• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why firing [Redacted] after Carolina makes sense for Wellman

How safe is Wellman's job if he refuses to fire him?

How safe is Wellman's job if he refuses to fire him?

It's funny that in the same thread you can have one person say that Shaka's not coming because Wellman tested the waters on firing Bz after year two and have another that thinks Wellman would risk his own job to give Bz a fifth year.

HeelsYes ‏@HeelsYes 1h
Hearing from a very good source that Jeff [Redacted] will be fired at the end of the season.

449 followers!

It doesn't do us any good to fire Coach [Redacted] before the end of the season. He'll get canned after the tourney loss. I know we all want it to happen as soon as possible, but there is no benefit to doing it now.

It would be over a month's worth of additional donations for both the Deacon Club and Wake Will campaign. If the rumors are true that the "powers that be" have finally woken up to how Bzz has destroyed the University's donations, then potentially salvaging an additional 10% of the monetary year should be reason enough to pull the trigger (I wish literally) ASAP. It's not like our on-court product could get any worse. Hell, the team might perform better just coaching themselves.

Wellman can't fire Bz during the season because it will just add to the (accurate) perception that the program is a dumpster fire right now. Bz is going to "resign" at the end of the season and Wellman is going to thank him for his great work in rebuilding the program from scratch and building such a great foundation for the next coach to be able to step in and succeed right away.

And 2&2 is right about the effect Bz has had on fundraising driving the boat here. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see us spend $2-3 million a year on a new coach. We can afford it with all of the ACC money rolling in and they are going to feel a need to show a strong commitment to winning to bring the donors back.

Wellman can't fire Bz during the season because it will just add to the (accurate) perception that the program is a dumpster fire right now. Bz is going to "resign" at the end of the season and Wellman is going to thank him for his great work in rebuilding the program from scratch and building such a great foundation for the next coach to be able to step in and succeed right away.

And 2&2 is right about the effect Bz has had on fundraising driving the boat here. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see us spend $2-3 million a year on a new coach. We can afford it with all of the ACC money rolling in and they are going to feel a need to show a strong commitment to winning to bring the donors back.

This

I hope you are correct. However, I really don't think this crowd has much commitment to winning beyond pacifying the barbarians who are forming at the gate.

Wellman is on his swan song heading to his NCAA career and the old man in charge still thinks he's in South Bend. I'm not holding my breath.

I don't understand the part about the questions. No one will question the firing of Jeff [Redacted]. No one. The only possible questions to Wellman could be why hasn't he been fired yet, or what took so long?

Braces will question it.

We are going to get destroyed. Revenge home game for heels at time they are playing best ball of the year. Bz wont quit though and ron wont pulled the trigger

The fact that we've been subjected to Clark Kellogg for so long is an absolute crime. Someone should lose their freedom over that fact.

Carolina's gonna mop the floor w/ us on Saturday. We'll be lucky to score 60.

How does everyone see our chances against the Heels on Saturday? Maybe a win and a season sweep against UNC (assuming we don't play them again in the ACCT) would help turn the season around. Fingers crossed!

(Turn on your sarcasm meter if you think that was serious. This season can't be over soon enough. Can we just forfeit the rest of the games?)

Back