• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why firing [Redacted] after Carolina makes sense for Wellman

It would be over a month's worth of additional donations for both the Deacon Club and Wake Will campaign. If the rumors are true that the "powers that be" have finally woken up to how Bzz has destroyed the University's donations, then potentially salvaging an additional 10% of the monetary year should be reason enough to pull the trigger (I wish literally) ASAP. It's not like our on-court product could get any worse. Hell, the team might perform better just coaching themselves.

I am waiting for Buzz to be relieved before I participate in Wake Will. I have no interest in giving to a university which tolerates such incompetence.

I am waiting for Buzz to be relieved before I participate in Wake Will. I have no interest in giving to a university which tolerates such incompetence.

Does giving Bz four years and getting rid of him only in response to a lackluster capital campaign really do anything to show that Wake doesn't tolerate incompetence?

Wellman can't fire Bz during the season because it will just add to the (accurate) perception that the program is a dumpster fire right now. Bz is going to "resign" at the end of the season and Wellman is going to thank him for his great work in rebuilding the program from scratch and building such a great foundation for the next coach to be able to step in and succeed right away.

And 2&2 is right about the effect Bz has had on fundraising driving the boat here. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see us spend $2-3 million a year on a new coach. We can afford it with all of the ACC money rolling in and they are going to feel a need to show a strong commitment to winning to bring the donors back.

The other danger is if Wellman fires Bzz mid season and, somehow, the Deacs go on a run to finish the season and then the ACC tournament. It would put Wellman in the difficult position of having to hire a coach he doesnt want to hire, or fire an interm coach that just won more games then the coach he replaced. Its a no win for Wellman

Does giving Bz four years and getting rid of him only in response to a lackluster capital campaign really do anything to show that Wake doesn't tolerate incompetence?

No, but it is my choice to decide when, to whom and how much I give. There are no shortages of other good causes.

How can Wake show that it doesn't tolerate incompetence when it does tolerate incompetence?

I hope you are correct. However, I really don't think this crowd has much commitment to winning beyond pacifying the barbarians who are forming at the gate.

Wellman is on his swan song heading to his NCAA career and the old man in charge still thinks he's in South Bend. I'm not holding my breath.

Merely pacifying the barbarians at the gate won't be enough at this point. They need to make a hire that will make the kind of splash that Clawson did. There's too much ill will built up at this point it's the only way to get the donors back on board. I certainly hope at this point they know this. At the very least, they seem to know enough that it's driving the boat on firing Bz so that's a good start.

Alright, I'm #rjIN. Fire him now. Yes, he sucks, but there is no excuse for not letting our walk one play in that game. That's just crapping on guys that give a significant part of their life for this team with no reward.

I didn't really care whether it happened during the season or right after it, now I'm fully on board with him not being allowed on the team bus and left in the parking lot (ala Kiffin). Embarrassing loss and even more embarrassing to not allow the walk-ons any time.

Genius Clark Kellogg said yesterday, in reference to Turgeon, it "takes 6 years to build a program."

Ok, Clark.

haha, it doesn't even take that long to build (or re-build) a football program.

if the program you were coming to was a complete disaster you should start seeing improvements by year 3/4. I don't think a basketball program that was coming off an NCAA Tournament victory can be classified as a "complete disaster".

This must happen tomorrow. It's obvious he's lost the team.

Haven't you heard? We still have a winning record. We're winners, guys.

If Ron and the BoT are worried about how firing a coach mid-season looks they can just say they wanted to give Battle an opportunity to win the job. They think its a good chance to see what they have with him before they move forward with a full coaching search. We all know that Battle being the replacement is extremely unlikely, but it is good PR nonetheless.

Back