• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

It'll be interesting to see how these kinds of disputes play out for streaming services. Before now customers were faced with switching from a monopoly cable provider to getting a dish put on their roof, new cables, staying home for hours, choosing equipment, committing for a year etc. Now if Fox Sports matters to you just tack on a rival streamer for a month.

Also sounds like they have a temporary agreement done so no channels are disappearing quite yet.

Yeah, the switching friction (in the economics sense) is much lower than it has been in the past. In theory, this should mean that the market works more efficiently and the channels are priced more appropriately with how fans value them. It should be interesting to see these disputes play out of the next half decade because sports are so incredibly expensive for the service providers right now.

It'll be interesting to see how these kinds of disputes play out for streaming services. Before now customers were faced with switching from a monopoly cable provider to getting a dish put on their roof, new cables, staying home for hours, choosing equipment, committing for a year etc. Now if Fox Sports matters to you just tack on a rival streamer for a month.

Also sounds like they have a temporary agreement done so no channels are disappearing quite yet.

Yeah, to my surprise I still have the Wake game on Fox Sports FL right now. Was expecting it to either not show up in the guide our have a "sorry" message when selecting the game.

The streaming services were paying a lot less per sub than cable companies. They content providers are working on getting them closer to the same. It’s why YouTube.tv, Hulu Live and Sling were so cheap in the beginning.

So, I saw this:

Baltimore, MD – March 5, 2020 – Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: SBGI), a diversified media company and a leader in local news and sports, announced today that it has reached a deal with YouTube TV that ensures the streaming service will continue to carry 19 of its 21 Fox regional sports networks (RSNs), including Fox Sports Arizona, Fox Sports Florida, Fox Sports Midwest, Fox Sports North, Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports San Diego, Fox Sports South, Fox Sports Southwest, Fox Sports Southeast, Fox Sports Sun and SportsTime Ohio.

And was happy since my two channels - Fox Sports FL and Fox Sports Florida - are both on the list of channels that they will still be carrying. Then I go to watch some of the Lighting game tonight, and don't see either of those channels on my guide. Do a live chat and am informed that though they are carrying those channels, they are not available "in your location". WTF? I live in FL and the FL regional sports channels are not available in my area? Does that mean that there are others in FL that pay the same thing that I do but DO get those channels? I stumbled on a reddit thread, and it sounds like this is happening to other people all over the country. YTTV is still carrying the regional channel they have always gotten, but now they can't get it. What a joke. I shot off a pissed email, but I'm sure that will just get some canned reply. So it looks like I'll have to go over to Hulu Live TV once the NHL play-offs get close. As I said before, why is it so hard to get the few channels you really care about, yet get stuck with hundreds that you could care less about?

Weird. I just checked and I still get both of them.

One of the stations they aren't getting is YES, which stinks for Yankees and Nets fans, I guess.

Just signed up for YTTV through Verizon since I was getting Fios internet anyway. Since I'm a VZW customer, they also tacked on a $10/month credit to a device. Not too shabby and will end up saving $65/month from my previous Xfinity bill. BOOYAH. Can't believe I didn't do this way earlier.

Between ditching DirecTV for YTTV and renegotiating my Spectrum Internet I’m saving around $180/month. I think you all undersold how good YTTV is.

Just get a VPN and switch locations until you get the channels you like...

So, I saw this:

And was happy since my two channels - Fox Sports FL and Fox Sports Florida - are both on the list of channels that they will still be carrying. Then I go to watch some of the Lighting game tonight, and don't see either of those channels on my guide. Do a live chat and am informed that though they are carrying those channels, they are not available "in your location". WTF? I live in FL and the FL regional sports channels are not available in my area? Does that mean that there are others in FL that pay the same thing that I do but DO get those channels? I stumbled on a reddit thread, and it sounds like this is happening to other people all over the country. YTTV is still carrying the regional channel they have always gotten, but now they can't get it. What a joke. I shot off a pissed email, but I'm sure that will just get some canned reply. So it looks like I'll have to go over to Hulu Live TV once the NHL play-offs get close. As I said before, why is it so hard to get the few channels you really care about, yet get stuck with hundreds that you could care less about?

SportsTime Ohio sounds like something from 30 Rock

Has anyone using YTTV on PS4 found a diagram or guide of the controller functions? I've gotten the basics, but others in the house are more challenged with this type of thing.

Late to the game, but last week made the full transition off Spectrum (internet, cable and embarrassingly...phone) and onto AT&T fiber + YTTV. Couldn't be happier....love it. Threw in a basic mesh router and the entire household is happier...

Late to the game, but last week made the full transition off Spectrum (internet, cable and embarrassingly...phone) and onto AT&T fiber + YTTV. Couldn't be happier....love it. Threw in a basic mesh router and the entire household is happier...

That's me exactly. Same set up. Works perfectly. Huge savings.

A month ago there were complaints about losing Fox sports channels on YTTV. Now there are no sports to broadcast. Amusingly appropriate.

SportsTime Ohio sounds like something from 30 Rock

I remember when they created STO. Indians decided they wanted to go it alone and ditch SportsChannel, name was a bit unique but did seem odd initially. Got used to it over time but was surprised Fox kept it. Seems ripe for retirement now whenever Sinclair decides on branding.

A month ago there were complaints about losing Fox sports channels on YTTV. Now there are no sports to broadcast. Amusingly appropriate.

I read an interesting thread yesterday about how Fox News charges $2 for their channel compared to something like $0.33 for MSNBC and $0.70 for CNN. Sinclair may have been trying to get their rates closer to ESPN.

Just finished setting up our Google Nest. Hoping this cures our connectivity issues.

Back