• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning's lineups and subs

The only thing that makes any sense with the lineups is that Van Horn is getting Hudson's minutes and O'Brien is getting Rondale's spot minutes. I guess that would keep the lineups and minutes more consistent when they come back.

It certainly doesn't seem like Manning values these early games much. It's also not like he sticks to predictable rotations either so I don't really see the value. Maybe it's a reward for the walkons and a punishment for the rule breakers to make a point...

Whatever the case, even with the lineups it was Dinos playing like an idiot that lost the game down the stretch, combined with terrible defense and, to be fair, some clutch shooting by Richmond. They're a pretty solid team and this isn't some travesty of a loss. Another 21 points from Crawford and 5 players in double digits. 34 minutes, 0 points, and 4 fouls from the VanHorn/O'Brien combo may be tough to make sense out of now, but that's a lot of minutes that will go to productive players in the near future.
Come on, man.

tough with such limited options, but with a team that scores on dribble drives and backdoor cuts, McClinton should have played a lot more than Van Horn. He may be our only good on-ball defender. Also, we really could have used Collins length more to defend the long threes

I agree completely with DCDeac. Texted the same thing in the second paragraph.

You agree that Manning is playing shitty lineups to punish the rule breakers?

I think that keeping minutes is consistent and he isn't overly concerned about this game in particular.

If he reinstates Hudson tomorrow then it as one game out of 30; and it shows Hudson how valuable he is to the team.

I remember last year we were playing at Clemson and went up 10 really early. And all of a sudden we had a lineup with Madison Jones, Aaron Rountree, and Andre Washington on the court at the same time. This was like 5 minutes into the game....

How the hell is playing Van Horn over McClinton and Wilbekin, or Collins only getting 12 minutes punishment for Crab? What is this asinine logic?

I'm pretty sure Manning is trying his best to win every game. He just failed miserably tonight.

I swear I saw O'Brien and VanHorn playing at the same time for a while - that can't be true, can it? I think it was those two, Crawford, Thomas - and I can't remember the 5th...

I swear I saw O'Brien and VanHorn playing at the same time for a while - that can't be true, can it? I think it was those two, Crawford, Thomas - and I can't remember the 5th...
It was Doral, O'Brien, Van Horn, McClinton, and Crawford.

Up there with a Bz special featuring Andre Washington, Madison Jones, and Aaron Rountree.

I think that keeping minutes is consistent and he isn't overly concerned about this game in particular.

If he reinstates Hudson tomorrow then it as one game out of 30; and it shows Hudson how valuable he is to the team.

LOL so you think Manning threw the game to prove a point to Hudson. Also, what we be the downside of playing McClinton 30 minutes for a few games and then 15 for the rest of the season? Who tf cares McClinton's minutes are consistent.

LOL so you think Manning threw the game to prove a point to Hudson. Also, what we be the downside of playing McClinton 30 minutes for a few games and then 15 for the rest of the season? Who tf cares McClinton's minutes are consistent.

No I actually think that keeping minutes consistent to what they are going to be long-term is what his primary strategy is.

Primarily, my point is that there is absolutely no logical reason for why tonight occurred and I would at least like to think that he has a plan instead of outright stupidity and futility as a head coach.

So it's hope more than anything.

If anyone thinks Manning would be playing Van Horn 28 minutes if this was the ACC tournament they are complete idiots.

Look at last year - first 3 games we had 10 guys with well-distributed double digit minutes even in a loss to Arkansas. By the end of the year it was mostly an 8 man rotation with 4 players getting 30+ when not in foul trouble.

I think there was fair criticism about Manning's lineups at times last year so I get the paranoia, but Manning's been coaching for a decade. It's not like he has some fundamental lack of understanding for how subs work or he doesn't understand playing Van Horn for 28 minutes at zero points is a good idea if the goal is to win a single game.

You'd think that the Wake fanbase - having watched Dino run elite talent into the ground without developing any 2nd tier guys early only to watch them predictably flame out every year down the stretch - might be ok bringing players along slowly. Regardless, it's a little early to write Manning off. UVA lost to GW, NC State got blown out by William and Mary. Shit happens early in the season - we'll see where Manning gets us by ACC time.

No I actually think that keeping minutes consistent to what they are going to be long-term is what his primary strategy is.

Primarily, my point is that there is absolutely no logical reason for why tonight occurred and I would at least like to think that he has a plan instead of outright stupidity and futility as a head coach.

So it's hope more than anything.

Either way it is stupidity. Maybe the worst stupidity would be to not value wins on a team that could make the post season, but would need a lot of things to go right. Not caring about early games would definitely be low IQ.

DCDeac wins the gold medal for mental gymnastics, no doubt.

I'd rather have John Collins play point guard for 20 minutes than van horn play at all

I understand seeking to develope the bench early in the season. So, why not play Collins and Moore more?

If anyone thinks Manning would be playing Van Horn 28 minutes if this was the ACC tournament they are complete idiots.

Look at last year - first 3 games we had 10 guys with well-distributed double digit minutes even in a loss to Arkansas. By the end of the year it was mostly an 8 man rotation with 4 players getting 30+ when not in foul trouble.

I think there was fair criticism about Manning's lineups at times last year so I get the paranoia, but Manning's been coaching for a decade. It's not like he has some fundamental lack of understanding for how subs work or he doesn't understand playing Van Horn for 28 minutes at zero points is a good idea if the goal is to win a single game.

You'd think that the Wake fanbase - having watched Dino run elite talent into the ground without developing any 2nd tier guys early only to watch them predictably flame out every year down the stretch - might be ok bringing players along slowly. Regardless, it's a little early to write Manning off. UVA lost to GW, NC State got blown out by William and Mary. Shit happens early in the season - we'll see where Manning gets us by ACC time.
So, with like 5 minutes left in the game, and Van Horn having logged 23 minutes and 0 points, Manning was like, "Keep Trent in there. Wouldn't want Greg's minutes all out of whack by 5 TOTAL MINUTES and get him all confused playing with the guys he started the game with."

Insanity.

What's the alternative?

That he's so stupid that he doesn't recognize what's going on?

Moonz and I sub in a big man all the time. Keep your rotation fresh and you'll never have to use a little man.

So, with like 5 minutes left in the game, and Van Horn having logged 23 minutes and 0 points, Manning was like, "Keep Trent in there. Wouldn't want Greg's minutes all out of whack by 5 TOTAL MINUTES and get him all confused playing with the guys he started the game with."

Insanity.

Seriously. This explanation is so stupid.

Back