• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bernie Fine

There's something not quite right about the accuser. Maybe it's because he was molested because Lord knows that fucks people up big time for the rest of their lives. He seems a bit off to me though. Squirrel-y.

:werd:

There's something not quite right about the accuser. Maybe it's because he was molested because Lord knows that fucks people up big time for the rest of their lives. He seems a bit off to me though. Squirrel-y.

Good thing he's not the one on trial here.

What do the victim blamers think is going on if this guy wasn't sexually abused?

Right. They've had this tape for years and have been sitting on it. Whitlock seems to think they released it to cover their asses for the criticism they were taking. I don't think the accuser gave it to investigators- maybe it was done after the investigation?

What kind of sanctions exist for press outlets? ESPN is deserving of harsh sanctions no matter what happens on this story. Just an absolute lack of journalistic ethics on display here no matter how you spin it...

I pretty much agree with Whitlock at this point. I'm not sure I fully understand what happened here and have trouble believing we know everything.

Boeheim is certainly not out of the woods. But I dont think anyone can accuse him of anything just yet either.

Just listening to the audio though, is this a generational thing or is she just crazy? Do older people really have no concept of what damage can be done to children who are abused? She just kind of brushes it off, saying "well, I probably messed you up a bit too" (harhar, you know by sleeping with you, no big deal though, right?)

WTF?

I really didnt hear any genuine empathy for him or remorse in her voice. Just totally delusional.

Good thing he's not the one on trial here.

What do the victim blamers think is going on if this guy wasn't sexually abused?

Maybe Bernie had his eye on him when he was a kid but nothing sexual happened until he was older. I get the feeling the accusers are looking for big paydays, though of course that doesn't preclude them from having been molested. And the third one, he's facing charges of molestation himself and his father said he's lying. I'm not saying Bernie didn't molest them- I didn't even really start looking into this case till yesterday and I get the feeling Bernie was up to no good and might very well be a pedo. But I don't think it's the sort of slam dunk that you have with the Penn State case- at least based on what little I know. And can you honestly say you saw the interview with the first accuser and didn't think he seemed a bit shady? My first thought was meth head or crack addict. I could be completely wrong and you can't judge a book by it's cover but that was my first thought when watching him. His mannerisms reminded me of a tweaker. And of course he might have nothing to do with those drugs and if he does it might be related to what Bernie did to him.

Child abuse can mess a kid up. So what if he's a tweaker? Doesn't mean he wasn't abused.

Then what does it matter if he's a tweaker?

My guess is that Jim Boeheim will be unable to fully distance himself from this, and 2011-2 will be his last year as Cuse's coach. As is apparent from the Sandusky situation, impossible to stop the momentum once these things get started.

Cuse without Boeheim is not an attractive expansion target.

Dickie V tweets in support of Boeheim:
Pls Boeheim vs Penn St situation different. A coach told Joe Pa he saw Sandusky in sexual sit. No one told JB they saw Fine in sexual sit.
while Greg Doyel says he should be fired:
"Boeheim is the most powerful, most popular man in Syracuse. And for that guy, in that town, to ridicule Fine's accusers as liars and opportunists -- as deceitful frauds looking to make a quick buck -- Boeheim laid down a very public gauntlet to anyone else who might have been interested in telling the police they were molested by Fine," Doyel writes.

This is what Boeheim said about the accusers:
In continuing his support of Fine, Boeheim called the first two victims "liars" who were looking for money.

"The Penn State thing came out and the kid behind this is trying to get money. He's tried before. And now he's trying again. If he gets this, he's going to sue the university and Bernie. What do you think is going to happen at Penn State? You know how much money is going to be involved in civil suits? I'd say about $50 million. That's what this is about. Money," Boeheim told The Post-Standard's Bud Poliquin on November 18.
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2011/11/syracuse_basketball_coach_jim_5.html

while Greg Doyel says he should be fired:

While I don't know enough about this situation to support firing Boeheim, I do know that Greg Doyel is a self-serving, know-nothing clown... what a pathetic excuse for a journalist/columnist/opinion.

...and do we know enough to fire Boeheim on the grounds that he's wrong?

The university had to fire Fine after the third accuser came forward, but that's more of a PR move because the dots are still not remotely connecting in the case against him and is based almost completely on sketchy hearsay and a bunch of sketchy, timely press releases from ESPN...

I don't doubt that Fine is guilty of something, but like I've said before, this whole thing is sketchy until proven less sketchy.

Didn't the first accuser say Boeheim saw him in Fine's room/bed on road trips? I swear I am not making that up, but I only watched the interview with the guy on ESPN. If so, is that enough to can Boeheim? Also, the school investigated in 2005. Did Boeheim know about the investigation? If he did know, did Fine then continue to bring kids/ball boys on road trips? I don't know the answers to those questions, but they seem to be the pertinent questions. If Boeheim knew about the investigation and this behavior continued, or even if he knew the accuser was hanging out in Bernie's hotel room on road trips, Boeheim is in serious trouble and will not coach there next year. If the answers to those questions are all resounding "nos", he is probably safe.

Didn't the first accuser say Boeheim saw him in Fine's room/bed on road trips? I swear I am not making that up, but I only watched the interview with the guy on ESPN. If so, is that enough to can Boeheim? Also, the school investigated in 2005. Did Boeheim know about the investigation? If he did know, did Fine then continue to bring kids/ball boys on road trips? I don't know the answers to those questions, but they seem to be the pertinent questions. If Boeheim knew about the investigation and this behavior continued, or even if he knew the accuser was hanging out in Bernie's hotel room on road trips, Boeheim is in serious trouble and will not coach there next year. If the answers to those questions are all resounding "nos", he is probably safe.

I'm not sure all of that is entirely clear yet. The school did investigate, but hell, so did Penn st.

Dickie V seems to be completely sure Boeheim never heard anything about it from anyone. Not sure anyone else is going to be so quick to draw that conclusion definitively. He obviously knew about the investigation but apparently wrote it off as bogus..what else did he know or suspect?

I'm not sure all of that is entirely clear yet. The school did investigate, but hell, so did Penn st.

Dickie V seems to be completely sure Boeheim never heard anything about it from anyone. Not sure anyone else is going to be so quick to draw that conclusion definitively. He obviously knew about the investigation but apparently wrote it off as bogus..what else did he know or suspect?

I do, however, wholeheartedly support Dickie V being fired over this (or any) scandal, regardless of its validity.

Dickie V will never say anything bad about a big bball coach, especially JB. He doesn't make a living on football, so PSU is fair game.

Sandusky "retired" in 1999. The 2002 incident that was the main focus of the grand jury probe was after he was no longer part of the coaching staff. Fine was investigated as a member of the coaching staff in 2005 and was allowed to continue to coach. I'm amazed that Boeheim gets a pass on this after calling the accusers liars and Paterno was drawn and quartered because he "didn't do enough" about a guy who wasn't even on his coaching staff at that point.

Back