• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

TV content is very much into redistribution. Big channels pay for the production of th channels that only a few people watch. Kinda like football revenues at big universities pay for all the other sports.

A la carte is a pipe dream, but I'll keep on dreaming with you.

Yeah, it’s part of why the online services were more enticing because they offered a scaled back set of channels to trim a lot of the fat at a reduced price. Now moves like this are making it more like the bloated pricey cable package I left. At least offer some lower tiers.

If that continues we’re going to reach a tipping point sooner rather than later where everyone will just cut entirely and live with Netflix and Disney+. Without sports I’d be willing to do this right now if I could get the wife off bravo...

I don't see how the VH1's and the CMTs and TCMs of the world survive the era of YouTube and Netflix and Amazon Prime

LOL. Streaming services making the same mistakes that legacy media made 20 years ago. Jacking up prices with no discernible increase in value and no way to customize packages.

Suppose.tv is a spectacular tool to compare services based on your preferred channel mix. YTTV is still the best for me, but is no longer that much cheaper than something like FIOS. Especially since I still have to get my internet through Verizon.

The irony of course is I chose YTTV over Sling because the latter doesn't have the local sports networks. And then they went and cancelled sports.

LOL. Streaming services making the same mistakes that legacy media made 20 years ago. Jacking up prices with no discernible increase in value and no way to customize packages.

Suppose.tv is a spectacular tool to compare services based on your preferred channel mix. YTTV is still the best for me, but is no longer that much cheaper than something like FIOS. Especially since I still have to get my internet through Verizon.

The irony of course is I chose YTTV over Sling because the latter doesn't have the local sports networks. And then they went and cancelled sports.

Yeah. We're headed toward a redo of large cable packages plus a la carte streaming options that cost $9,99+ a month.

Finally ditched Spectrum (just an awful, awful cable product) and replaced it with Hulu Live. Still saving $60/month and Hulu appears to have everything we want and need in terms of live and and on-demand TV. Pretty happy so far.

Can't imagine why anyone would continue to pay Spectrum $220+ these days.

I mean even if you are 70+ and a tech idiot, you can figure out YTTV.

Can't imagine why anyone would continue to pay Spectrum $220+ these days.

I mean even if you are 70+ and a tech idiot, you can figure out YTTV.

I was a verrrrry late convert, just did it maybe 18 months ago. Only reason I'd like to go back is to go back to 1 remote, that and initially I didn't like the guides on the YTTV. But given all I watch is like sports or 2-3 channels, now that YTTV always puts those channels up front it's kinda nice.

I just miss being able to scroll through and find a good law and order SVU marathon of episodes I've always seen. I just miss my saturday afternoon pedophilia-rape guilty pleasure

You can just add SVU to your library.

I was a verrrrry late convert, just did it maybe 18 months ago. Only reason I'd like to go back is to go back to 1 remote, that and initially I didn't like the guides on the YTTV. But given all I watch is like sports or 2-3 channels, now that YTTV always puts those channels up front it's kinda nice.

I just miss being able to scroll through and find a good law and order SVU marathon of episodes I've always seen. I just miss my saturday afternoon pedophilia-rape guilty pleasure

Amazon Firestick

YouTubeTV just added NFL Network with the option to add RedZone and some other channels for $10.99.

YouTube tv now indicating their deal with sinclair about fox sports is ending 10/1. Great.

If you want a low bill, support Youtube TV. If you want a higher bill, support Sinclair - but then, heck, perhaps you should have stayed with cable. Sinclair needs eyeballs to justify ad rates and revenue. Let them leave.

Now that there’s ACCN I can live without fox sports for now.

Do you think YTTV is going to drop the price now that they don't have fox regionals? Seriously doubt it. And they also aren't going to raise the rate after just raising it the largest amount since launch.

Great thing about YTTV was having the game this afternoon up on one of my duel monitors.

I’ll worry about Sinclair in March.

Are these streaming services really saving people much money anymore? I get cable+internet for $140 a month all in, and that includes a cloud based DVR, on demand programs, and live streaming of most channels away from home.

Are these streaming services really saving people much money anymore? I get cable+internet for $140 a month all in, and that includes a cloud based DVR, on demand programs, and live streaming of most channels away from home.

Our ATT bill was $220/month. We are down to $110.

Ours was $260 with spectrum with 4 cable boxes and 1 DVR.

Now we may $74 for spectrum internet and whatever the cost is of YTTV. YTTV is the tits.

Back