• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bernie Fine

ABCDeac

Reaction score
Curious as to why this is getting so much less attention than PSU - both here on the boards and in general. Third alleged victim has come forward, an audio recording of his wife saying she knew about it/had serious concerns for years, etc. Also, the main victim claims Boeheim saw him several times in Fine's bed on road trips.

The similarities are shocking - top 10 program in a revenue sport, one coach for 35+ years, long-time assistant, alleged knowledge by the main coach, communities that are probably similar in terms of reverence given the respective sports programs, etc.

Will this bring Boeheim down? Or, do we think that because he is more media-savvy than JoePa, he will stay out ahead of this?

As far as Boeheim goes, no one is saying he had any advance knowledge of the "Fine" situation. Paterno clearly knew about it and essentially did nothing. You can't fire Boeheim for not knowing about the situation if, in fact, he didn't know.

What made the Penn State accusations worse was that the alledged act came in the football building in the view of a football staff member. The perp already had a known history of molestation yet was still allowed access to the football building/program.

The Penn State case is much more problematic than the 'Cuse case.

Here are excerpts from the phone call between one of the accusers and Fine's wife in 2002:

Bobby Davis, the man who first accused Fine of molesting him in the mid-1980s and 1990s, legally tape-recorded the phone call with Laurie Fine in 2002, according to ESPN. Davis gave the tape to ESPN that year, but the network said it didn't report the allegations because no one else would corroborate his story at the time. The Post-Standard was also contacted by Davis, but did not publish the allegations at the time.
On the tape given to ESPN, Laurie Fine tried to explain why she didn't feel she could stop the abuse: "If it was another girl like I told you, it would be easy to step in because you know what you're up against. ... (When) it's another guy, you can't compete with that. It's just wrong, and you were a kid. You're a man now, but you were a kid then."

My favorite part of the story is how when the guy was 18 he slept with Fine's wife. Just a poor excuse for a family. Disgusting.

I am not saying that he is lying but sleeping with the wife of the man who was molesting him definitely will hurt both his and Fine's wife credibility. This whole situation is fucked up. Multiple parties are lying here, it's just a matter of figuring out who.

But maybe there is a lesson here: Kids should not be spending the night alone in some old guys house. Whether something happens or not, it is stupid to put yourself (the adult, and the parent/care-giver) in that situation.

I am not saying that he is lying but sleeping with the wife of the man who was molesting him definitely will hurt both his and Fine's wife credibility. This whole situation is fucked up. Multiple parties are lying here, it's just a matter of figuring out who.

But maybe there is a lesson here: Kids should not be spending the night alone in some old guys house. Whether something happens or not, it is stupid to put yourself (the adult, and the parent/care-giver) in that situation.

meh.... I don't see how sleeping with Fine's wife hurts his credibility.

from that recording Davis is also claiming that Fine raped(?) him after he asked for money to pay off student loans when he was 27. 27. i'm sorry but if this guy was molesting you as a child why in the world are you still associating with this guy when you are 27 years old????

Everybody hates paying student loans?

Maybe he felt like he deserved some compensation for his abuse. Who knows. I don't see how sleeping with the wife hurts his credibility, the tape sounds pretty damning imo.

IslandDeac;446044[B said:
]I am not saying that he is lying but sleeping with the wife of the man who was molesting him definitely will hurt both his and Fine's wife credibility[/B]. This whole situation is fucked up. Multiple parties are lying here, it's just a matter of figuring out who.

How so? It sounds like that was part of the abuse. Both Fine and his wife took advantage of Davis.

The main problem I have is that in 2005 when ESPN/the police were trying to corroborate Davis' story why didn't he present this tape that he recorded in 2002. Seems a little fishy. Tape is certainly damning but something doesn't feel right about this whole thing.

The main problem I have is that in 2005 when ESPN/the police were trying to corroborate Davis' story why didn't he present this tape that he recorded in 2002. Seems a little fishy. Tape is certainly damning but something doesn't feel right about this whole thing.

I agree BB. The guy seems a little sketchy to me. But I think something probably happened. Boeheim is probably stunned with the release of this tape.

Back