• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What day does Bzz get fired?

Turner would be okay, but not more than that. He's done a pretty good job at UC-I, landed a 4 Saar recruit and has a sneaky hot doctor wife who went to Wake.

As others have said, we wouldn't consider Turner if he hadn't coached at Wake. He won't be a splash hire outside of those who accept anything coming out of the AD. At worst, he will reek of cronyism like the Bz hire. If he retains any of the assistants, it will look like that was the motivation for the hire.

It's extremely common during coaching searches for schools to favor candidates who have previously been assistants at the same school.

Sure fourteen years ago, Wellman is so afraid of a big time coach coming here and not kissing his ring.

Turner would be okay, but not more than that. He's done a pretty good job at UC-I, landed a 4 Saar recruit and has a sneaky hot doctor wife who went to Wake.

There's a few things I'm worried about, though.

UCI was a miserable program and he has definitely righted the ship, but it seems like he has plateaued in terms of performance after last year. I don't know how much better a coach can make a Big West bottom feeder, but it's a bit concerning.

He landed N'Diaye, but something tells me that has a lot to do with the fact that he played in UCI's backyard (and RJ's home turf) more than it speaks to Turner's recruiting prowess. He has recruited some big guys, but, outside of N'Diaye, I haven't been particularly impressed with any of the players that he has brought in over the past three years.

I think Ph raises some good points, too, though at least Turner has done at UCI what Buzz couldn't do at a school like UMES.

At the end of the day, though and best case-scenario, Turner seems a lot like Gaudio in terms of projected strengths and weaknesses.

Turner would be a disappointment when you consider the coaching candidates out there as well as the schools that will be looking for a new coach.

Funny how Odom is getting so much love these days. The old boards helped run him out of town. It didn't seem right back then to me. Glad he is so popular all of a sudden. I guess he looks damn good after the Bz era.

Funny how Odom is getting so much love these days. The old boards helped run him out of town. It didn't seem right back then to me. Glad he is so popular all of a sudden. I guess he looks damn good after the Bz era.

Many on old board wanted to run Skip out of town as well after Justin Gray's senior year....

I wonder if there will even be a PC to announce the firing. It would be so Wellman to announce via press release and avoid having to answer any questions about this abortion of a hire and tenure.

There's a few things I'm worried about, though.

UCI was a miserable program and he has definitely righted the ship, but it seems like he has plateaued in terms of performance after last year. I don't know how much better a coach can make a Big West bottom feeder, but it's a bit concerning.

He landed N'Diaye, but something tells me that has a lot to do with the fact that he played in UCI's backyard (and RJ's home turf) more than it speaks to Turner's recruiting prowess. He has recruited some big guys, but, outside of N'Diaye, I haven't been particularly impressed with any of the players that he has brought in over the past three years.

I think Ph raises some good points, too, though at least Turner has done at UCI what Buzz couldn't do at a school like UMES.

At the end of the day, though and best case-scenario, Turner seems a lot like Gaudio in terms of projected strengths and weaknesses.

UCI has a miserable building too. But it's a good school on a nice campus.

N'Daiye was close to his "adoptive" parents in HB. They got him some sort of operation he needed.

In all the years I've been in HB, I've never known anyone (nor have my friends) at that church and school. The land they have could be worth upwards of $100M. Their football coach is former Harvard and NFL star Pat McInally. his assistant is local hero, UCLA star and NFL player Kerwin Bell.

I wonder if there will even be a PC to announce the firing. It would be so Wellman to announce via press release and avoid having to answer any questions about this abortion of a hire and tenure.

Wellman will have plenty of interviews as chair of the committee. Somebody will ask him about the vacant position.

There won't be a firing. There will be a resignation and a PC featuring Wellman and an absent Bz.
Wellman will praise his friend and make it known that he did the job he was asked to do. He will rehash the Wake Forest tradition of academic excellence and puff his chest up at our athletic graduation rates. He will not mention how badly our revenue sports have performed in the last 5 years. He will not mention how bad of a hit the AD has taken financially. He will smile.

And Bz will ride off into the Sunset Beach a very rich man.

Didn't somebody post awhile back that we may be in trouble with our APR?

Didn't somebody post awhile back that we may be in trouble with our APR?

I speculated the other day, but if there was a more specific concern I've missed it.

Transfers out under Bz: Tabb, Stewart, Terrell, Desrosiers, Chennault, Fields. Am I missing one?
Plus, Walker didn't finish the season on the team but stayed in school. I think that counts lower than someone who both finished on the team and graduated. Although he may have technically finished his career "on the team" but suspended.

It depends on the GPA of our impending transfers. We are fine now but low. If we had a bunch of low GPA transfers we could take a hit.

Apr is a big concern so they are not wanting a lot of transfers. So combine that with finances and you can judge for yourself what kind of coach we likely land.

It depends on the GPA of our impending transfers. We are fine now but low. If we had a bunch of low GPA transfers we could take a hit.

I'm sure all of our current players are of the highest-caliber academically so that shouldn't be an issue. #culturechampions

In all seriousness, I remember Ron praising Desrosiers and Fields for their GPAs when they left (a P-A shot at Tony) so maybe we're okay there.

Apr is a big concern so they are not wanting a lot of transfers. So combine that with finances and you can judge for yourself what kind of coach we likely land.

And rock bottom approaches hard and fast...

I think we'll have the budget for a decent coach given Grobe's "resignation" with multiple years left on his contract and the ACC tv deal.

Back