pretty…

The move to make is for Jeff [Redacted] to step down and do it in such a way that it does not hurt Wake Forest, or their future basketball plans and so that it keeps their leader, Ron Wellman in place until he is ready to move on too….

"They may need more time to figure out how they want to approach this"

Seriously? They've had an entire season to plan for this. If they didn't see it coming then they also had a 7 game losing streak in February with losses in 9 of the last 11 games to plan it. They've had 6 complete days since the last game of the season to plan it.

What exactly needs to be planned? This isn't rocket science. Auburn did it. VaTech did it. Boston College did it.

Write a simple two paragraph statement to the AP and get on with it. This can be done from Dayton or Winston-Salem and has absolutely nothing to do with the weather.

according to D Glenn show, Feinstein stands by report that Bzz is IN and 2 assts are out but the official report will not be out until Wed or Thur

Can you imagine the anger, derision and sheer disgust within the Wake fan base if Wellman were to scapegoat two WFU "legends" this way to help his buddy save face??

Oh wait, yes you can, this is the OGBoards were talking about!

As much fun as it would be to see some of the creative unleashing of frustration and disillusionment on this board as well as local billboards and newspapers, this cannot happen. It. Must. Not.

Wonder if it's possible Feinstein ran into Chairman Ron in Dayton, asked about Buzzdick, and Chairman Ron responded that he wasn't "firing" Buzzdick just to troll us. We go nuts for a few days, and Chairman Ron accepts Buzzdick's resignation early next week. FWIW, I don't think Feinstein would intentionally troll us.

I see this as a possibility, particularly given the "friend of the show" comment. The only question was whether RW crossed his fingers when he said this, or did he use air quotes while saying fire.

Guys, you might not care, but Wellman has OBLIGATIONS. You can't just expect the dude to operate on your time frame or even the time frame that makes the most sense for Wake Forest. There are better basketball programs to reward with postseason berths. Television appearances to make. Games to watch while sitting on press row and not really doing anything other than sitting there just in case some old lady slips and falls by the restroom or the concession stands aren't operating swiftly enough or one of the referees gets diarrhea before the game and needs to be replaced with an alternate referee. These things are important and they take precedence. If it means our entire fan base is further demoralized and left wondering why they would ever financially support such an incompetent administration, so be it. If it means other schools, even those that are direct competitors to Wake Forest, develop an advantage by having a head start on their coaching searches, c'est la vie. That's life.

The handling of this situation is example 5,290,201 of why Ron Wellman could not be successful outside of his current environment.

I just ... I have nothing to say. I hate my alma mater. I hate Ron Wellman. Fuck.

It's going to be really funny when Feinstein's "report" turns out to be completely misleading (if not flat-out wrong) and he slips even further into sports irrelevance.

Yeah, this cocksucker Wellman needs to remember who writes his checks and where his primary responsibility lies. Fuck Dayton and the NCAA tournament. Get your goddamn self on the phone to your assistant and issue a release on [Redacted] now. It's not enough that you've pissed away the alumni's money over the past 4 years while destroying the program, but now you've got the entire fanbase up in arms as to what is going on. Do your fucking job for the people who pay you to do it, bastard.

he is too arrogant to care

he already resigned, was told to finish last couple games, will announce publicly in a couple days

If he wants to get rid of Bz all he has to do is put out a press release thanking him for all he's done- that could have been done days ago. But if he's bringing back Bz he needs to be in town for the dog and pony show.

wake-forest-n-c-state.jpg

Has Baby chummed in since this has all come out? I am thinking of starting a call out thread...why not?

As a lawyer, would not be shocked if lawyers are causing the delay (that's what lawyers excel at doing). There is substantial money at stake, and would guess that WF's remaining financial obligations to Bz will depend on exactly how this goes down. Would guess that Bz' lawyer is making sure that he gets paid every penny of his remaining year or his buy-out.

Feinstein is a reliable source, but I will not believe that Bz is returning until either: a) formal press conference announcing that; b) a written statement from WF.

Back