• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

65-66 start for Bill. He holds solo 2nd after the morning rounds.

Watching the Barbasol tournament.
They are killing it.
Haas is -20 and in third place.

Haas with the worst final round of anyone that finished in the top 50

Haas with the worst final round of anyone that finished in the top 50

Ouch.
He had such a good tournament going until the 18th hole on Saturday when he hit his tee shot in the water (he did have a great recovery and parred the hole). Unfortunately, he hit his tee shot in the water again on Sunday.

Bill eagles 18 to make the cut on the number. Needs a big weekend though.

That does top 150 get you?

Conditional PGA Tour status. Those players can get in a certain number of PGA events on a sponsor's exemption and get into others when the field is not full with players who are fully qualified. Also, I believe Haas has not used his one time exemption as a top 50 in overall money earnings. So, he could use that to retain his full card for next year. He still has next week's tournament in NC to get to the top 125, but will need to finish high on the leaderboard there, assuming he does not shoot lights out today. Bill hosed himself last week in KY. He was 3rd heading into the final round and had he finished in the top 5, Haas would have slid into the top 125, but he threw up on himself and finished out of the top 10.

Watching the Evian. Kupcho playing well. Now in 5th, I think.

I know this is not a new observation, but the thing that seems to defy explanation is that the women just can't putt. Why is that? I mean, I am a terrible putter but I'm not a professional golfer or even a decent club golfer. You would think that professional women and men would be about the same in putting skill but the men are so much better it is difficult to understand.

Having said that, the ball striking is impressive. The putting issue is a mystery to me, though.

Watching the Evian. Kupcho playing well. Now in 5th, I think.

I know this is not a new observation, but the thing that seems to defy explanation is that the women just can't putt. Why is that? I mean, I am a terrible putter but I'm not a professional golfer or even a decent club golfer. You would think that professional women and men would be about the same in putting skill but the men are so much better it is difficult to understand.

Having said that, the ball striking is impressive. The putting issue is a mystery to me, though.

I remember seeing an interview with Anika Sorenstam after she had played an event or two on the men’s tour. She said the biggest difference between the men’s and women’s tour was that the men get up and down from everywhere. She said the men expect to get up and down from places the women don’t even think about. Putting is obviously a big part of that.

Side note: Can't a top player still commit to the Wyndham 30 minutes after the St. Jude Classic even though the official deadline was last Friday?

The stats bear this out too - PGA players are 1-2 strokes better on the greens than their LPGA counterparts. Having said that, I thought Inbee Park was the best putter in the world for 2-3 years running a few years back. She used to can as many 15-30' putts as Spieth and was deadly inside of 6'. But her putting has fallen off in recent years.

The other thing about the LPGA is there is a bigger driving discrepancy than in the men's game. The longest drivers are putting it out there 280+ now, but there are still plenty who only hit it 240. The tour is still setting courses up in the 64-6600 range, so you'd think that some of the long hitters could just dominate at times, but none of them do because there is no DJ or Keopka out there who are both long and have deadly wedge games.

Also gotta say I'm not in love with golf this weekend. Evian shouldn't be a major and isn't my favorite track, and I've never considered the Memphis course to be 1 of the better on tour, and now it's a WGC. Though it's nice seeing Kupcho get a top-5.

Side note: Can't a top player still commit to the Wyndham 30 minutes after the St. Jude Classic even though the official deadline was last Friday?

The deadline was 30 minutes after Friday's play at those tournaments completed, not today's round (assuming you were in either the WGC or Barracuda Championship field...all others had until Friday at 5pm).

The stats bear this out too - PGA players are 1-2 strokes better on the greens than their LPGA counterparts. Having said that, I thought Inbee Park was the best putter in the world for 2-3 years running a few years back. She used to can as many 15-30' putts as Spieth and was deadly inside of 6'. But her putting has fallen off in recent years.

The other thing about the LPGA is there is a bigger driving discrepancy than in the men's game. The longest drivers are putting it out there 280+ now, but there are still plenty who only hit it 240. The tour is still setting courses up in the 64-6600 range, so you'd think that some of the long hitters could just dominate at times, but none of them do because there is no DJ or Keopka out there who are both long and have deadly wedge games.

Also gotta say I'm not in love with golf this weekend. Evian shouldn't be a major and isn't my favorite track, and I've never considered the Memphis course to be 1 of the better on tour, and now it's a WGC. Though it's nice seeing Kupcho get a top-5.

I agree with you about Memphis. Hopefully Rory and Brooks in the final pairing will make up for it.

Birdies 3 of the last 4 holes.
She should win a pretty nice paycheck today.
Kupcho - the great American hope on the LPGA.

Looks like she'll earn around $330,000, which will bring her to over $400,000 for the year. That should put her around #30 on the money list, depending on what others on the list in the 25-35 range earned this week.

Conditional PGA Tour status. Those players can get in a certain number of PGA events on a sponsor's exemption and get into others when the field is not full with players who are fully qualified. Also, I believe Haas has not used his one time exemption as a top 50 in overall money earnings. So, he could use that to retain his full card for next year. He still has next week's tournament in NC to get to the top 125, but will need to finish high on the leaderboard there, assuming he does not shoot lights out today. Bill hosed himself last week in KY. He was 3rd heading into the final round and had he finished in the top 5, Haas would have slid into the top 125, but he threw up on himself and finished out of the top 10.

Starting next year anything less than fully exempt is going to have a much harder time getting starts. They are reducing field sizes to 132 for many events. Guys playing off past champ status especially are going to mostly be frozen out.

Until Brooks and Rory made today watchable, I was way more interested in watching the Cuda than the swampass invitational.

Back