• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wallace Wade is just painful to watch...

the funny thing is if duke had wakes record over the past 8 years the stadium would overflow.

My first trip to Wallace Wade yesterday since I was a kid. Looked like lots of folks heading into the Stadium prior to kickoff, then we get in there and it is half empty. Not unexpected.

What was unexpected came a few minutes later. I had general admission seats, but walked down to the corner where the Wake fans were. Plenty of empty seats down there, and I figured it would be better to be with fellow Deacons. Get to the top of the section to walk in, and the usher asks to see my tickets, and then wouldn't let me go into the section. Couldn't believe it.

Even better was when we walked back to the general admission area, the usher checked our tickets there as well. To get into GENERAL ADMISSION. 15,000 people in a 34,000 seat stadium, and they are checking ticket stubs. Unbelieveable. If I hadn't been carrying a three year old, I'd have just seat hopped my way over to the Wake section, but under the circumstances it wasn't worth it.

It was a beautiful weekend at the beach. I'm sure many Duke alumni took advantage of it. Can't say that I blame them.

My first trip to Wallace Wade yesterday since I was a kid. Looked like lots of folks heading into the Stadium prior to kickoff, then we get in there and it is half empty. Not unexpected.

What was unexpected came a few minutes later. I had general admission seats, but walked down to the corner where the Wake fans were. Plenty of empty seats down there, and I figured it would be better to be with fellow Deacons. Get to the top of the section to walk in, and the usher asks to see my tickets, and then wouldn't let me go into the section. Couldn't believe it.

Even better was when we walked back to the general admission area, the usher checked our tickets there as well. To get into GENERAL ADMISSION. 15,000 people in a 34,000 seat stadium, and they are checking ticket stubs. Unbelieveable. If I hadn't been carrying a three year old, I'd have just seat hopped my way over to the Wake section, but under the circumstances it wasn't worth it.

that is stupid as hell. and a mismanagement of resources.

I had a similar experience, then I walked to the aisle on the 40
yard line that was unattended.

But it hosted the Rose Bowl!

Long after their 1938 season of shutouts and the wartime Rose Bowl, Duke had legit success under Murray in the 50s and 60s. They won the ACC 6 of its first 10 years, finished in the top 20 5 times, and went to two Orange Bowls and a Cotton.

That said, Wally Wade remains a neglected and sparsely attended dump today.

I've always enjoyed going to Wally Wade:

1. Really not a bad seat in the place, and it's so empty that you can usually go wherever you want to.

2. I think the food is really good there...

3. I've never been there when we've lost.

I've always enjoyed going to Wally Wade:

1. Really not a bad seat in the place, and it's so empty that you can usually go wherever you want to.

2. I think the food is really good there...

3. I've never been there when we've lost.

Wally World is not that bad really. They need better visiting facilities for sure. I know the visitor facilities shouldn't be that high a priority for a stadium, but the long distance between the field and the visitor locker room is kind of nuts. They've added new bathrooms recently which was badly needed to replace the cattle bathrooms that had been there since the depression probably. The did build the "Yoh Football Center" a few years ago which is really nice from what I understand, so they have put some money in football. The thing is Duke doesn't seem to spend a lot on facilities do they? Honestly, if Duke wasn't so great in basketball wouldn't Cameron Indoor be considered a outdated dump? If that court belonged to almost any other colelge team people around that program would be talking about how they needed better facilities to compete. Since it's Duke, it's considered the mecca of college basketball.

They were younger when they bought the seats. Lifetime. Chasity wasn't lifetime.

Off topic, but serious question. Can the blue hairs bequeth those seats? Or, does the contract die when they die?

Wally World is not that bad really. They need better visiting facilities for sure. I know the visitor facilities shouldn't be that high a priority for a stadium, but the long distance between the field and the visitor locker room is kind of nuts. They've added new bathrooms recently which was badly needed to replace the cattle bathrooms that had been there since the depression probably. The did build the "Yoh Football Center" a few years ago which is really nice from what I understand, so they have put some money in football. The thing is Duke doesn't seem to spend a lot on facilities do they? Honestly, if Duke wasn't so great in basketball wouldn't Cameron Indoor be considered a outdated dump? If that court belonged to almost any other colelge team people around that program would be talking about how they needed better facilities to compete. Since it's Duke, it's considered the mecca of college basketball.

good post.

Back