• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning's lineups and subs

In a vacuum this game doesn't indicate any great problem, but in the context of 5.5 years of fucking gawd awful hoops, it's cause for alarm because so many of see the light at the end of the tunnel and think it's a train.

Only thing I can think of is that Manning values focus and effort over talent at this point in the season. Van Horn is out there because he plays hard and doesn't make mental errors. He just isn't very good.

With around six or seven minutes left (I think) Manning put in a lineup of Crawford, Wilbekin, McClinton, Collins, and Devin. Collins immediately scored but then picked up a dumb foul in reaction to not getting a rebound he should have gotten. That lineup should have finished out the game but Manning immediately put in Dinos or Van horn.

I witnessed neither tonight. This team shows zero killer instinct. This game has me disturbed.

In a vacuum this game doesn't indicate any great problem, but in the context of 5.5 years of fucking gawd awful hoops, it's cause for alarm because so many of see the light at the end of the tunnel and think it's a train.
I chuckled at this...only instead of a train the light is more like nagasaki circa 1945

Probably the most accurate post in the thread. The game threads get triple the posts when we go down by 12 than when we come back to get within 2. We're so abused as a fan base there's more revelling in potential failure than there is excitement at potential success.

Glug?

I think that keeping minutes is consistent and he isn't overly concerned about this game in particular.

If he reinstates Hudson tomorrow then it as one game out of 30; and it shows Hudson how valuable he is to the team.

Which shows Hudson how valuable he is to the team, which teaches him...

A) Keep your head on straight and do your job
B) If you fuck up again, that will suck, but you are valuable to the team, as I've shown you, so please don't fuck up again.

Not really. I mean, just listen to his presser. When asked a question he doesn't like, Manning calmly dodges it. When asked about Hudson and Rondale, he only remarks on Hudson. Manning spent 10 years at Kansas and he comes off as a hard-ass who believes the system and the prep is more important than the player. So if you do something stupid he'll plug in VanHorn because fuck you. If the scouting report says don't let player X shoot open 3's and our players keep losing him we're not zoning up because fuck that.

Feel free to think the guy is an idiot who has no idea what he's doing. If you acknowledge that he's has dedicated his entire life to the game of basketball including coaching from the ground floor up, it's pretty hard to buy into the "he has no idea what he's doing, I'm a dentist and even I could coach our substitutions better" reactions after game #3.

The Wellman-sage is now a Manning-sage.

Fantastic! Is there nothing you can't do oh reader of transcripts?

Full disclosure:

I didn't go to the game. I didn't bother to watch a minute of the game. I didn't bother to listen to a minute of the game.

I decided to do fall season reports for my own players all night instead even knowing that Wake was going to play tonight. Priorities.

If the people in charge DGAF about Wake being competitive in sports, then I DGAF about planning out my life around them anymore. Simple enough for me.

Correct and LOL

VH played too many minutes tonight for some reason ( Mclinton not playing defense?), Richmond was well coached, talented and played well, and we folded like a cheap lawn chair at the end. But we have two freshmen ( BC and JC) who are already good and appear to have the athletic ability and skill to be GREAT early in their careers. And Moore appears to be a year away but has this year to develop into a starter. With the three shooters , an athletic forward and the big center coming next year, there is reason for some optimism.

I'll worry more about line ups and rotations when we have our three other scholarship players back. It's the early season and it's tough to evaluate how players react in different situations without game experience.

I can say that it looked like Devin was getting pretty angry on the court and that could cause problems down the road.

It's sounding like a mid-season transfer of Mr Watson.. Good luck to him

There's definitely reason for optimism, but why - regardless of who coaches the team - do we give up so many open threes?

There's definitely reason for optimism, but why - regardless of who coaches the team - do we give up so many open threes?

I think it's a combination of something lacking in our talent pool and opponents who are very proficient at producing open looks. And they can knock down those open looks (as opposed to our iffy shooting).

I think that keeping minutes is consistent and he isn't overly concerned about this game in particular.

If he reinstates Hudson tomorrow then it as one game out of 30; and it shows Hudson how valuable he is to the team.

Not being concerned about pre-conference games is why Tulsa had to win the conference tournament to get the 13th seed.

Back