• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

only logical position is #ManUp #WellmanOut.

Objectively there are things on Manning's resume that indicate a potential for success that just weren't there for [Redacted], regardless of how many people deluded themselves four years ago. On top of that Manning seems like a genuinely good guy. I'll be at the Joel for every game next year hoping he can turn this ship around.

However, this is a horrible hire. One of Mack or Miller was certainly available for the right price. Given the position of our program relative to 4 years ago they would have come at a premium, but I refuse to believe they both said flat out NO to Wake Forest.

Given what he did to the program over the last 4 years, Wellman should have severely overpaid one of those two vs. taking a risk on Manning. No amount of success for Manning will change the fact that Ron Wellman should no longer be employed at Wake Forest.

At its most basic, LOWF essentially stands for noting that Wake Forest is one of the, if not the, smallest schools in Division 1A/BCS and has rigorous academics, and therefore cannot be expected to win on a consistent basis. All other characterizations of LOWF derive from this basic tenet.

Tulsa is significantly smaller than Wake, so maybe that's a positive.

No matter what happens I just want you all to know I love you guys.

the-19-worst-plot-holes-in-blockbuster-movies.jpg

"Ok, so you said that you like this car because it goes from 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. But what if it didn't get from 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, would you like the car less at that point?"

Just a terrible question. Don't go into market research.

So you'd hire Alan Smith?

I would like the car less because it wasn't the same car.

#density

So who should we hire then, instead of Manning? Given what we know, or think we know, about coaches who have passed, and given that Ron Wellman is the man in charge of this process.

What we know? We don't really know anything. We've been fed snippets of info from insiders which may or may not be true. At the risk of sounding like BSF, this is a LOWF position to take. "Well, clearly we're not a competitive job opening, so anyone who isn't Russell Turner gets the gig."

It's a stupid discussion. We don't know for sure what the other candidates said, or who we talked to, or who we seriously offered. We do know that we're almost certainly hiring Danny Manning. Because his hiring is likely imminent, we're not allowed to grade the hire?

Some really impressive individual improvement in Tulsa players year 1 to year 2:

James Woodard: Freshman: 99.3 offensive efficiency on 23.9% usage. Sophomore: 117.4 offensive efficiency on 22.4% usage
Shaquille Harrison: Freshman: 85.2 offensive efficiency on 20.2% usage. Sophomore: 98.6 offensive efficiency on 20.0% usage
Rashad Ray: Freshman 92.3 offensive eff on 20.6% usage. Sophomore: 110.0 offensive efficiency on 17.9% usage

Those are really big jumps. The only member of the WF mega class that made an offensive jump on that level fresh to soph is Cav.

Wait, so you're sure that's the reason we're not hiring either of those guys and not something else? There are a bazillion reasons why we may not have wanted them or why they may not have wanted us.

I'm not sure. That's why I said "maybe we did put feelers out". I just sincerely doubt it because of who our AD is. Everything about Wake Forest screams safe. All of our hires are "good guys", "great values", etc...I'm not disagreeing that those are extremely important factors, but we've never hired anyone that has a chip on their shoulder. That tells it like it is. Marshall probably would have said no, maybe Howland too. Does anyone truly think we actually tried though? I think Marshall's "brink truck" and Howland's SI piece ended any chance. I just think RW is a puss. I think our elitist culture bit is what we say to people about why we can't compete for championships.

Who will Wake hire in four years if Manning doesn't get the job done?

I would like the car less because it wasn't the same car.

#density

OK, so you wouldn't hire Alan Smith. Which means you buy "he's been around winners his whole life!" as if most top coaches haven't been. And you buy "Danny Manning on the living room couch will seal the deal with recruits (or their dads)"?

What we know? We don't really know anything. We've been fed snippets of info from insiders which may or may not be true. At the risk of sounding like BSF, this is a LOWF position to take. "Well, clearly we're not a competitive job opening, so anyone who isn't Russell Turner gets the gig."

It's a stupid discussion. We don't know for sure what the other candidates said, or who we talked to, or who we seriously offered. We do know that we're almost certainly hiring Danny Manning. Because his hiring is likely imminent, we're not allowed to grade the hire?

Wake has been rejected by every target we took aim at above Manning, with the possible exception of Shaka who nobody knows for sure. I don't see what's LOWF about the hire given we took aim at our top targets and missed.

Some really impressive individual improvement in Tulsa players year 1 to year 2:

James Woodard: Freshman: 99.3 offensive efficiency on 23.9% usage. Sophomore: 117.4 offensive efficiency on 22.4% usage
Shaquille Harrison: Freshman: 85.2 offensive efficiency on 20.2% usage. Sophomore: 98.6 offensive efficiency on 20.0% usage
Rashad Ray: Freshman 92.3 offensive eff on 20.6% usage. Sophomore: 110.0 offensive efficiency on 17.9% usage

Those are really big jumps. The only member of the WF mega class that made an offensive jump on that level fresh to soph is Cav.

That's what I was worried you would bring up. So he got some more production out of two role players and his Codi didn't fade down the stretch.

:jerkit:

Back