• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

there is when an amish guy comes into our office; homeboys definitely could stand to embrace deodorant technology

You weren't brought up in school as a Muslim in a post 9/11 world filled with Islamophobia.

I am from a Muslim family and absolutely grew up in a post 9/11 world. I agree with 2&2 not everything is about race/religion. The kid made a device that looked like a bomb and brought it to school. Those are exactly the kids I want detained and questioned.

He saw a cover to hide under the race card when then media got involved and it snowballed from there. This kid is a criminal, liar, and has raised money on fraudulent terms. Fuck him.

Discussion from Real Time. I found Mark Cuban's comments worthwhile, but you probably already know exactly what Bill Maher has to say.

More like everyone could stand to remember the "don't judge a book by its cover" lesson that we all got when we were five. Apparently a few kids skipped that day. Or they were raised in a single parent household where having a second parent was required for that lesson amirite?

But it's still okay to make public policy in 2015 based solely upon the cover, right? #affirmativeaction

I am from a Muslim family and absolutely grew up in a post 9/11 world. I agree with 2&2 not everything is about race/religion. The kid made a device that looked like a bomb and brought it to school. Those are exactly the kids I want detained and questioned.

He saw a cover to hide under the race card when then media got involved and it snowballed from there. This kid is a criminal, liar, and has raised money on fraudulent terms. Fuck him.

Your move, libs.

You weren't brought up in school as a Muslim in a post 9/11 world filled with Islamophobia.

It's not entirely unjustified. I imagine things were similar for people of oriental heritage living in the US post WW2.

It's not entirely unjustified. I imagine things were similar for people of oriental heritage living in the US post WW2.

Islamophobia isn't entirely unjustified?

Islamophobia isn't entirely unjustified?

I might have worded it incorrectly. I don't think it's a problem that some people have an innate fear of Muslims post 9/11 (although the shelf life on that should be drawing to a close soon), but it's certainly not OK to let that fear manifest itself in blatant racist acts.

I might have worded it incorrectly. I don't think it's a problem that some people have an innate fear of Muslims post 9/11 (although the shelf life on that should be drawing to a close soon), but it's certainly not OK to let that fear manifest itself in blatant racist acts.

I don't want to get blown up by a white kid's pipe bomb any more than somebody else's pipe bomb. Being concerned about something that looks like a pipe bomb---in a school full of kids you are responsible for---isn't a "blatant racist act." It's adhering to "If you see something, say something", which isn't a bad idea in society or public schools.

Or at military recruiting stations in Tennessee.
Or at cartoonists offices in France.
Or train stations in Spain.
Or airports in Los Angeles.
Or bus stations in London.
Or nightclubs in SE Asia.

I don't want to get blown up by a white kid's pipe bomb any more than somebody else's pipe bomb. Being concerned about something that looks like a pipe bomb---in a school full of kids you are responsible for---isn't a "blatant racist act." It's adhering to "If you see something, say something", which isn't a bad idea in society or public schools.

Or at military recruiting stations in Tennessee.
Or at cartoonists offices in France.
Or train stations in Spain.
Or airports in Los Angeles.
Or bus stations in London.
Or nightclubs in SE Asia.

Then why didn't they evacuate the school?

What I really don't understand (and maybe someone can help me with this) is if the teacher/administration actually thought that they were dealing with a bomb or some type of threat, why was the building not evacuated? It's standard procedure in any school in this country that if you see something that resembles a bomb that you don't touch it, move it, dick around with it, etc. You immediately notify the administration and authorities and begin to evacuate the building and nobody goes back into that building or even gets anywhere near it, under any circumstances, until the authorities have deemed it safe. If they thought for an instant that there was a bomb in the building or the kid made any indication that he had a bomb, that procedure kicks in and it's non-negotiable.

With this being the standard operating procedure for any school in America, it leaves us with two possible conclusions: 1) the school administration and police acted negligently in a way that could have endangered the lives of the people in the building, or 2) the school administration and police knew that it was not a bomb the entire time and singled this kid out.

If that's the case, there are plenty of Americans people should have an innate fear of because Americans are more likely to do them harm.

Then why didn't they evacuate the school?

That's a good question, but I don't think we should jump immediately to racisom! when somebody adopts an understandable response to an unusual stimuli. It's just a backpack with a pressure cooker inside it until the damned thing goes off and starts killing children and maiming unarmed women.

That's a good question, but I don't think we should jump immediately to racisom! when somebody adopts an understandable response to an unusual stimuli. It's just a backpack with a pressure cooker inside it until the damned thing goes off and starts killing children and maiming unarmed women.

So then the only other conclusion is that the school that is hypersensitive about security issues acted negligently and endangered the lives of people in the school by not evacuating it.

So then the only other conclusion is that the school that is hypersensitive about security issues acted negligently and endangered the lives of people in the school by not evacuating it.

Yep, and that doesn't pass the "sniff" test.

If that's the case, there are plenty of Americans people should have an innate fear of because Americans are more likely to do them harm.

Plenty of Americans, myself included, do.

Back